do you frequent a farmer's market?

do you frequent a farmer's market?

May 19th, 2012, 4:16 pm #1

Ds and I went to the one in our town this morning. I love the Italian Market in South Philly because the produce is cheap and the place is entertaining, plus I love the spice shops. I know it's not really fair to compare my tiny town's market to the one in Philly, but the market in our town is really expensive. I get that the point is fresh and local, but I honestly cannot afford to pay $5 for a quart of strawberries or $6 for mushrooms. I wish I could because it's within walking distance. Still fun to stroll around, I guess, but not as a source of produce for us.

The one we went to in Michigan was roughly the same as grocery store prices, but much of the produce was local. What is yours like and do you shop there on a regular basis?
Last edited by SandyinMI on May 20th, 2012, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 19th, 2012, 4:58 pm #2

as well.. I love to go look around... Seems to me that since there is no middle man... they should make more for their products, and prices should be a bit less....not the way it works here...I know gardening is hard work.. but unfortunately if I want fresh I have to grow it...can not afford it otherwise. Here is an online farmers market... check out the prices of meat and vegies.... would love to support these local people... but just can't http://www.localfoodmarketplace.com/rog ... tList.aspx

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."
Last edited by TrinaOR on May 19th, 2012, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 19th, 2012, 8:31 pm #3

Ds and I went to the one in our town this morning. I love the Italian Market in South Philly because the produce is cheap and the place is entertaining, plus I love the spice shops. I know it's not really fair to compare my tiny town's market to the one in Philly, but the market in our town is really expensive. I get that the point is fresh and local, but I honestly cannot afford to pay $5 for a quart of strawberries or $6 for mushrooms. I wish I could because it's within walking distance. Still fun to stroll around, I guess, but not as a source of produce for us.

The one we went to in Michigan was roughly the same as grocery store prices, but much of the produce was local. What is yours like and do you shop there on a regular basis?
Last year we were in a drought, so I do understand prices being higher, but $6 for a small basket of okra (probably a pint) floored me. I was glad I had my own at home, even though it probably cost that much or more with the water bill I was paying.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 20th, 2012, 12:54 pm #4

I have always frequented local, farmers markets here, since moving to CT in '87. There is only one, local farmer, however, who I would consider reasonable to shop from. He comes from a long legacy of farmers, farming the land for over 300 years. Don is the man, when it comes to good prices. The rest? they seem to cater to the NYC crowd who weekend here. @@

I also joined an organic, CSA right here in my town. Thrilled that I did! $600 upfront for 20 weeks of truly local, orgnanic produce. We are invited to glean the fields at some point, there is often a "take all you can use" basket, and at the end of the season, there is a "please take this if you can use it" table. I made good use of this program and signed up again for 2012's season which will start in about a month. I was also able to phone ahead or call the farmer and ask for a bulk price on cukes for pickling/relish, or tomatoes. VERY reasonable, additional expense.

So, like everything else, know your prices, have your price book limit in your head when you shop. Also, try shopping directly at local farms, vs going to farmers markets, their prices tend to be better as there are less transportation costs. Just a thought. That seems to work here in New England and I've seen it in the Carolinas.

May 20th, 2012, 3:02 pm #5

as well.. I love to go look around... Seems to me that since there is no middle man... they should make more for their products, and prices should be a bit less....not the way it works here...I know gardening is hard work.. but unfortunately if I want fresh I have to grow it...can not afford it otherwise. Here is an online farmers market... check out the prices of meat and vegies.... would love to support these local people... but just can't http://www.localfoodmarketplace.com/rog ... tList.aspx

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."
We go to a couple markets every week. Today we bought apricots, beet greens and tomatoes...plus a rosemary plant. The prices are lower than the shops and the produce seasonal.

May 21st, 2012, 3:05 am #6

I have always frequented local, farmers markets here, since moving to CT in '87. There is only one, local farmer, however, who I would consider reasonable to shop from. He comes from a long legacy of farmers, farming the land for over 300 years. Don is the man, when it comes to good prices. The rest? they seem to cater to the NYC crowd who weekend here. @@

I also joined an organic, CSA right here in my town. Thrilled that I did! $600 upfront for 20 weeks of truly local, orgnanic produce. We are invited to glean the fields at some point, there is often a "take all you can use" basket, and at the end of the season, there is a "please take this if you can use it" table. I made good use of this program and signed up again for 2012's season which will start in about a month. I was also able to phone ahead or call the farmer and ask for a bulk price on cukes for pickling/relish, or tomatoes. VERY reasonable, additional expense.

So, like everything else, know your prices, have your price book limit in your head when you shop. Also, try shopping directly at local farms, vs going to farmers markets, their prices tend to be better as there are less transportation costs. Just a thought. That seems to work here in New England and I've seen it in the Carolinas.
I am willing to pay a bit more than store prices for local home grown - I'm not willing to pay double the prices of the grocery store - which often buy it from the same farmer during our growing season.

I shop the farmers market first, when it's in season and then the grocery store.
glendaMO

May 21st, 2012, 4:41 pm #7

I love to support them, but not when it gets crazy expensive..... Last summer we saw corn being sold at the local farm market for $1 an ear! I'm sorry but that is insane when you get 3/$1 at the grocery store! There are farms you can drive to that are cheaper but it's still usually $6 a dozen from them....

Raspberries sell for $4 a pint, I'm so glad I have bushes of them here that produce pretty well....