Do you know what happens to clothes that mildew?

Do you know what happens to clothes that mildew?

June 21st, 2012, 10:23 pm #1

I found out today! They rot! I thought they just got black spots on them and were stinky.

I've been searching for DD's new bathing suit and haven't seen it since we got back from Costa Rica (in February!). It was inside a plastic grocery bag of wet clothes that she left inside a zippered pocket of her suitcase when she unpacked. Now I've left wet clothes in the washer a few times and had them get a little stinky, but I've never (in 66 years!) had a full-blown case of mildew before.

I washed everything in Tide with Bleach Alternative, and the cotton stuff came out in shreds. The bathing suit is nylon and it seems to be OK. Due to the pattern, if it has black spots, they don't show. No stink, either. Before I send the suit to Boise with DD, I'm going to have her put it on to be sure it doesn't explode!

June 22nd, 2012, 12:50 am #2

February?! I can't believe you even opened a bag of 3+ month old wet laundry. You deserve a frugalista medal for that one!

June 22nd, 2012, 2:32 am #3

------
The road to success is always under construction.

June 22nd, 2012, 11:11 am #4

I found out today! They rot! I thought they just got black spots on them and were stinky.

I've been searching for DD's new bathing suit and haven't seen it since we got back from Costa Rica (in February!). It was inside a plastic grocery bag of wet clothes that she left inside a zippered pocket of her suitcase when she unpacked. Now I've left wet clothes in the washer a few times and had them get a little stinky, but I've never (in 66 years!) had a full-blown case of mildew before.

I washed everything in Tide with Bleach Alternative, and the cotton stuff came out in shreds. The bathing suit is nylon and it seems to be OK. Due to the pattern, if it has black spots, they don't show. No stink, either. Before I send the suit to Boise with DD, I'm going to have her put it on to be sure it doesn't explode!
how it's gonna hold up? I would think that it may fall apart sooner than later. If nothing else I would add looking for a bathing suit on the list of things to keep an eye open for in the thrift shops!

June 22nd, 2012, 4:22 pm #5

Eww! LOL nt