Cheap pet advice....

Cheap pet advice....

November 9th, 2011, 1:35 pm #1

I got my 2 dogs back from my ex last night. they are here on a "visit" to see how it goes before I spend the $$ to build the fence that I mentioned in another post.

This post I want to talk aobut cheap pet care and maintnance.... my Ex has not done anything since he had the dogs, no vetrinary care, I mean. He brought them to me last night in a dirty crate and with 2, too long leashes.... he brought me a small cansiter of food that the boy dog seems to react to- he (Halo) has alwasys been sensative to wheat/corn and I am guessing this is cheap dog food with that in it.... I made a list this morning of what they need. Something I can do something about, others, not so much.... they are requiring retraining as they got into some VERY bad habits at his house. I am working on that, of course and they seem to associate me with the old rules and so far so good.

Here is my "wish list" for right now

*Shorter leashes- the ones he brought me are very long, thin fabric leashes. I walk them together and they tangle each other up bad with these.

*Dog bed (so I have a place to send them to, so they are not trying to get up on the couches/beds)

*nail clippers- their nails are super long. They hate having their nails cliped and I am kind of afraid to clip them, advice?

*Frontline (we already had one tick last night- I love in the woods

*toys- they like rope toys and nylabones

*treats- something to give them with the trying to retrain them thing....

This morning I posted a request on Freecycle for even a single dose of Front line. I took an old fleece blanket and cut it smaller and placed that on the floor as a "bed" so far no takers... I also made a small strip of this, knotted it and hoped they would play with it like a toy. I am going to head out to the Dollar store where I know I can find dog treats, rope toys and possibly shorter leashes....

Any advice? How do you keep your pet care costs down when you have no extra money in the budget for it? I have the money for the fence budgeted and I have a plan to be able to take them to the Vet, but am afraid that is gonna run around $300 for everything. I also need to re-licence them if this goes well and I keep them.

I am considering cooking up some dog food for them from some cheap aldi ground turkey/rice and some veggies, wtih added oil.... any advice here or on low cost dog food for allergy/ sensative dog?

My kids are sooooo happy to have the dogs back. I explained to them this is just a visit to see how it goes, but I am really hoping it turns into me being able to keep them.

Thank you.

November 9th, 2011, 2:39 pm #2

I hear lots of people use those to file pet nails. It's basically the same at taht As Seen on TV thing they sell. I think you just use the little sandpaper tubes to file them down. Or a suggestion: do you know any groomers? Maybe you could trade a people haircut for a dog groming session.

About the Frontline - Walmart and Sam's sell their own version that is supposed to work just as well but for way cheaper.
LisaCNC

November 9th, 2011, 2:40 pm #3

I got my 2 dogs back from my ex last night. they are here on a "visit" to see how it goes before I spend the $$ to build the fence that I mentioned in another post.

This post I want to talk aobut cheap pet care and maintnance.... my Ex has not done anything since he had the dogs, no vetrinary care, I mean. He brought them to me last night in a dirty crate and with 2, too long leashes.... he brought me a small cansiter of food that the boy dog seems to react to- he (Halo) has alwasys been sensative to wheat/corn and I am guessing this is cheap dog food with that in it.... I made a list this morning of what they need. Something I can do something about, others, not so much.... they are requiring retraining as they got into some VERY bad habits at his house. I am working on that, of course and they seem to associate me with the old rules and so far so good.

*Shorter leashes- the ones he brought me are very long, thin fabric leashes. I walk them together and they tangle each other up bad with these.

*Dog bed (so I have a place to send them to, so they are not trying to get up on the couches/beds)

*nail clippers- their nails are super long. They hate having their nails cliped and I am kind of afraid to clip them, advice?

This morning I posted a request on Freecycle for even a single dose of Front line. I took an old fleece blanket and cut it smaller and placed that on the floor as a "bed" so far no takers... I also made a small strip of this, knotted it and hoped they would play with it like a toy. I am going to head out to the Dollar store where I know I can find dog treats, rope toys and possibly shorter leashes....

Any advice? How do you keep your pet care costs down when you have no extra money in the budget for it? I have the money for the fence budgeted and I have a plan to be able to take them to the Vet, but am afraid that is gonna run around $300 for everything. I also need to re-licence them if this goes well and I keep them.

I am considering cooking up some dog food for them from some cheap aldi ground turkey/rice and some veggies, wtih added oil.... any advice here or on low cost dog food for allergy/ sensative dog?

My kids are sooooo happy to have the dogs back. I explained to them this is just a visit to see how it goes, but I am really hoping it turns into me being able to keep them.

Thank you.
the Humane Society has a low cost vaccination clinic every few months. You may want to check with them for some options on vaccinations. They may also be able to give you some advice on inexpensive dog food that does not have corn. As far as nail clipping, there is some sort of device out there that files their nails down instead of clipping them. I'm sure a pet store would have it. I can't remember what it's called. Will the dogs sleep in their crates? If so, you could put some old towels/blankets in there. Good luck! I hope you get to keep them. I was resistant to getting another dog, but I'm glad I gave in. Our little dog has been a great addition to our family, and the kids love her. So do I!

November 9th, 2011, 2:59 pm #4

Thank you.
First of all.. if the leashes are to long cut them down, or if they are two thin double them and hook them down.
Hertz or hartz not sure which it is.. puts out a lovely shampoo that is supposed to keep them tic/flea free for 10 days, I thought is worked well... this was about 5 bucks or so..but would involve bathing them every 10 days...but way cheaper then frontline...Our vet sell the frontline and heartworm meds in single doses..might be a thought.

Dollar store is a good choice if you have small dogs.. if they are big I have found nothing there that stands up to those big strong jaws,
For chews buy or save a couple soup bonees and bake them... dogs love them...no pork or chicken/poultry bones
Training treats- buy a small bag of the beneful salmon... my dogs will do backflips for them and they will last quite a while as training treats.. also look up homemade dog treats..another thing is just plain meat thats left over cut into very small pieces...works well for training.

Old Blankets/towels work well for bedding.
one more thing if you have and odds and ends of fleece make strips and braid it.. my dogs love these.. but are big so they dont last to long.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."
Last edited by TrinaOR on November 9th, 2011, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 9th, 2011, 3:29 pm #5

Thank you.
Why are you taking the dogs to the vet? If it's just for shots, here are some alternatives:

Call the Humane Society, as suggested by someone else, and ask if they have vaccination clinics and how much the shots cost.

All of the Petcos in this area have monthly shot clinics that are about 1/3 cheaper than the vet.

Yes, cut down the leashes. Ask on freecycle for other items. Thrift stores often have dog crates. They usually have other pet items, but for some reason they are nearly as expensive as new.

If you do take the dogs to the vet, ask in advance how much to cut their nails. Ours does it for FREE if you are paying for an office call. Also, our dog groomer will do it for $5--well worth it if the nails are super long. This is something to learn to do yourself, but it will probably be easier after the dogs have been with you longer.

If your dogs also need periodic grooming, learn to do it yourself. After all, you're a stylist! Sometime when you are at Petco, watch their groomers to see what techniques they use.

November 9th, 2011, 3:35 pm #6

I hear lots of people use those to file pet nails. It's basically the same at taht As Seen on TV thing they sell. I think you just use the little sandpaper tubes to file them down. Or a suggestion: do you know any groomers? Maybe you could trade a people haircut for a dog groming session.

About the Frontline - Walmart and Sam's sell their own version that is supposed to work just as well but for way cheaper.
You can see it on their website. $25 for a 3-month supply (3 pipettes); $28 for the plus that also kills the eggs. Use one on each dog w/ a spare left jsut in case. Maybe after that you cna just use some of the sprays. My BIL used the Adams brand spray, said it worked better tahn the Hartz spray.
Last edited by Straitlover on November 9th, 2011, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LisaCNC

November 9th, 2011, 5:32 pm #7

Thank you.
Well I am kind of waiting to see if it works out then I will take them to the Vet... they need complete care- I think he (my X) only brought one of them, one time to the vet in the almost 2 years....

The leashes are his....

I went to the Ocean State Job lot and got a really nice pet bed for $7. I also got treats for $.50. A friend has offered some toys and anoher kind of treats... Frontline I may try the wal-mart kind, that is cheap.... I'm going to the Dollar store for some rope toys- they like those. I have an old fleece blanket I cut up and made bedding for in the crate and made some into tied up knots for them to play with.

Thanks,
Sheila

November 9th, 2011, 6:16 pm #8

When we had a dog in the house, we had a bed for her and one of us would led her over there, sit on it with her and pet her. Then told her "bed" and we backed off. If she got up, we just repeated the process. Over and over. She was a fast learner and it didn't take long. I think it would be harder with two because they take their cues from each other rather than the head person.

Have you considered keeping just one dog? That would also cut down on your expenses.

We don't have a problem with ticks, but fleas are bad here. With the cat I use diatomaceous earth, food grade, and put it in his food and rub it into his fur. After both our dogs got skin cancer, I wondered if Frontline was to blame.

DE is tons cheaper than Frontline and in the food takes care of digestive parasites as well.
------
The road to success is always under construction.
Last edited by TxNet on November 9th, 2011, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 9th, 2011, 6:20 pm #9

and I had had 3 dogs, left the big one with my X- these two I have here now are littermates, they are small, I do not think they would do well seperate. My kids are fine with not having the older, BIG dog but all along I have told them that after we got the house and got settled we would get these 2 back.

November 9th, 2011, 7:01 pm #10

Does your ex take care of the 3rd dog? Sounds like the one with allergies doesn't need to go back to him.

------
The road to success is always under construction.