Cleaning successes anyone?

Cleaning successes anyone?

January 26th, 2012, 1:10 am #1

I do tend to try a bunch of times to get stains out when I should probably just give up.
But i had success today with DH's dress shirt for work-dabbed bleach/water blend onto mystery yellow
spots on his sleeve-I still know where they are but it should pass muster to where to work.

Also-poured boiling hot water in baked on casserole dish- baked on crud came right off with swipe of sponge.

Have you had any good cleaning fun lately?

January 26th, 2012, 1:22 am #2

I have what is probably a yellowed grease stain on a poly blend table cloth. Did you just sprinkle it with bleach, or was there more?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

January 26th, 2012, 5:50 am #3

I do tend to try a bunch of times to get stains out when I should probably just give up.
But i had success today with DH's dress shirt for work-dabbed bleach/water blend onto mystery yellow
spots on his sleeve-I still know where they are but it should pass muster to where to work.

Also-poured boiling hot water in baked on casserole dish- baked on crud came right off with swipe of sponge.

or is it Bright White? It's in a Rit Dye box. I use it for getting my work whites white,don't use it if there are colors involved, ie patches or trim, because it will change their color - but it works great on my white uniform pieces.

Another cleaning tip - don't have house guest! Seriously, my house was clean, dd and grand came down yesterday, spent 24 hours here. Dd has the stomach bug that we've passed around. I've now got a dozen or so dirty dishes in various places throughout the house! Grrr...
glendaMO

January 26th, 2012, 1:21 pm #4

soak overnight with a used dryer sheet in the water. use the dryer sheet in the am as a scrubbie. (don't know if the soaking dryer sheet is that imprortant - but scrubbie is a great re-use for dryer sheets!)

if it's ceramic or glass i use barkeeper's friend or my ceramic stove cleaner. If it's metal - i throw away the pan and just go back to using my glass or ceramic!!

when i was young-ish i once burned chocolate pudding into the bottom of a pot (as in left it unattended on the stove to burn in for five+ minutes) my mom boiled water with lemon juice in the pot, scraped stuff out, then boiled water with baking soda, scraped stuff out.... it took us about 8 cycle of this, but it got the pot clean. 30 years later - it's still referred to as "christine's pudding pot"

(which is better than the stock pot that's referred to as M's Frog pot - my sister's sophomore year in HS she boiled off her dissected frog to glue the skelaton back together. for fun. I was 8 and the sight of that pot still birngs back formaldahyde memories!)

January 26th, 2012, 1:27 pm #5

My 16 yo has always had problems with body odor, regardless of how often she bathes or which deod she uses. She is very athletic and boy do her uniforms STINK. even after they've been washed multiple times! I found that I can spray the underarm areas, inside and out, and her entire sports bra, with "LA's Totally Awesome Oxygen Orange All Purpose Degreaser and Spot Remover"--$1 at Dollar Tree-- and then wash as usual and all of the smell is gone! It also works wonders on dog vomit, pee, and poop on taupe carpet.

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

January 26th, 2012, 1:35 pm #6

I'll check my Dollar Tree to see if they have that. I've tried various things on some of my summer shirts and they still don't smell clean. I'm willing to risk a buck to see if I can save them.

January 26th, 2012, 4:15 pm #7

or is it Bright White? It's in a Rit Dye box. I use it for getting my work whites white,don't use it if there are colors involved, ie patches or trim, because it will change their color - but it works great on my white uniform pieces.

Another cleaning tip - don't have house guest! Seriously, my house was clean, dd and grand came down yesterday, spent 24 hours here. Dd has the stomach bug that we've passed around. I've now got a dozen or so dirty dishes in various places throughout the house! Grrr...
is wonderful stuff. If you have something that is colourfast it won't take out the colour - only the stains. I got several more years of use out of old sheets that way.

January 27th, 2012, 5:10 am #8

I have what is probably a yellowed grease stain on a poly blend table cloth. Did you just sprinkle it with bleach, or was there more?

------
The road to success is always under construction.
Well it was on sleeve of dress shirt-he didn't remember what it was but there were spots about 5 of them so i'm thinking he sorta splashed something on it.
I have a spray bottle that I use which has a mix of bleach and water in it-I think its 4 parts water to 1 part bleach.
I sprayed it onto a paper towel-folded the corner to make a point and dabbed the spots. After i applied then I rinsed out with cold water before put in the washer.
Good luck with your stain!

January 28th, 2012, 12:24 am #9

I'll check my Dollar Tree to see if they have that. I've tried various things on some of my summer shirts and they still don't smell clean. I'm willing to risk a buck to see if I can save them.
I use vinegar in my smelly laundry - it comes out smelling clean and fresh, but does not smell like vinegar.
glendaMO

January 28th, 2012, 1:10 am #10

My 16 yo has always had problems with body odor, regardless of how often she bathes or which deod she uses. She is very athletic and boy do her uniforms STINK. even after they've been washed multiple times! I found that I can spray the underarm areas, inside and out, and her entire sports bra, with "LA's Totally Awesome Oxygen Orange All Purpose Degreaser and Spot Remover"--$1 at Dollar Tree-- and then wash as usual and all of the smell is gone! It also works wonders on dog vomit, pee, and poop on taupe carpet.

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers
I read about it recently. Put it in a spray bottle; make sure you label it!
LisaCNC