Cheap December... Day 20

Cheap December... Day 20

December 20th, 2011, 3:31 pm #1

I haven't spent anything in a few days and probably won't go out today. It is very icy so I doubt I can even make it downtown to the health food store.

December 20th, 2011, 3:42 pm #2

Well, yesterday was spendy, due to that extra trip to Harrison. I took the shortcut on the way home.

All meals prepared and eaten at home. Spent about $20 on groceries, which are all I will need this week except for the rib roast and a few items for Christmas dinner. The $20 included a fresh Dungeness crab for DH's dinner, which was on unadvertused sale for $3.98 lb. and cost around $5. DD and I had homemade turkey soup made entirely with food on hand. The only other thing we ate was half of a $2 baguette.

DH expressed a desire to decorate for Christmas, since we will be having guests. Uh....not a good year for that. However, Lowe's is clearancing fresh wreaths for $2, so I bought one. Decorating (probably) done. I'm looking around home for a bow or something else to add a little color to the greenery.

I took DD Christmas shopping yesterday (her money)--she bought for her dad and boyfriend. Deal of the decade: 40% off a Boston Red Sox jersey, possibly even in his size, LOL. The jersey put her at the very top end of her budget, but that's OK--jerseys are always FULL PRICE when John has his birthday in June.

December 20th, 2011, 4:20 pm #3

I haven't spent anything in a few days and probably won't go out today. It is very icy so I doubt I can even make it downtown to the health food store.
I got a call that I won the monthly health and safety draw at work. It is a bunch of chocolates that I can't eat, but I can give them to the kids for Christmas. I don't know about the rest of what I need to get. :-|

December 20th, 2011, 4:38 pm #4

For the £70 replacement filling I have known I needed.

No other spending ( thank goodness)

My other unexpected expense(washing machine) was delivered today. The deal was the delivery men take the old machine away for disposal - they were shocked that it was such a new one (3 yrs old) - they are still delivering the same model.

Have made 2 dozen mince pies ( shop mincemeat bought at 10p a jar 2 years ago - laced with rum) and a batch of cranberry,hazelnut and cinnamon cookies.
Chicken stock is ready to strain having simmered all day in crock pot.

When I made the mince pies there was a fair bit of pastry left over, so I made a pastry case and 6 small tart cases.

The pastry case will be dinner tonight ( I will invent something) - not sure about the small cases. May freeze them and think later. By this point in the day I'm not up to much thinking

Baby food jello tonight too
Last edited by Pollyuk on December 20th, 2011, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 20th, 2011, 7:17 pm #5

I had to volunteer in DDs class room this morning... so I figured by the time I got her home I would be too wiped out to make anything for her Daisy's meeting today (had an infusion yesterday) but when I got home and debated going in to Aldi to buy something OR looking in the pantry- I really did not want to get in the car till we have to go to the meeting.. I found a box of brownie mix (makes 13 x 9 pan) and I made those up.... I have frosting and Aldi/Christmas sprinkles... so I am decorating it with that.... So I guess I saved myself $3 and a trip to Aldis- not much, but it's soemthing : )

DS and his dad are going someplace for dinner, so one less kid to feed tonight and Dd and I will eat leftover/warmed up baked ziti that I made last night.

Yesterday I called Apple to complain about Ds christmas present not being delivered yet and they credited me $24!
Last edited by SheilaPCT on December 20th, 2011, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 20th, 2011, 9:19 pm #6

I can't believe your kids are still in school. Or maybe I should say I can't believe schools around here released last Friday. Seems like we got out of school just a few days before Christmas when I was a kid. I can't remember.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

December 20th, 2011, 11:35 pm #7

Or somewhere around there... my parents still had to work, who wants to have to entertain kids all strung out on the idea of santa, for more then a day or two?? lol : )

December 21st, 2011, 12:33 am #8

I can't believe your kids are still in school. Or maybe I should say I can't believe schools around here released last Friday. Seems like we got out of school just a few days before Christmas when I was a kid. I can't remember.

------
Ds has a half day on Thursday and is out until January 3rd.

December 21st, 2011, 12:33 am #9

------
Last edited by SandyinMI on December 21st, 2011, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 21st, 2011, 2:04 am #10

------
For instance, if it fell on a Friday, we'd usually go until Wednesday--the 23rd. But if it fell on a Tuesday, for example, the last day would be Friday--the 21st. We would normally go back Jan. 2, but again, it depended on the day of the week. Our vacation would be 10-14 days and the length of it affected the day we started school and the day we ended--again taking into account the day of the week. I suspect most school districts do something like this.

In the early 1950s, when I was in the primary grades, we got a 3-day spring vacation in mid-March, but somewhere along the way, it got extended to a week. We used to go to school over 200 days a year.