Bra repair ideas?

Bra repair ideas?

March 26th, 2012, 6:03 pm #1

I have 2 bras that actually almost fit and that I like, LOL. They're still in great shape except the underwire has poked through on both cups at the breastbone/sternum ends (on the inside; fabric is frayed in that area). Removing the underwire is not an option. Any suggestions on how to keep the wire in so it doesn't keep poking me in the chest? It hurts!!!

One thing I thought of is this, but I don't want to do it unless someone thinks it will work. I have an old slip where the elastic is shot. I though about cutting out a couple of tiny pieces and using that clear fabric glue to cover the spot. I think I have some of that fray check stuff, so that should keep the patch from fraying on the edges.
LisaCNC

March 26th, 2012, 7:05 pm #2

I have had this happen.

Can you patch it with a piece of fleece and hand sew it in place?

March 26th, 2012, 8:29 pm #3

I don't have any scrap fleece tho. I'll ahve to chekc w/ the JoAnn's near my office. Maybe they have some in their remnants section. Do you think the fabric glue would work??? That would be way easier than had sewing it since there's not much of a seam on either side of the wire.

Lest anyone think I'm nuts trying to do this, these are Playtex Secrets Side Smoothing bras that sell for $25.99 each at onehanesplace.com (although I got them on sale!!!), not cheapo Walmart ones. Right now I'm wearing the wirefree version of the same one 9they were out of the wired in black for my size when I bought it), and I will be sticking w/ the wired version from now on. The wirefree has a weird fit and is not as comfortable. Sure wish they made it it a racer back style, then I'd be set for life!
LisaCNC

March 26th, 2012, 8:53 pm #4

I have 2 bras that actually almost fit and that I like, LOL. They're still in great shape except the underwire has poked through on both cups at the breastbone/sternum ends (on the inside; fabric is frayed in that area). Removing the underwire is not an option. Any suggestions on how to keep the wire in so it doesn't keep poking me in the chest? It hurts!!!

One thing I thought of is this, but I don't want to do it unless someone thinks it will work. I have an old slip where the elastic is shot. I though about cutting out a couple of tiny pieces and using that clear fabric glue to cover the spot. I think I have some of that fray check stuff, so that should keep the patch from fraying on the edges.
just stitching the area closed. I haven't tried glue repair. I have used bandaids in a pinch (to get me through the day).

Like you, when you pay $40 for a bra, I want it to last for decades, not months...lol! I have found that soaking it to wash, and hanging to dry provides less wear and tear than the lingerie garmet bag in the washer. They still don't last forever, but longer than the washing machine counter parts.
glendaMO

March 27th, 2012, 5:57 am #5

I would think that the slip material would not last long with the underwire poking it.
I have had to repair my share of bras! lol One thing I have found is that once you have
to repair a bra they don't last long after that. The wires always poke through the repairs.

I have had a couple of bras that the underwire was REALLY sharp! I wondered why they don't
sand the wires then put the plastic top on them.

March 27th, 2012, 12:36 pm #6

Kind alike that plasticote you cna dip tool handles in, but it's just a thin coat. I still end up w/ a sore red spot when it works its way out of the hole and pokes me.
LisaCNC

March 27th, 2012, 12:53 pm #7

Using The plastic/ rubber stuff you dip pliers handles into? I've thought about it, and cirrently have a stash of three bra waiting for me to get around to it. I don't see why fabric glue wouldn't wrkn but would sew a patch first for stability and vglue a soft piecde over cfor comfort.