Black Friday rant

Black Friday rant

November 24th, 2011, 12:38 pm #1

I know this is like preaching to the choir here, but is anyone else completely ticked at WalMart for starting their sale at 10PM? The toys go on sale at 10, and the electronics go on sale at midnight. My husband and I have occasionally gone out at like, 6, when the rush is over, to see if there is anything good left. I will not go wait in line and get myself killed over an ipod or a tv, let alone a kid's toy. But we have sometimes found a really great deal. My living room HD TV was one that was returned last year at about 10:30, while the sale was still on. I guess the people found a better deal elsewhere. We paid $249 for it, which was almost half price. That was just a deal we stumbled across. (And we really were in the market for a TV.)

But midnight? Really? I have heard of people that are having their family dinner early so that they can go home and go to bed. They are planning to sleep and then go shopping, like it was third shift or something.

It just makes me mad that they won't just offer things at great prices for everyone instead of for the people willing to kill themselves and each other over a good deal. I'm planning to do a lot of my shopping on Cyber Monday.

Grrrrrrr.

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

November 24th, 2011, 1:26 pm #2

have seen several ads here for sales starting at midnight. it is nuts! I can't think of anything I need that much.

Well when I was 11 I'd have done it for a pony. ROTFL

Myra in West Texas

November 24th, 2011, 2:09 pm #3

My dd and her fiance are planning on being at Walmart for the 10 o'clock thing. I don't get it either. I also don't see how they can start a sale at 10 when the store is already open. Seems like people would just get what they want at 8:00 and wander around the store for a couple of hours waiting for the sale to start.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

November 24th, 2011, 2:12 pm #4

I know this is like preaching to the choir here, but is anyone else completely ticked at WalMart for starting their sale at 10PM? The toys go on sale at 10, and the electronics go on sale at midnight. My husband and I have occasionally gone out at like, 6, when the rush is over, to see if there is anything good left. I will not go wait in line and get myself killed over an ipod or a tv, let alone a kid's toy. But we have sometimes found a really great deal. My living room HD TV was one that was returned last year at about 10:30, while the sale was still on. I guess the people found a better deal elsewhere. We paid $249 for it, which was almost half price. That was just a deal we stumbled across. (And we really were in the market for a TV.)

But midnight? Really? I have heard of people that are having their family dinner early so that they can go home and go to bed. They are planning to sleep and then go shopping, like it was third shift or something.

It just makes me mad that they won't just offer things at great prices for everyone instead of for the people willing to kill themselves and each other over a good deal. I'm planning to do a lot of my shopping on Cyber Monday.

Grrrrrrr.

Blessings,

Bethann

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers
It's crazy, but people do it. I would hate to be someone who had to eat their dinner at noon so they could go to bed at 3 to be up for work at midnight.

November 24th, 2011, 3:48 pm #5

my nephew is one that is supposed to be at work at 11pm and was told to expect to work a double shift... I always thought 4am was bad enough.. but 12 downright ridiculous! I feel for all the people that have to work.. We would like to get a new TV this year.. we have been planning for it.. but I dont see us up at midnight...

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

November 24th, 2011, 9:11 pm #6

Grrrrrrr.

Blessings,

Bethann

(Wal-Mart) and they have everything in the center of the aisle with tape on it all and signs saying "not available till 10 PM". Yuck..... I don't want shop tonight. I don't want shop tomorrow... yeah I am sure there are great deals to be had on things my kids would love but I am just not doing it.. I still recall a few years back when a lady was trampled waiting to get into wal-mart for the "doorbuster sales" black friday morning... so sad.....

November 25th, 2011, 12:44 am #7

Grrrrrrr.

Blessings,

Bethann

I'm not shopping at WM or anywhere else tomorrow.

People who work retail, should know, or will soon know, if they didn't already know, that retail sells mean crazy hours over the holidays.

WM employees are going to work long hours over this w/end, and long hours for the weeks to come, they wouldn't have to do that, if we weren't so greedy that we are standing in line at 7pm, to pay $7 instead of $9 for a toy for a kid.

glendaMO

November 25th, 2011, 1:58 am #8

It's crazy, but people do it. I would hate to be someone who had to eat their dinner at noon so they could go to bed at 3 to be up for work at midnight.
and we visit all afternoon vs. eating a huge meal and going to bed.

This year, I got to work through the big meal, and had McD's for dinner.

glendaMO

November 25th, 2011, 5:01 pm #9

Grrrrrrr.

Blessings,

Bethann

My sister's nephew (her DH's side of the fam) had to work a KMart, so we took him a plate for dinner. While we were in town, we swung by WM around 7PM to check it out as she was wanting the XBox/Kinect deal. I said we could go see how many they had in the stack. They were doing tickets, so they did not have them out and said they didn't know how many they had (yeah, right). I could have gotten in line and been around #10 (@ 7:30 PM), but she said we'll just come back and see how it goes.

At that time, there weren't a whole lot of people there; we got almost a front park. When we got back @ 9:45, the lot was a zoo!!!! She dropped me off to get in line and hunted up a park. I hustled off to the line, and it was long! I ended up being #71. At 10, they started handing out the tickets, and I had mine in about 3 minutes. I'm glad I didn't wait in line from our earlier visit! You just gave the cashier the tickets when you checked out and picked up the XBox over in the Money Center.

The Black and Decker $9.97 griddles and the Rival $2.97 mini-choppers went quick (my niece wanted them). I was able to get my Wheel of Fortune Wii game, but all the others were gone because they opened the games up early.

The crowds were nuts, but since we walked around for awhile some of the checkout lines calmed down, so we didn't have to stand in line long at all. I couldn't believe they actually had the self-checkout lines open. Wonder how much "free" stuff went though them???? Anway, we were back in the car by 11:25 and stopped by Taco Bell on the way home, LOL. Never had supper and needed a little something before bed.

I would have never gone had my sister not wanted the XBox. She's hoping it will get her exercising, so I wanted to be supportive. Plus, I want to play w/ it too. She has to babysit today, so we won't be going anywhere today, maybe this evening.
LisaCNC

November 25th, 2011, 5:57 pm #10

I had not intended to do any Black Friday shopping at all. However, Macy's had a really good price on a Magic Bullet, which DS would like to have. And we are leaving for the rest of the weekend and would miss the sale prices. Macy's opened at midnight, and I would NOT have gone at that time. Since I am always the first one up, I decided I would simply go when I woke up, which happened to be a little before 6. They were busy, but not swamped.

One of the other things I wanted was a pair of small sewing scissors. Jo-Ann has Fiskars for 60% off this weekend, no coupon or anything required. I decided to run by and see if they were open, and they were. Also moderately busy, but for a change they had enough help. I ran into a couple of Mennonite girls from Bonner's Ferry (1-1/2 hours north of here) who left home at 10:30 p.m. and shopped all night. Jo-Ann's was their last stop--their goal was to be done when the sun came up, and they just made it.

I was home at 7:15, took a nap, and now we are getting ready to go. Considering I live 15-20 minutes away, that wasn't bad at all!