Cookie sheets?

Cookie sheets?

November 23rd, 2010, 12:06 pm #1

I need cookie sheets... probably 3 of them... I have been keeping my eyes open at the thrift shops but have not found any good ones... so I am gonna have to buy some. I am planning to look at Bed, Bath and Beyond (have a coupon) or else BJs. Anyone have any advice?

Years ago I bought the non stick kind, but they did not hold up well. I hear they are better now, does anyone have any opinions on them? Whats "good"? What should I plan for them to cost me? I have a pretty limited budget this week but I promised my kids we could make some cookies...

November 23rd, 2010, 12:09 pm #2

Could you throw a party to earn them? I absolutely ADORE them. They are all I own now.

If you do buy cookie sheets, my recommendation is to forego the dark non-stick ones. They always seem to burn. I had the air cookie sheets, but you can't get water between the layers, so I hated those, too. And aluminum is so bad for you....

Guess I'm not much help! You could always buy the disposable ones (double up, though--they're too flimsy to move from counter to oven with stuff in them) and save for the PC pans.

Oh, one thing I've learned over the years is to preheat the PC pans or your first batch will take like 20 minutes.

ba

November 23rd, 2010, 12:15 pm #3

and I truly do not have the $$ to lay out for a party..

November 23rd, 2010, 12:26 pm #4

I need cookie sheets... probably 3 of them... I have been keeping my eyes open at the thrift shops but have not found any good ones... so I am gonna have to buy some. I am planning to look at Bed, Bath and Beyond (have a coupon) or else BJs. Anyone have any advice?

Years ago I bought the non stick kind, but they did not hold up well. I hear they are better now, does anyone have any opinions on them? Whats "good"? What should I plan for them to cost me? I have a pretty limited budget this week but I promised my kids we could make some cookies...
I have 6 of the airbake pans and love those. Cookies bake really well on them. I do add several minutes to the cooking time for each recipe. As Bethann said, you aren't supposed to immerse them in water because it takes a long time to drain out. I wash them in my sink and stand them up to dry. I have two smaller ones that go in the dishwasher. I received two as wedding gifts and the rest have been collected from garage sales over the years.

I also really like standard half-sheet pans. Mine are from Sam's Club. They're incredibly sturdy and inexpensive. I prefer the airbake for cookies, but I use these for everything else like roasting vegetables, making pizza, under meatloaf, etc. Today and tomorrow I'll be using them for toasting cornbread cubes for stuffing and baking whole sweet potatoes.

November 23rd, 2010, 12:38 pm #5

bought mine from a southern living party but the local kitchen store has the same thing. love them. hard to burn cookies and they do not stick. surface is slightly textured, can't think how to describe it. Williams Sonoma sells something similar. Or just get a silpat baking sheet. Had the air ones, like these better.

Myra in West Texas

November 23rd, 2010, 1:12 pm #6

i LOVE my airbake cookie sheet - but if you're buying only get the silver - the black ones burn.

i used to use jelly roll pans (no parchment). a 9x13 baking pan would work in a pinch, a pizza stone, Parchment over aluminum foil in a glass pan could work?

my favorite is a hand me down from MIL, paper thin, very long with curved up ends, and a very subltle texture to it. nothing sticks, nothing burns!

my last 10x15 jelly roll pan was $3 at a local dept store. check closeout stores too.

November 23rd, 2010, 3:15 pm #7

I have an aluminum cookie sheet from the 1950s that is far superior to anything I've ever used. I don't worry much about aluminum being bad for me because I don't use it often. I also have a Wearever nonstick pan I bought at the discount kitchen store. (Nonstick is bad for you, too--it's the fumes). It's OK, but I'm careful with it. I DON'T like the dark ones, nor the old textured steel ones. I didn't like the Airbake pan, either, but on the good side, it is aluminum and you can leave your cookies in a bit longer.

November 23rd, 2010, 4:04 pm #8

I have 6 of the airbake pans and love those. Cookies bake really well on them. I do add several minutes to the cooking time for each recipe. As Bethann said, you aren't supposed to immerse them in water because it takes a long time to drain out. I wash them in my sink and stand them up to dry. I have two smaller ones that go in the dishwasher. I received two as wedding gifts and the rest have been collected from garage sales over the years.

I also really like standard half-sheet pans. Mine are from Sam's Club. They're incredibly sturdy and inexpensive. I prefer the airbake for cookies, but I use these for everything else like roasting vegetables, making pizza, under meatloaf, etc. Today and tomorrow I'll be using them for toasting cornbread cubes for stuffing and baking whole sweet potatoes.
I haven't bought any in years though so I have no idea how much they cost. I wish they made them in stainless; then again, maybe they do and I haven't noticed.

------
Well, I can't believe the stuff that is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. - Alice

November 23rd, 2010, 4:17 pm #9

I have one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Bakers-Secret-Ins ... B00091PN9I

Though I must say it no longer looks like that. It's got a dent and it's splotchy and stained and rusty on the bottom from water having got in the inside, but it still works great. Age? Have no idea. Got it from mom probably 6 years ago.

November 24th, 2010, 12:35 am #10

I like the insulated cookie pans. I have not used my other cookie sheets since I purchased the insulated ones. It is hard to burn cookies on them.
They cost about $15 each.

If you do not have money for three at this time just buy one and set your other cookies on wax paper, chill and then transfer or use parchment paper and just slide the parchment paper onto the cookie sheet and bake.