Dear Emily Post, I need help

Dear Emily Post, I need help

February 1st, 2012, 4:10 pm #1

The boss is taking Dh & I and two other reps and wives to an expensive steak house. Dh won an award and I guess the other two did too.

What does one wear to an expensive restaurant?

Dh printed the menu so I wouldn't embarrass him by taking so long to order, and it's either steak, veal chop, lamp chop, salmon, or lobster. The company is paying for it, but would it be best to order from the cheap end, Filet Mignon, or more expensive, Porterhouse?

Salads and side dishes are priced separately too. Order one or both?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

February 1st, 2012, 5:26 pm #2

In instances where others are paying, I usually order the second cheapest thing of what I like (don't want them saying "oh, you don't have to pick the cheapest thing!" and be all embarrassed).

W/ a steak, I ahve to have a starch and a veggie, so I would either get salad or some cooked veggie and a potato. No creamed spinach, though! Taht's supposed to be big at these fancy steakhouses. I personally wouldn't knwo becasue I've never been to one - LOL!

As far as clothes, if I can wear it to church on Sunday morning, that's good enough for me!
LisaCNC

February 1st, 2012, 6:10 pm #3

The boss is taking Dh & I and two other reps and wives to an expensive steak house. Dh won an award and I guess the other two did too.

Dh printed the menu so I wouldn't embarrass him by taking so long to order, and it's either steak, veal chop, lamp chop, salmon, or lobster. The company is paying for it, but would it be best to order from the cheap end, Filet Mignon, or more expensive, Porterhouse?

------
I called ahead and asked how we should dress, and they told me to dress like I was going to church or an opera, so we did. If they are taking you to some expensive place, they aren't tryin to save money, so I'd order what you want and not worry about it! But I'd order something that wasn't gonna be messy to eat, maybe pass on something like ribs or crab legs!

February 1st, 2012, 6:12 pm #4

------
I would wear a comfortable but nice pant suit or dress...not too fancy, but not too casual. As far as dinner goes, I'd order salmon, a salad and a veggie side dish. Or I'd order a soup to start and the salmon with a side salad. For dessert I'd order either a fresh fruit if it's available or a small dish of ice cream or gelato.

If you are ordering the steak, order the smaller cut of whatever steak you would rather. I like Filet as it's a bit smaller than a porterhouse and you don't have to cut around the bone. Then I'd order a small salad to start and have the steak with mushrooms and a baked potato with sour cream.

It's all about choice when you have an 'a la carte' menu. then you don't just have to go with the veg of the day.

Enjoy yourself and have fun.

February 1st, 2012, 6:18 pm #5

I like Lisa's advice too about not ordering the cheapest thing. I wish I knew which cut would be the most tender. I haven't been eating a lot of beef lately because it gets stuck between a crown I need to have replaced.

------

February 1st, 2012, 6:28 pm #6

I'd guess filet mignon or ribeye.
LisaCNC

February 1st, 2012, 6:31 pm #7

I like Lisa's advice too about not ordering the cheapest thing. I wish I knew which cut would be the most tender. I haven't been eating a lot of beef lately because it gets stuck between a crown I need to have replaced.

------
is likely the filet or the porterhouse, which has the filet and the bone and some additional on the sides. I'd wear a pantsuit or dress. Like PJ said, they're taking you to a fancy place and aren't worried about what you're going to order so I wouldn't sweat it too much. I know what you mean about being uncomfortable though. To me, a dinner out with the boss is not a great prize, it's an obligation.

February 1st, 2012, 6:35 pm #8

In instances where others are paying, I usually order the second cheapest thing of what I like (don't want them saying "oh, you don't have to pick the cheapest thing!" and be all embarrassed).

W/ a steak, I ahve to have a starch and a veggie, so I would either get salad or some cooked veggie and a potato. No creamed spinach, though! Taht's supposed to be big at these fancy steakhouses. I personally wouldn't knwo becasue I've never been to one - LOL!

As far as clothes, if I can wear it to church on Sunday morning, that's good enough for me!
I have a thing about other people spending money on me; it makes me very uncomfortable. Stems from childhood, I think (people spend money on you and hold it over your head when they want something). If you feel comfortable ordering anything at all, have at it.

One day I'll see a therapist about all my hangups, LOL!
LisaCNC

February 1st, 2012, 7:07 pm #9

------

February 1st, 2012, 8:36 pm #10

------
I'd rather be over dressed than underdressed.

Expensive dinner with the boss i'd go fancier than just sunday best. Heck - i'd likely even put on makeup!