Cheap December... Day 22

Cheap December... Day 22

December 22nd, 2011, 3:55 pm #1

My shoelace broke this morning... so we'll see how I handle that...

December 22nd, 2011, 4:09 pm #2

DH was going into town so I asked him to pick up some jiffy bags for me - so spent £2.00 - a necessary expense for all the books I am going to sell after Christmas - haha

Have hung out washing which didn't dry very well in spite of a decent day, and caught up on a bit of ironing

Made leek & potato soup

Not much else

December 22nd, 2011, 4:20 pm #3

must brave the grocery stores and the beer store as well to do the christmas stock up. We are having a big get-together on Boxing Day with extended family and friends. It's our once every two year event. Looking forward to it so I don't mind the expense.

Groceries must be bought for the family that starts to arrive home tonight as well. Again, I'm looking forward to it.

For the first time ever the gifts are all wrapped before Christmas Eve. That's a side benefit from cutting down on the gift giving. We are concentrating on visiting with each other and eating and drinking at home this year.

December 22nd, 2011, 4:42 pm #4

I was going to purchase gift cards for 5 nephews. As I was sewing up a scarf for DD I was thinking about all the fleece blankets I have. I have enough masculine fleece from blankets to sew jammie pants and hats for the nephews, saving me $75. I better get sewing.......

December 22nd, 2011, 5:18 pm #5

"better get sewing". on 12-22. I bow down to you!

And thanks for the idea! i'd need a pattern (or could try to make one from an old pair of PJ's), but I have a bunch of "baby" blankets from MIL (the tied together fleece kind - she can't sew a stitch to save her life) and was JUST wondering what on earth I can do with them now that they're too small to sleep with!! (still big enough for the 5 yo, but he doesn't need 6 of them does he?!)

December 22nd, 2011, 5:18 pm #6

DH was going into town so I asked him to pick up some jiffy bags for me - so spent £2.00 - a necessary expense for all the books I am going to sell after Christmas - haha

Have hung out washing which didn't dry very well in spite of a decent day, and caught up on a bit of ironing

Made leek & potato soup

Not much else
What are jiffy bags??? nt
LisaCNC

December 22nd, 2011, 5:30 pm #7

"better get sewing". on 12-22. I bow down to you!

And thanks for the idea! i'd need a pattern (or could try to make one from an old pair of PJ's), but I have a bunch of "baby" blankets from MIL (the tied together fleece kind - she can't sew a stitch to save her life) and was JUST wondering what on earth I can do with them now that they're too small to sleep with!! (still big enough for the 5 yo, but he doesn't need 6 of them does he?!)
Believe me I would rather buy the gift cards at this point, I am tired. But $75 is a big savings and I don't need these until Monday when I get together with SIS. I don't use a pattern, just use an existing pair of jammie pants as a guide. I have been making these for years now so I can whip them off pretty quick. Everyone remind me in JUNE to start working on gifts next year.

December 22nd, 2011, 6:02 pm #8

You do all this and don't even use a pattern! You are indeed Superwoman! If you won't let Christine BE you...can I?

I got my Christmas present yesterday--a clean house! I told DH that's what I wanted, so I called her...and it's clean. She loved the idea of being someone's gift! Not too frugal, but you know he was going to buy me something, and this was sooooooooo much better than "stuff"!

I ran out of eggs, hit the grocery store and spent $33. Still, that's only $53 for the week for food, and most of what I bought was on sale (or I wouldn't have bought it). Still cooking and eating meals at home. I REALLY didn't want to cook last night, and DH suggested take-out. I resisted and fried up hamburger patties, heated up a can of green beans and opened a jar of peaches. It wasn't great, but it was cheap, quick and easy. Works for me!

I wrote about wrapping DS's girlfriend's b-day gift for $0. (Of course, I wrap 99.999% of my gifts without spending any money...using what I've bought in the past on super sales).

The big splurge is tonight, which I will confess tomorrow. Just a note to warn you that this is the one tradition no one was willing to cut, ESPECIALLY ME. I still have one $5 gift to buy, otherwise I don't think I will be spending money today.

This is not a no-spend Christmas--just a LIVE CHEAP DECEMBER. Considering it is December and all that entails, I feel I am doing OK, although not spectacularly.

December 22nd, 2011, 6:17 pm #9

I walked half a mile in the snow to go visit Scheels. Almost bought 100 rounds of ammo for $34.95, except I didn't want to carry it back with me. I've been seeing it at around $20/50 rounds, so not a bad price. Maybe next time.
Last edited by Stacey_K on December 22nd, 2011, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 22nd, 2011, 6:41 pm #10

What are jiffy bags??? nt
with either bubble wrap or fibre stuff inside

edit

Jiffy is actually a brand name that has become generally used for padded envelopes
Last edited by Pollyuk on December 22nd, 2011, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.