Booking hotel for wedding - near airport or not?

Booking hotel for wedding - near airport or not?

November 4th, 2011, 7:08 pm #1

The last time we stayed at a hotel near an airport, it was really loud, even inside. Dd#2 thinks the hotel near the airport is the best location because it is near her work, her home, and the wedding location. I think downtown St. Louis might be better as far as noise, and proximity to the wedding.

Her house is about 30 minutes from the wedding location and I have no idea how much running back & forth there will be, especially since we are doing all the food. Hotel prices are about the same right now, but as soon as the 2012 baseball schedule is announced, the ones near the park will go up. We need to book now.

Anyone with experience have an opinion?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

November 4th, 2011, 7:37 pm #2

We've found that newer and slightly more expensive hotels have better soundproofing. Not super expensive, more like Residence Inn vs. Motel 6. Also, you could look up the particular hotels you're considering at that location and see if there is any mention of noise in the reviews. I can ask dh later which website he uses for this, since he's the one that chooses the hotels and reads the reviews.

November 4th, 2011, 9:16 pm #3

I told her my concern about the noise and she is more concerned about location.

------

November 4th, 2011, 9:26 pm #4

The last time we stayed at a hotel near an airport, it was really loud, even inside. Dd#2 thinks the hotel near the airport is the best location because it is near her work, her home, and the wedding location. I think downtown St. Louis might be better as far as noise, and proximity to the wedding.

Her house is about 30 minutes from the wedding location and I have no idea how much running back & forth there will be, especially since we are doing all the food. Hotel prices are about the same right now, but as soon as the 2012 baseball schedule is announced, the ones near the park will go up. We need to book now.

------
Let me make sure I understand. You are reserving a block of rooms for your DD's wedding for out of town guests, right?

Okay, well as a wedding guest, I would NOT be happy to spend a lot of money to go to a wedding and end up near the airport. If I was invited, personally, I would stay somewhere else. Weddings are vacations for many people and they want to enjoy it. It's also when everybody else gets together to catch up and hang out. Put people near good restaurants and fun places to go.

There should be no running back and forth between the wedding venue and home. Pack your stuff, get family members to help, and go once.

That's my very opinionated opinion. LOL!

Paula

November 4th, 2011, 11:06 pm #5

But I was scared to say so.

There really should be no running back and forth. If I were a guest, I'd want to stay someplace charming, where there were places to go and people to see.

November 5th, 2011, 12:41 am #6

------
I stay at a lot of hotels, and I generally hate those that have 'airport' in their name. There always is the exception, though. I would take a good tour, visit some rooms, etc to help with the decision.

November 5th, 2011, 3:22 am #7

------
I have no idea where the wedding is, other than it sounds like you are going to be in the St Louis area.

The airport is noisy, I've stayed in a few of the airport hotels, since Lambert is basically 'in town', lots of hotels claim to be 'near the airport'.

When I work in St Louis, I stay in Chesterfield, at the Drury Inn, it is VERY nice, but reasonably priced, I often see wedding parties there. There is a GOOD steakhouse in the building, it is next to the Chesterfield Mall, with a food court, movie theater, and lots of fun places to shop - and it easily assessible to the main roads.
glendaMO

November 5th, 2011, 4:49 am #8

It's in Creve Coeur/Maryland Heights, so close to the airport but not under it. I found St. Louis easy to get around in, once you get used to so many highways having a 70 in them.

------

November 5th, 2011, 6:01 pm #9

Let me make sure I understand. You are reserving a block of rooms for your DD's wedding for out of town guests, right?

Okay, well as a wedding guest, I would NOT be happy to spend a lot of money to go to a wedding and end up near the airport. If I was invited, personally, I would stay somewhere else. Weddings are vacations for many people and they want to enjoy it. It's also when everybody else gets together to catch up and hang out. Put people near good restaurants and fun places to go.

There should be no running back and forth between the wedding venue and home. Pack your stuff, get family members to help, and go once.

That's my very opinionated opinion. LOL!

Paula
My dh's worst business trips are describe as not even getting out of the airport hotel. This should be more of a vacation. St. Louis has more to offer than this. Make it easy on guest to see the attractions along with the wedding.

November 5th, 2011, 10:36 pm #10

------
My favorite hotel situation for out-of-town weddings is when the couple holds the reception IN the hotel. This allows me to enjoy the festivities, music and alchohol without worrying about having to drive anywhere afterwards. In this situation, I don't care about the hotel ambiance. My cousin had her reception in a "hotel" that was barely one step up from a truck stop and the decor of my room was straight out of the 70's with shag carpet on the walls! I didn't care -- it was clean and more importantly it was convenient FOR ME, the guest. The only way an airport hotel would hold any appeal would be if the reception was going to be IN that airport hotel, or within very short walking distance of it.

At risk of being blunt, your daughter should be blocking hotel rooms with your guests' needs in mind, not her own. That said, Staybridge Suites is a nice value for guests, reasonably priced with spacious rooms. Drury is also a nice chain -- Glenda, I've actually stayed at the one in Chesterfield, how weird is that?