Cat owners - does your cat wear a collar?

Cat owners - does your cat wear a collar?

April 23rd, 2012, 2:30 am #1

Because our cat is out during the day, he wears a collar with a bell, actually with two bells now since he learned how to walk without jingling. He wore the first single bell collar for about 6 months before losing it (breakaway), and I bought another collar a couple of weeks ago along with a bigger additional bell. I noticed it was on him and then he was gone and when he came back it was gone. It is a breakaway too, and doesn't take as much to get it off as the last collar. But I found it laying on the neighbor's driveway, not caught on anything.

If your cat wears a collar, what kind and how long does it last?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

April 23rd, 2012, 3:25 am #2

they'd just take it off or hang it on something, if not a breakaway they might hang themselves. chip the cat would be the best bet.

Myra in West Texas

April 23rd, 2012, 4:31 am #3

but as a place to hang a bell so he can go out without killing the birds. I have bird feeders and houses and really don't want to get rid of them. I'd like the cat to be able to roam around here, and for the birds to be safe too.

The breakaway collars pop apart with just the least bit of resistance, so they are safe for tree climbing, or in brush. I expected him to lose this one, just not so fast nor so easily. There wasn't anything around it to hang on.

------
Last edited by TxNet on April 23rd, 2012, 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 23rd, 2012, 1:03 pm #4

so the bell does not ring. LOL.

kinda pointless in other words.

have had lots of cats that roam free (like forty plus barn cats once upon a time) and never had one that got birds except one cat and then only if they got on the porch or something. had to be a trapped bird or slow bird.

not sure I'd worry about the birds. I know it's the big thing - cats kill song birds! oh my! but mine were mousers not birders so maybe it is a learning thing when young.

if you are feeding birds, and have a cat, try to control when he goes out maybe - they tend to feed more at certain times yes? otherwise yep, you're just like a deer hunter putting out corn

build a large cat pen! then the cat is safe and the birds are too. mine like their cage, when the door is open they are often in it.

Myra in West Texas

April 23rd, 2012, 2:10 pm #5

Because our cat is out during the day, he wears a collar with a bell, actually with two bells now since he learned how to walk without jingling. He wore the first single bell collar for about 6 months before losing it (breakaway), and I bought another collar a couple of weeks ago along with a bigger additional bell. I noticed it was on him and then he was gone and when he came back it was gone. It is a breakaway too, and doesn't take as much to get it off as the last collar. But I found it laying on the neighbor's driveway, not caught on anything.

------
We have an outdoor cat that we inherited from neighbors who moved out of state. She wears a collar with ID and a bell. It's a cheap collar from Walmart and has that elastic break-away aspect. Is this the kind that you buy, or is yours different? Anyway, Sassy's collar may last about 6 months before the elastic disintegrates and/or stretches, so I check the collar periodically and try to replace it before it reaches that breaking point. I've found her broken collar under bushes in our yard and even just out in the open in our yard, so I've usually been able to save her tags and have only had to reorder an ID once.

April 23rd, 2012, 6:31 pm #6

so the bell does not ring. LOL.

kinda pointless in other words.

have had lots of cats that roam free (like forty plus barn cats once upon a time) and never had one that got birds except one cat and then only if they got on the porch or something. had to be a trapped bird or slow bird.

not sure I'd worry about the birds. I know it's the big thing - cats kill song birds! oh my! but mine were mousers not birders so maybe it is a learning thing when young.

if you are feeding birds, and have a cat, try to control when he goes out maybe - they tend to feed more at certain times yes? otherwise yep, you're just like a deer hunter putting out corn

build a large cat pen! then the cat is safe and the birds are too. mine like their cage, when the door is open they are often in it.

Myra in West Texas
Just need to find the time.

The extra bell I bought is bigger than the ones that come on the collar and it hangs a little lower but touching the original bell. It is louder than the original and he can't keep it still.

------

April 23rd, 2012, 6:32 pm #7

We have an outdoor cat that we inherited from neighbors who moved out of state. She wears a collar with ID and a bell. It's a cheap collar from Walmart and has that elastic break-away aspect. Is this the kind that you buy, or is yours different? Anyway, Sassy's collar may last about 6 months before the elastic disintegrates and/or stretches, so I check the collar periodically and try to replace it before it reaches that breaking point. I've found her broken collar under bushes in our yard and even just out in the open in our yard, so I've usually been able to save her tags and have only had to reorder an ID once.
The one that lasted 6 months only came apart with a hard tug. This one doesn't take much of a tug to pull apart.

------

April 23rd, 2012, 10:48 pm #8

------
One cat had a collar and wore it with no problem, she died... (not related to the collar)
The other I gave up on, she would go spastic as soon as I put it on her and fight, claw, bite, whatever until she managed to pop it off, then sit there glaring at me. She's micro-chipped.

April 24th, 2012, 3:15 am #9

I eased him into it by removing the bed from the first collar, and while he didn't like me putting it on (took 3 attempts as he was still prone to slashing out back then), but once on, it didn't bother him a bit. Then I added a collar with a bell, and again he didn't like it going on, but once on, he was ok. Adding the 2nd bell didn't faze him a bit either. He is really turning into the perfect cat.

------