Dead washing machine

Dead washing machine

January 19th, 2012, 1:51 am #1

AND the repair person said "It will cost more to fix it than a new one costs.". Has this guy actually priced washing machines lately?!?!!? My Whirlpool washer is about 22 years old and part of the family. It has all metal parts and I had hoped to leave it to my children when I die

So, top-loading, NOT HE washing machine recommendations, please?

January 19th, 2012, 3:54 am #2

I thought they could be fixed forever. Still not sure they can't. What was the problem?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

January 19th, 2012, 4:15 am #3

AND the repair person said "It will cost more to fix it than a new one costs.". Has this guy actually priced washing machines lately?!?!!? My Whirlpool washer is about 22 years old and part of the family. It has all metal parts and I had hoped to leave it to my children when I die

...and it is also 22+ years old. No repairs yet. I was devastated when the matching dryer died 1-1/2 years ago. I bought a Kenmore gas dryer, and it doesn't bother me at all that they don't match.

Nothing to recommend, but a lot of sympathy for you.

January 19th, 2012, 1:02 pm #4

had to be replaced a few years ago, 3-4? It was the washer and dryer we bought soon after getting married, and it had been faithful to us for nearly 30 years, it'd washed laundry for my 3 babies, and watched them grow up, it washed dirty diapers, and more baby clothes for my oldest granddaughter before laying down on the job. We were sad to see it go. Dh had replaced numerous parts on the dryer, and the washer, but in the end, the washer motor was shot and he broke the heartbreaking news to me. We gave his neice got the dryer, and warned her that it might not last long, as it's life long partner had given up the ghost. This Christmas she informed us, she's still using it daily, doing laundry for 4 little girls, and she's not had to work on it. Apparently the dryer has found a new life tending to the care of children. Dh was sure that it'd follow the washer to heaven shortly after parted, and insisted we purchase a new set.

We have a middle of the line Kenmore w/d set, that is getting a good work out today. My daughter got a new set, a couple months after we bought ours, and it's also a Kenmore. We got the set one step below what we got for us. Visually, her lint vent is on the top of the dryer, mine is not, I'm not sure of any other real differences, I may have more washer settings, but the only setting she needs is "full", lol.

After so many years of having an affair with Kenmore, I couldn't see any reason not to stick with them for hopefully the next 20 years.

----
I was glad to read you were after a top loader. My sister has a front loader, she bought the first one about 8 years ago, she is now on washer #3 - the store replaced it the first time, after replacing the seal numerous times, they agreed that it was a lemon - and she replaced it a year or so ago, ... I love my top loader, it may use a couple gallons of water, and it may mean my septic needs pumped, but that's still cheaper than replacing the $$$ washer every 5-6 years.
glendaMO

January 19th, 2012, 1:31 pm #5

When I replaced my washer awhile back (no more than 2 yrs ago), there were very few old school top loaders on the floor at Lowes. Most of them were bottom level brands (Roper, etc) w/ not very many options. I ended up getting a top loader HE Whirpool, but w/ the knobs, not electronic/digital buttons. It's OK, but it does not clean like my old school washer.

According to their commercials, Sears has the most to choose from these days, so I'd just head there and see what they have available and then start researching.
LisaCNC

January 19th, 2012, 1:32 pm #6

A few years ago both my washer and dryer died within weeks of each other. I was on my way to the dept store to price out washers - DH was at a political event and mentioned why i wasn't there and one of the candidates tells him "oh our neighbor's dad just passed away and they're looking to unload his washer - got us the number and $100 later I had a 6 month old washer (which smelled like dog but it didn't make my stuff smell - just the washer smelled after use!) poor old guy - the landlord yitched at him about the water bill so he only used the washer once in a while for the dog bedding - and still did his clothes in the sink!!

The dryer - I found selling Girl Scout cookies! one mom was apologizing for her living room being covered in folded wash and i said that my house was full of drying racks; they'd just got a great deal on a HE washer and matching dryer, even though their dryer was less than a year old, they wanted matching set (stupid!) so I got me a $100 dryer too!! (and found $3.75 in change in it!) the gerbil had been living it for a while - but that smell went out in three cycles!!

Found them both the same weekend!! Put it out there that you're looking!

January 19th, 2012, 1:35 pm #7

When I replaced my washer awhile back (no more than 2 yrs ago), there were very few old school top loaders on the floor at Lowes. Most of them were bottom level brands (Roper, etc) w/ not very many options. I ended up getting a top loader HE Whirpool, but w/ the knobs, not electronic/digital buttons. It's OK, but it does not clean like my old school washer.

According to their commercials, Sears has the most to choose from these days, so I'd just head there and see what they have available and then start researching.
I inherited an old Kenmore set with the duplex and they had languished in my shed for about 5 years. I am using them in Harrison and I love them! Both the washer and dryer are making some noises that have me worried, but I sure do like how they wash and dry! I hope they last a LONG time, and never mind the noise.

January 19th, 2012, 5:25 pm #8

I swear they are in the bussiness of selling new ones, not fixing old ones... If it was thru Sears or another big company that sells washers, I would try calling and independent repair person who does not sell washers....

January 19th, 2012, 7:37 pm #9

BUT DH did call Sears yesterday afternoon and they said they'd have a technician contact us before 10:00 a.m. today. It's 11:35 a.m. Guess what? No call. Am I surprised? Not much. DH has another independent guy coming today. Supposedly the spring that holds the suspension system for the washer tub is broken. I'm assuming there's a bunch of labor involved and that's why the first guy said "Buy a new washer."? 'cuz, really, how expensive is a spring?

January 19th, 2012, 7:43 pm #10

had to be replaced a few years ago, 3-4? It was the washer and dryer we bought soon after getting married, and it had been faithful to us for nearly 30 years, it'd washed laundry for my 3 babies, and watched them grow up, it washed dirty diapers, and more baby clothes for my oldest granddaughter before laying down on the job. We were sad to see it go. Dh had replaced numerous parts on the dryer, and the washer, but in the end, the washer motor was shot and he broke the heartbreaking news to me. We gave his neice got the dryer, and warned her that it might not last long, as it's life long partner had given up the ghost. This Christmas she informed us, she's still using it daily, doing laundry for 4 little girls, and she's not had to work on it. Apparently the dryer has found a new life tending to the care of children. Dh was sure that it'd follow the washer to heaven shortly after parted, and insisted we purchase a new set.

We have a middle of the line Kenmore w/d set, that is getting a good work out today. My daughter got a new set, a couple months after we bought ours, and it's also a Kenmore. We got the set one step below what we got for us. Visually, her lint vent is on the top of the dryer, mine is not, I'm not sure of any other real differences, I may have more washer settings, but the only setting she needs is "full", lol.

After so many years of having an affair with Kenmore, I couldn't see any reason not to stick with them for hopefully the next 20 years.

----
I was glad to read you were after a top loader. My sister has a front loader, she bought the first one about 8 years ago, she is now on washer #3 - the store replaced it the first time, after replacing the seal numerous times, they agreed that it was a lemon - and she replaced it a year or so ago, ... I love my top loader, it may use a couple gallons of water, and it may mean my septic needs pumped, but that's still cheaper than replacing the $$$ washer every 5-6 years.
I love your description of your relationship with your deceased Kenmore washer I am now living in fear that all the other appliances in my house will get together while I'm sleeping and decide that they, too, want to go to appliance Heaven!