deal on gingerbread house kits

deal on gingerbread house kits

December 1st, 2011, 8:31 pm #1

Aldi's has gingerbread house kits for $6.99 this week. Ds put one together from Aldi's last year and he had so much fun. It comes with the gingerbread pieces, a plastic tray that makes putting the pieces together really easy, royal icing and candy. We haven't made it yet this year, probably will Saturday or Sunday. Last time there was more than enough candy and icing for everything. Last year it was $4.99. I can't remember if it was on clearance after Christmas or if prices have just gone up that much. I looked at other places and didn't see one less than $10 and most were $12 or more.

I tried making one from a recipe when I was a kid and it was a massive failure.

December 1st, 2011, 8:40 pm #2

we have been making the aldi kids for a long time! This year may well be the first year we don't.... instead I bought a $1.49 box of their gingerbread mix and am gonna search for my big gingerbread man cookie cutters and decorate those... I got one of those Aldi multi packs with the sprinkles in all the differnt colors and hope they will be enough for all our holiday baking- the gingerbread men plus cakes/cup cakes/sugar cookies....

I may yet break down and get the gingerbread house kit... we'll see what I need for groceries next week and if there is enough $ left...

December 1st, 2011, 9:18 pm #3

I used to make gingerbread men with the Joy of Cooking recipe but haven't in a long time. If I can find my cutters I may have to do that too. I know ds would love that, they're so much fun to decorate. I know the sprinkle thing you're talking about because I saw it there too. Trust me, you will have PLENTY of sprinkles. Way more than enough for this year.

December 1st, 2011, 9:22 pm #4

They come in the regular graham cracker box but they are shaped for houses. I didn't look at it closely, so i don;t knwo waht the difference is, but I did see them on the shelf.

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/Brands/Prod ... 4400001279
LisaCNC

December 1st, 2011, 11:10 pm #5

I used to make gingerbread men with the Joy of Cooking recipe but haven't in a long time. If I can find my cutters I may have to do that too. I know ds would love that, they're so much fun to decorate. I know the sprinkle thing you're talking about because I saw it there too. Trust me, you will have PLENTY of sprinkles. Way more than enough for this year.
granted, all the favorite ones are gone but still there were plenty for them to have fun decorating cupcakes and a cake, and theres more for next year.....

December 2nd, 2011, 4:16 am #6

They come in the regular graham cracker box but they are shaped for houses. I didn't look at it closely, so i don;t knwo waht the difference is, but I did see them on the shelf.

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/Brands/Prod ... 4400001279
But they're not in the shapes to make houses, just regular rectangles. On the back of the box there are instructions to make a house though. We've made them from plain graham crackers before and they were very petite and cute but you have to be patient holding them together while the icing sets up enough. Or my royal icing may have been off.