BREADS and ROLLS

BREADS and ROLLS

May 27th, 2006, 2:44 am #1

Post your recipes for BREADS and ROLLS here.

May 27th, 2006, 2:53 am #2

Posted by Trina 5/26/06

Potato Bread
3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cups instand mashed potatoes
2 Tbls. sugar
1 Tbls. salt
2 Tbls. Lecithin
2 Tbls. gluten flour
1 Tbls. yeast
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup olive oil
2 1/2 cups hot water

I mix this in a Kitchenaid mixer with the dough hooks... I add 4 cups of the flour and the rest of the dry ingredients and mix up.. then I add the hot water and mix, add flour as you need until you get a slightly sticky elastic dough. Let raise until double punch down and form into loaves, let raise again about 30 minutes usually bake at 350 about 35 minutes.. until bread is golden and sounds hollow when you thump it... makes 2 loaves... Let me know what you think...

May 27th, 2006, 2:55 am #3

Posted by Trina 5/26/06

Mamma D's Italian Bread
This Turned out very good... its from the allrecipes.com site....
INGREDIENTS:
3 cups warm water (110
degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 teaspoon white sugar 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon salt
7 cups all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS:
1. Add the sugar and yeast to the warm water and let proof.
2. Stir in 4 cups of flour and beat until smooth. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
3. Beat in the salt and then add enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Knead until as soft and smooth as a bambino's behind. Turn in a greased bowl, cover, and let double in size. (I put it in the oven with the light on - perfect rising temperature.)
4. Once doubled, punch down and divide into three. Place back in the bowl, cover, and let rise.
5. Once doubled again, punch down and form into three fat "footballs." Grease heavy cookie sheets and sprinkle with corn meal. Place the bread on the sheets, cover with a towel, and let rise.
6. Once risen, mist with water and place in a preheated 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) oven. Mist loaves with water and turn occasionally while they bake. Bread is done when golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

May 27th, 2006, 2:57 am #4

Posted by Trina on 5/26/06

Potato Rolls
1 c mashed potatoes
1-1/4 c reserved potato cooking water
3 T honey
1/2 c butter
1 tsp salt
1 T active dry yeast
1 tsp honey
5-3/4 c flour
2 eggs
1/4 c melted butter

Pour 1 c of the potato water over the 3 T honey, 1/2 c butter, and salt in a mixing bowl. Heat just until the butter melts. Cool to lukewarm. Heat remaining potato water to lukewarm, add yeast and 1 tsp honey; stir to dissolve. To the butter mixture add softened yeast, mashed potatoes, and 2-1/2 c of the flour. Beat until smooth. Add the eggs, and beat well. Gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour (3-1/4 c) to make a soft dough. Knead if necessary to make elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down and divide in half. Let rest 10 minutes. Divide each half into 24 equal portions, and form into rolls. Place rolls, with sides touching, on greased baking sheets. Brush with melted butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake in a 400 oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets and cool on racks. Makes 48.

This dough can be made into 2 regular loaves, or 6 mini loaves.

May 27th, 2006, 5:59 am #5

It's all in the technique! These pop better when baked in a popover pan. If you don't have one, use a muffin pan with 1/2 cup cups and pour the batter into every other cup if the pan has less than one inch between cups.

Classic Popovers
3 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
About 1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush 6 popover or muffin cups with melted butter, or use nonstick spray. Use an electric mixer to beat all ingredients together until smooth. Do NOT overbeat. Pour batter evenly into cups, filling them at least 3/4 full. Place on a cookie sheet and bake until brown and puffy, about 40 to 45 minutes. Pierce each popover in several places with a thin wooden skewer, then continue baking until very well browned and crisp, about 5 minutes longer. Remove from oven and run a thin-bladed knife between the edge of each popover and the cup to loosen. Lift popovers from cups and serve hot. If made ahead, place slightly apart on a cookie sheet and bake in a 375 degree oven until crisp and hot, about 5 minutes.

172 calories per popover, and that does not include the butter and jam!

Last edited by MaxineS on May 27th, 2006, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 27th, 2006, 6:07 am #6

This is Donna McKenna's recipe from The $30 Week Grocery Budget.

PANCAKES and WAFFLES
2 cups all-purpose flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1-3/4 cups milk
1/3 cup oil or melted margarine

Combine dry ingredients. Add liquid ingredients and stir just until blended.

For pancakes: heat griddle over medium heat until a drop of water will "dance" when dropped on it. (If using an electric frying pan, set heat at 350 degrees). Lightly grease with oil. Spoon batter onto griddle and cook until the bubbles on top burst but don't fill back in. Flip pancake to cook other side. Adjust heat if pancake is too dark at this point. Continue cooking until second side is browned. Serve immediately.

For waffles: heat waffle iron and spray grids with nonstick spray. Spoon batter over grids, close lid, and cook until done. Makes 4 waffles.

1/2 recipe--1 cup flour, 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar, one egg, 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk, scant 3 tablespoons oil or melted margarine.

May 28th, 2006, 2:19 am #7

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup finely chopped or grated carrots
1 1/2 cups finely chopped or grated apples
3/4 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup walnuts chopped
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup vegtable oil
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 Lightly oil muffin tins or cups

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and wet ingredients in another bowl... stir together until smooth, cook 20 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.

one could add some raisins or dates

November 17th, 2006, 1:25 am #8

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1/4 pound) butter
1-1/4 cups buttermilk (I didn't have any so made the substitute of 1 Tablespoon lemon juice & fill with whole milk to make 1 cup - only I had to double it)

Make the bicsuit dough: Preheat the oven to 425º. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, your fingers, or 2 knives, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Use a dork to stir in buttermilk until the mixture forms a rough ball. (I got it too wet & had to add more flour, so add your milk gradually until it forms the ball)

Cut out and bake the biscuits: On a lightly floured surface, bently knead the dough 6 or 7 times. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to a 1/2 inch thick circle. Use a 2-inch round biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits. Gather scraps together and repeat until all of the dough is used. Place biscuits 1 inch apart (I put them on the cookie sheet touching) on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned 12 to 14 minutes. Serve warm.

Nutrition information per biscuit: protein: 3.7 g; fat: 9.7 g; carbohydrate: 21g; fiber: .8 g; sodium: 456 mg; cholesterol: 26 mg; calories: 186.
Last edited by TxNet on November 17th, 2006, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 23rd, 2006, 2:20 am #9

Egg Nog Bread

2 Eggs
1c. Sugar
1 c. Egg Nog
1 stick butter or margarine
1 t. vanilla
2 T. Rum (can use rum extract--I use about 1/2 t.)
2 1/4 c. Flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg

Beat eggs. Add sugar, eggnog, margarine, vanilla and rum. BLend well. Sift (I dont usually do this) flour, b.powder, salt and nutmeg. Add to egg mixture and stir well. Bake in greased 9x5 pan. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. I often do the smaller pans to give as gifts. Reduce time to about 25 minutes or so. You can test with toothpick.

February 6th, 2007, 6:23 pm #10

5-6 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoon yeast
1-2 teaspoon salt
2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons honey

Mix up the dough, let rise till double, punch down, divide into 4 balls. Let rest 10 min. Roll each ball into 12" circle, let rise a bit. Shape heavy duty foil into 11" circle and place on top of each crust, Bake crusts 400º 12 min. Remove foil after 7 min. Brush crust with butter. Let cool, wrap and freeze.

To use: Top frozen crust with sauce and toppings. Bake 425 10-12 min.

To use this fresh, not frozen: shape into circle, let rise a bit, top, bake 425 til done. (15 min. or so?)

***Notes from Tnetter after making these. I put two crusts on pizza stones & two on insulated cookie sheets. I should have greased everything before putting the dough on them, because they stuck, even on the stones.

This crust tastes just like pizza store crust.