Cheap & easy Halloween costumes

Cheap & easy Halloween costumes

October 19th, 2011, 10:09 pm #1

Please post your ideas for cheap and easy Halloween costumes.

I was at several thrift stores today and most of them had a ton of Halloween stuff, including new costumes that looked as though they were donated after Halloween last year by the Halloween stores. New costumes were $10-$15. So, thrift stores probably are still a possibility, if you hurry and go with an open mind. Thrift stores also have a lot of military-issue camo, if that interests anyone.

DD borrowed a costume--she's going to be a deviled egg this year. This was a store-bought egg costume with red horns and a sewn-on red pointy tail. It would be easy and cheap to duplicate either in fabric or paper and cardboard sandwich boards. Make an oval white egg and place a yellow yoke in the appropriate place on the front. Add horns and tail. It really is cute!

The friend who loaned it also had a stoplight costume. Again, easy to re-create in fabric or paper and cardboard. The storebought one had a light, but that wouldn't be strictly necessary.

October 20th, 2011, 1:43 am #2

DD is going to be a vampire. We purchased a dollar store cape, make up and teeth. We have a long black wig from last year, total cost $4. DS is going to be "facebook". We found the idea on the family fun websitehttp://familyfun.go.com/crafts/face-book-1024870/. Total cost for his costume, less than $10. I am making it this weekend. We usually grow our own pumpkins for jack o lanterns.

Here is another frugal idea related to costumes. Check the clearanced costumes after halloween. They make an inexpensive birthday/ christmas gift for a little one who likes to play dress up.

October 20th, 2011, 1:22 pm #3

Please post your ideas for cheap and easy Halloween costumes.

I was at several thrift stores today and most of them had a ton of Halloween stuff, including new costumes that looked as though they were donated after Halloween last year by the Halloween stores. New costumes were $10-$15. So, thrift stores probably are still a possibility, if you hurry and go with an open mind. Thrift stores also have a lot of military-issue camo, if that interests anyone.

DD borrowed a costume--she's going to be a deviled egg this year. This was a store-bought egg costume with red horns and a sewn-on red pointy tail. It would be easy and cheap to duplicate either in fabric or paper and cardboard sandwich boards. Make an oval white egg and place a yellow yoke in the appropriate place on the front. Add horns and tail. It really is cute!

The friend who loaned it also had a stoplight costume. Again, easy to re-create in fabric or paper and cardboard. The storebought one had a light, but that wouldn't be strictly necessary.
The deviled egg and stoplight costumes are great. The egg would be easy to make out of felt. I've made two felt costumes now and they weren't hard or expensive, just took some time.

I bet ds would like the stoplight one. The dollar store probably sells some little flashing lights that could be put behind colored cellophane on a cardboard costume.

I noticed Goodwill here has new Halloween costumes as well. They didn't seem like an especially good deal for the quality though.

October 20th, 2011, 2:06 pm #4

DD is going to be a vampire. We purchased a dollar store cape, make up and teeth. We have a long black wig from last year, total cost $4. DS is going to be "facebook". We found the idea on the family fun websitehttp://familyfun.go.com/crafts/face-book-1024870/. Total cost for his costume, less than $10. I am making it this weekend. We usually grow our own pumpkins for jack o lanterns.

Here is another frugal idea related to costumes. Check the clearanced costumes after halloween. They make an inexpensive birthday/ christmas gift for a little one who likes to play dress up.
(He's onThe Office) He just tokk a marker and wrote "BOOK" on his face - LOL!!! That's definitely cheap.
LisaCNC

October 20th, 2011, 2:23 pm #5

The deviled egg and stoplight costumes are great. The egg would be easy to make out of felt. I've made two felt costumes now and they weren't hard or expensive, just took some time.

I bet ds would like the stoplight one. The dollar store probably sells some little flashing lights that could be put behind colored cellophane on a cardboard costume.

I noticed Goodwill here has new Halloween costumes as well. They didn't seem like an especially good deal for the quality though.
But I am going to make a felt egg yolk for Molly to wear on her back and have her wear her devil horns. (Those of us that do not have grandchildren must grab their fun where they can).

October 20th, 2011, 5:19 pm #6

A few years ago in Family Fun magazine there was an egg costume pictured and they used a yellow plastic plate for the egg yolk. Even less sewing! Although you'd probably just get funny looks if you tied a yellow plastic plate to Molly's back. It would work for a kid's costume though.

October 20th, 2011, 6:13 pm #7

This is the Family Fun egg. It's even easier than I remember because they use lightweight foam instead of felt, so there's no sewing. What I was remembering as a plastic plate is actually a bowl painted yellow. The plate would be easier.

http://tinyurl.com/3r9qrlu

While looking for the Family Fun egg, I saw this bacon costume. That would be a great combo for two people to wear! The bacon looks even easier to make than the egg.

http://tinyurl.com/3c3q9tt