does anyone make unstuffed cabbage?

does anyone make unstuffed cabbage?

March 10th, 2011, 3:56 pm #1

I really want stuffed cabbage, but my cabbage is too small. The leaves wouldn't be big enough to roll. Does anyone make it in a casserole? Do you just throw it in there altogether with uncooked rice and raw, shredded cabbage?

March 10th, 2011, 4:23 pm #2

...if I were going to do this, I'd layer chopped cabbage on the bottom, filling in the middle and chopped cabbage on top. I'm thinking I might even like this better than traditional cabbage rolls. I make my cabbage rolls in the Crock Pot, so I'd probably try it for these, too. Let us know how it turns out!!

March 10th, 2011, 4:56 pm #3

I really want stuffed cabbage, but my cabbage is too small. The leaves wouldn't be big enough to roll. Does anyone make it in a casserole? Do you just throw it in there altogether with uncooked rice and raw, shredded cabbage?
Or "piggy soup" as it's known in eastern PA. Basically, chop up all of the ingredients and put them in a tomato base. You can do something similar to make stuffed pepper soup.

March 10th, 2011, 7:19 pm #4

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/unstuffed ... etail.aspx

I just googled unstuffed cabbage. Lots of recipes there! I've always wanted to try it becasue I'm too lazy to do the rolls.

EDIT: found this thread on another board:

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/s ... -Casserole

It has several recipes within the thread, all a little different. Intersting idea to cook it in the crockpot, too!
Last edited by Straitlover on March 10th, 2011, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LisaCNC

March 10th, 2011, 8:55 pm #5

I'm looking more for the method than the recipe since I like the recipe I always use. I looked at allrecipes.com before I asked, but they all use instant rice.

I made the sweet and sour tomato sauce and mixed it with about half a medium cabbage, chopped. Then put a layer of that on the bottom of a pyrex dish, scooped balls of the meat mixture onto that with an ice cream scoop (it isn't firm enough to make solid balls) and then put the rest of the sauce/cabbage over the top. My sauce was a bit thicker this time so I added a bit of water before covering it with foil. The recipe says to do it on the stovetop on a low heat, but I've always done it in the oven.

I'll let you know how it turns out. It's definitely less hassle than making cabbage rolls the traditional way.

March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm #6

what's the verdict?

March 11th, 2011, 10:21 pm #7

It took nearly three hours for the cabbbage to soften completely so I'd cook the cabbage a bit before assembling. I could either steam it a bit before mixing it in the sauce or just cook it in the sauce itself before assembling the casserole.

I'd also make the meatballs smaller. Without the limitation of what a leaf can hold, I made them pretty big, but they don't get quite as much sauce soaked in that way.

It was good though, and ds even ate the cabbage. He usually unrolls the roll and eats the meat. We put it over mashed potatoes. The part I don't like about making stuffed cabbage is parboiling the head of cabbage and prying the leaves off, having to cut part of the ribs off to get them to roll, running out of big leaves, etc. So I'll probably do unstuffed from now on.

March 12th, 2011, 11:13 pm #8

I haven't made it since I quit eating bacon, I don't think... I always made it with leftovers. Mix cooked white rice and either cooked or raw cabbage, whatever kind of fat you want (though bacon fat is what you would normally see) and bacon.

Some people here don't put the bacon in it- just the fat...

Then you put your roasterful of stuff in the oven and cook (or heat) until everything is ready.

March 13th, 2011, 10:15 am #9

Love stuffed cabbage casserole!!

Usually I layer cabbage, saurkraut, and meat mixture (with rice) in a crockpot and let it cook all day. It's yummy!!

March 13th, 2011, 9:39 pm #10

My mom makes it with sauerkraut, and I like it that way but my family prefers it without.

Do you cook the rice or cabbage before you put it in the crockpot? And do you use instant rice or regular? If I could make it with raw cabbage in the crockpot that would be even easier!