Does anyone compost?

Does anyone compost?

July 29th, 2012, 1:34 pm #1

If so what do you use to contain the pile? Also does anyone vermiculture? Just interested in how you are doing either or both. Thanks!

July 29th, 2012, 2:35 pm #2

I did have a compost bin one time and it got ants and a snake apparently thought it was a great warm place to sleep. So I got rid of that and now I dig a hole between the rows in my garden and bury the compost every time I dump my house bin. Then, in the spring and fall when I till, it is nicely composted and right where I need it.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

July 30th, 2012, 12:55 pm #3

The plan is to extend the garden 20 ft from the back fence out and down the length of the yard. Which would be quite a bit of space. For now I need to just make a compost pile somewhere and get that going. I also need to decide where my asparagus bed is gonna be for the next 10 years! I'd like to start worm composting mainly for my house plants and flowers. Also building a greenhouse is in the plans too.

July 30th, 2012, 1:57 pm #4

it was good enough to start with. I just made a circle and stood it up and started throwing grass clippings etc. into it. The next several piles used a fence wire as it's a bit sturdier for weeds, vegetables, leaves etc.

Check out your local feed supply store. They've got lots of stuff you could use and it's a reasonable price too.

I've never had any problem at all with pests in the compost and I live in a suburban neighbourhood

July 30th, 2012, 2:33 pm #5

If so what do you use to contain the pile? Also does anyone vermiculture? Just interested in how you are doing either or both. Thanks!
Try the composting forum on Garden web. I got a LOT of serious compost advice there.

July 30th, 2012, 2:50 pm #6

lol

We have a row of trees between us and the neighbors...and old fencerow. We have 3-4 piles there. One is a huge mound of weeds from the garden that we just let sit and dig nice soil from the bottom every so often. Then we have 2-3 piles of vegetable waste, and non weed plants from the garden, in various stages of decay. Usually one we are digging from, one "baking" and one we are adding to. Right now the smaller piles are virtually non-existant, but the weed pile is huge, lol.

We turn them, and add water if it's really dry, but overall we don;t do much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives being questioned.
Last edited by SingingSkies on July 30th, 2012, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 30th, 2012, 3:12 pm #7

When a pile gets to be 3 to 4 feet high, she starts another one.

------

July 30th, 2012, 4:29 pm #8

I wired some free pallets together, a la Amy D, behind my shed.  A lot of my green ways have fallen to the wayside when I started working full time, and this is one of them.

July 30th, 2012, 5:54 pm #9

I did have a compost bin one time and it got ants and a snake apparently thought it was a great warm place to sleep. So I got rid of that and now I dig a hole between the rows in my garden and bury the compost every time I dump my house bin. Then, in the spring and fall when I till, it is nicely composted and right where I need it.

------
My parents save every bit of peel etc to throw outside in a pile. I've been interested in doing it for our garden until I just read the word 'snake'!! I am phoebic of snakes! My dh does keep the glass trimmings in a pile out by the shed and puts those in the garden in the spring. Maybe that's all we will be saving!
Jaime

July 30th, 2012, 6:07 pm #10

I don't know that it would be a problem with an open pile.

------