Do you find grocery ads helpful?

Do you find grocery ads helpful?

March 7th, 2012, 10:28 pm #1

I look forward to checking out the grocery ads, we get 8 or 9 different store ads a week. But it seems more and more lately I don't find any really good deals. Most of the items that are on special sale we don't buy. I usually just check out what veggies and meat is on sale and then pick up basics when I shop. Some weeks I don't even go to the store because I don't see anything worth picking up.

I know the way I cook has changed but I didn't realize how much my shopping had.

How do you shop and are the ads helpful?

March 7th, 2012, 10:50 pm #2

I shop the loss leaders on the front pages and then generally buy everything else at Aldi or Bottom Dollar where the prices are pretty low all the time. I buy very few convenience items so I rarely use coupons or most of the things advertised in the sale ads. Some weeks I don't look at the ads at all.

March 7th, 2012, 11:25 pm #3

I look forward to checking out the grocery ads, we get 8 or 9 different store ads a week. But it seems more and more lately I don't find any really good deals. Most of the items that are on special sale we don't buy. I usually just check out what veggies and meat is on sale and then pick up basics when I shop. Some weeks I don't even go to the store because I don't see anything worth picking up.

I know the way I cook has changed but I didn't realize how much my shopping had.

I often plan my menus around them. Sometimes they have some really great prices on stuff and it isn't just the front page. You have to dig a bit. Yes, these are often convenience items, but we do buy convenience items and it is nice to stock up on them when they are half price or even less sometimes. I pretty much only shop at one store and costco so I don't read any of the other ads. Other stores are just too far out of the way.

March 8th, 2012, 4:55 am #4

I read the Fred Meyer, Super One and, sometimes, the Trading Co. ads. Fred Meyer (a Kroger affiliate) usually has the best prices. Like CC, I mostly use the ads to point me to the best deals on meat and produce, but I look through the entire ad and usually find a few other things I need. I don't generally bother with the Safeway and Albertson's ads. Not only are their prices higher, but the ads are much harder to read.

March 8th, 2012, 1:12 pm #5

this week the best loss leaders are things for St Pat's day... if you don't want/need corned beef/carrots/potatos or cabbage then you are just out of luck....

March 8th, 2012, 3:25 pm #6

Particularly if it is a caselot sale. I doubt very much is an actual loss leader. I've noticed the price of peanut butter, tomato products and battered or breaded fish are much lower than usual this last month. Not sure why... but I'll take it.

March 9th, 2012, 3:48 am #7

We peruse them for the things we NEED. When TP is getting low, or just when its on super sale the ads tell us where to go get it. Our local store still has great deals.