Does anyone have a setter, Irish or any other?

Does anyone have a setter, Irish or any other?

December 15th, 2011, 6:07 pm #1

If so, does he or she point at any & everything?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

December 16th, 2011, 9:27 pm #2

I have grown up with my parents having a hunting dog at all times since before I came along... English pointers, Brittany spaniels, now they have a setter... can't recall which type... some dogs will point at anything, others can't be bothered to point at a bird in the field..... My dad hunts with a guy who uses a full poodle to hunt with- has hunted with him for years and it is a great hunting dog... odd.... but yes, some seem to go in over drive...

December 16th, 2011, 10:49 pm #3

My mother claims her dachshund points too.

Dh wants another dog. We had setters for years and I always wondered if their behavior was typical or just because that's all they had to do in our backyard.

I'm not ready for another dog (and neither is the cat . This isn't the greatest time of year to be outside training a hunting dog and I'm not sure dh has the energy for it anymore. I remember it being fairly intensive with our first dog 23 years ago.

------

December 17th, 2011, 12:11 am #4

nt.

Myra in West Texas

December 17th, 2011, 4:24 am #5

I've never watched it, but just figured it was mainly huskies. Do they pull the sled too?

------

December 17th, 2011, 3:07 pm #6

thing I think, just to prove a point, and yes they pulled a sled. For three years.. in that race just finishing is a big deal.

now the rules are that no dogs but northern breeds can run it

http://thepoodleanddogblog.typepad.com/ ... n-the.html

Myra in West Texas

December 17th, 2011, 4:00 pm #7

but I laughed for a couple of minutes over this sentence Alaska, where women win the Iditarod and men mush Poodles,

I keep forgetting there are big poodles. Most I see are the small ones.

------

December 17th, 2011, 4:53 pm #8

My mother claims her dachshund points too.

Dh wants another dog. We had setters for years and I always wondered if their behavior was typical or just because that's all they had to do in our backyard.

I'm not ready for another dog (and neither is the cat . This isn't the greatest time of year to be outside training a hunting dog and I'm not sure dh has the energy for it anymore. I remember it being fairly intensive with our first dog 23 years ago.

------
hunting dogs are almost always very high energy.... I just can't take them. My parents have one now... he's 6 or 7 but still actly like a hyper puppy. He is also not great with kids.... He's worse with the kids than my terrier/bichon mix dogs....

December 17th, 2011, 5:00 pm #9

If so, does he or she point at any & everything?

------
I enjoy seeing dogs pointing...The Irish we had growing up pointed all the time, he smiled too:> I have a English springer, he points quite a bit and he is pretty high energy fortunately he runs a lot during the day to burn it off...
Gus even points some...he is mostly Rottie with a few other things mixed in:>

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

December 17th, 2011, 8:42 pm #10

hunting dogs are almost always very high energy.... I just can't take them. My parents have one now... he's 6 or 7 but still actly like a hyper puppy. He is also not great with kids.... He's worse with the kids than my terrier/bichon mix dogs....
They are very laid back, great with kids, but turn into a hunting machine when they heard the words "Load up"

------