Colorado Check In regarding Fires

Colorado Check In regarding Fires

June 27th, 2012, 2:03 pm #1

how is everyone doing? Paula?

big fire 90 miles from here by Colorado Springs, all over the news and we can smell the smoke. fireworks cancelled and all else okay here.
karen

June 27th, 2012, 2:31 pm #2

Dry lightening came through around noon, and around 2:30, we saw smoke. It grew into a large plume within about 20 minutes. They had slurry bombers on it instantly and because of the proximately to the airport, they were dropping slurry on it about every 2 minutes. Impressive to say the least. Our offices are evacuated for now, so I'm working from home today.

The Colorado Springs Fire is a potential worst case scenario. They evacuated 32,000 people yesterday...not a typo. Colorado Springs is a big city with many homes along the foothills. We're expecting high temperatures and wind today. The loss of homes with that fire could be staggering. Let's hope for a miracle.

Around our house, there are no fires. It is really dry up here, but not nearly as hot and dry as it is along the front range, which is where the big fires are.

I'll bet Lili smelled smoke at her house yesterday from the Boulder fire.

June 27th, 2012, 3:17 pm #3

That's a lot of people to evacuate! Wishing safety for everyone.

June 27th, 2012, 5:06 pm #4

Dry lightening came through around noon, and around 2:30, we saw smoke. It grew into a large plume within about 20 minutes. They had slurry bombers on it instantly and because of the proximately to the airport, they were dropping slurry on it about every 2 minutes. Impressive to say the least. Our offices are evacuated for now, so I'm working from home today.

The Colorado Springs Fire is a potential worst case scenario. They evacuated 32,000 people yesterday...not a typo. Colorado Springs is a big city with many homes along the foothills. We're expecting high temperatures and wind today. The loss of homes with that fire could be staggering. Let's hope for a miracle.

Around our house, there are no fires. It is really dry up here, but not nearly as hot and dry as it is along the front range, which is where the big fires are.

Sending positive thoughts to everyone in those areas.

June 27th, 2012, 6:07 pm #5

Unbelievable. If the winds get bad, this will be Boulder next.

[/IMG]

Caption: An entire neighborhood burns near the foothills of Colorado Springs. The Waldo Canyon fire continues to burn northwest of Manitou Springs, Colorado. (Helen H. Richardson, The Denver Post)

And by the same photographer:

[/IMG]

Last edited by PaulaF-in-CO on June 27th, 2012, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 27th, 2012, 7:14 pm #6

big fire 90 miles from here by Colorado Springs, all over the news and we can smell the smoke. fireworks cancelled and all else okay here.
karen
And smelled smoke. Looked around and saw the mulch was on fire. I got enough water to put it out. I never found a cigarette butt, which I suspected. I know mulch can spontaneously combust but I thought that it would be more moist. This mulch was dry as a bone. It's been about a month since it has rained and with 100 degree temps everything is dry as a bone.
Last edited by BeverlySue on June 27th, 2012, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 27th, 2012, 9:20 pm #7

Unbelievable. If the winds get bad, this will be Boulder next.

[/IMG]

Caption: An entire neighborhood burns near the foothills of Colorado Springs. The Waldo Canyon fire continues to burn northwest of Manitou Springs, Colorado. (Helen H. Richardson, The Denver Post)

And by the same photographer:

[/IMG]
good pictures, bad situation.

June 28th, 2012, 4:48 am #8

karen
I'm trying to keep up with the fires, and family.

Family in Parker area - southeast of Denver, has been watching the glow on the horizon, they got a bit of rain tonight, which settled the dust, and dropped temps at their ranch, but did nothing for the fires to the west of them. They've been busy helping ranchers move cattle.

Cousin in Colorado Springs, who works for the CDC is working, but his family is in Missouri and will likely stay here until the fire and smoke subside. So far, his supervisor has lost his home, early on in the blaze, but my cousin's home safe for now.

Friends who work in the Denver medical community are all safe, but sharing some scarey photos and stories about the speed of the fire...

We camped in the Sedalia Colorado area for sevearal years, and I know the beetles had destroyed the trees there, leaving them as kindling on the mountain side.

Stay safe girls! This fire seems to be consuming everything in it's path.
glendaMO