Big Storm coming ......

Big Storm coming ......

January 31st, 2011, 3:46 pm #1

what do you do to prepare?

Schools were closed for 2-3 days a few weeks back, due to 3 inches of snow, and rural bus routes. We are expecting 14+ inches of snow, and below 0 temps this week, with some possibility of ice in surrounding communities (I think we are out of the ice mix, but that could change at any time).

In preparation for the storm, I am filling the vehicles up with gas, we've got plenty of wood, and propane. I have lamp oil, in case of power outages, and the rugs are in front of the doors, to shuck the shoes.

I am going to make a trip to the grocery store, like everyone else w/in 200 miles. Picking up a loaf of bread, sliced cheese, ground beef, toilet paper, and some lighter fluid.

What do you do to prepare for big storms?
glendaMO

January 31st, 2011, 4:01 pm #2

We are on a community water system, and when the electricity goes out, so does the pump and, therefore, the water. I store water in gallon milk jugs for flushing. If you have to buy water, I believe that Wal-Mart sells it in 2-1/2 gallon jugs and it is cheaper than buying gallons. It used to be stocked with soft drinks.

Find out where you can get dry ice if you have a freezer full of food and the power goes out.

How will you cook? The burners of my gas range can be lit with a match, although not the oven. When we had an electric stove, I used my propane camp stove.

January 31st, 2011, 4:11 pm #3

We have city water - and even in the worst ice storm of the century we've had water.......but I've got about 10 gallon of water available, just in case.

My stove is electric, however, we've got a wood stove with a flat top, we have cooked on before, heated soup, fried bacon and eggs, during a storm. Also have a large BBQ grill, which we can use to cook over too, and camping stoves - have fuel for them.

Our freezer is in the garage, and temps are going to be 20 for highs to sub zero for lows, I don't think anything will thaw. I will move things to the garage to keep, like milk, if we're w/o power. There is a dry ice manufacturer near one of my dd's homes, 35 miles away, if I needed it, that's where I'd go, as the stores locally would be w/o in a matter of hours.
glendaMO

January 31st, 2011, 5:35 pm #4

Schools were closed for 2-3 days a few weeks back, due to 3 inches of snow, and rural bus routes. We are expecting 14+ inches of snow, and below 0 temps this week, with some possibility of ice in surrounding communities (I think we are out of the ice mix, but that could change at any time).

In preparation for the storm, I am filling the vehicles up with gas, we've got plenty of wood, and propane. I have lamp oil, in case of power outages, and the rugs are in front of the doors, to shuck the shoes.

I am going to make a trip to the grocery store, like everyone else w/in 200 miles. Picking up a loaf of bread, sliced cheese, ground beef, toilet paper, and some lighter fluid.

snow tomorrow (2-4 inches aka nothing though they'll likely close school) changing to sleet/freezing rain through out wed, changing to rain wed evening.

I never anticipate losing power, we haven't ever before (9 years in this house) though since you reminded me i'll be sure to set up some water. if it got really bad i'd ask the neighbor across the street if we can hang out there - they have a fireplace. (and i think a generator?)

other than that - we've never had a storm that stranded us for more than a day or two. no prep needed for that.

January 31st, 2011, 5:49 pm #5

over the last 20 years..... we are rural, and the last ice storm, 2007, had some without power for 18 days, so many electric poles were snapped that they were shipped in from all over to replace them, miles of them.

That is my fear, being w/o power for an extended period of time, we are ready to be w/o for a few days. Preparing to have my girls, and their daughters here - I'm sure my son and his wife will try to ride it out at their house, and may do okay with that, if they can get out of their long drive, they are close to the only WM for 20 miles, and I doubt WM will be left w/o power for long.

Either way, ice or snow of the magnatude they are predicting will close the schools in the area for several days. We are rural enough that most school districts have buses out on rural roads that likely won't be plowed at all, the snow will have to melt off - we don't have snow like this often, so it's not feasible to have all the snow removal equipment that everyone has north of us. The interstates will be easily drivable w/in 24 hours, and if I can get out of the 1/2 mile county road my house is on, we'll be able to get to town, sometimes getting out of our drive is the biggest concern.
glendaMO

January 31st, 2011, 6:21 pm #6

With blowing, drifting and periods of near-blizzard conditions late Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service. Keep in mind that I live in Michigan, so although it's a storm, it's not not something we don't get at least once a year here. Most of the bad storms have missed us this year though, so we've been lucky.

We'll gas up the cars and get extra for the snow-blower. We have food in the house and we've never lost power in a snowstorm that I can ever remember. Ds's school is scheduled for 1/2 day on Wednesday for an inservice day or something, so I imagine he'll have that day off because of the roads, and possibly Thursday if we get the larger amount. Even in a big storm our roads are often pretty good the next day, two at the most. Dh has missed one day of work in the last 15 years because of weather. It would have been a few more if it were up to me, because of the roads.

January 31st, 2011, 6:39 pm #7

over the last 20 years..... we are rural, and the last ice storm, 2007, had some without power for 18 days, so many electric poles were snapped that they were shipped in from all over to replace them, miles of them.

That is my fear, being w/o power for an extended period of time, we are ready to be w/o for a few days. Preparing to have my girls, and their daughters here - I'm sure my son and his wife will try to ride it out at their house, and may do okay with that, if they can get out of their long drive, they are close to the only WM for 20 miles, and I doubt WM will be left w/o power for long.

Either way, ice or snow of the magnatude they are predicting will close the schools in the area for several days. We are rural enough that most school districts have buses out on rural roads that likely won't be plowed at all, the snow will have to melt off - we don't have snow like this often, so it's not feasible to have all the snow removal equipment that everyone has north of us. The interstates will be easily drivable w/in 24 hours, and if I can get out of the 1/2 mile county road my house is on, we'll be able to get to town, sometimes getting out of our drive is the biggest concern.
I really hope this time we are not out 13 days of power. Glenda, I didn't realize you had ice also from 07, I thought only we did. Both driveways were blocked by trees down. We literally had to cut trees down to reach the paved roads. I pray the ice is brief and the snow is easy to plow!

January 31st, 2011, 6:56 pm #8

now I'm thinking maybe it was 2005?

Regardless, the post traumatic ice storm stress is REAL, it sends everyone w/in 300 miles into a panic.

I have anxiety thinking about it - and WE weren't w/o power but for 24 hours here, but my folks, kids, friends from church...many of them were w/o power for over 2 weeks.

Praying the ice misses ALL of us, and if we're going to have a storm, it's just SNOW!
glendaMO

January 31st, 2011, 7:04 pm #9

With blowing, drifting and periods of near-blizzard conditions late Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service. Keep in mind that I live in Michigan, so although it's a storm, it's not not something we don't get at least once a year here. Most of the bad storms have missed us this year though, so we've been lucky.

We'll gas up the cars and get extra for the snow-blower. We have food in the house and we've never lost power in a snowstorm that I can ever remember. Ds's school is scheduled for 1/2 day on Wednesday for an inservice day or something, so I imagine he'll have that day off because of the roads, and possibly Thursday if we get the larger amount. Even in a big storm our roads are often pretty good the next day, two at the most. Dh has missed one day of work in the last 15 years because of weather. It would have been a few more if it were up to me, because of the roads.
by tomorrow too - and the snow is varied from 8-24 inches before Wednesday. We usually get one 'good' snow a year, meaning 5-6 inches of snow. I don't think the snow will cause any power problems, it's the warm moist air from the south, meeting with the cooler moist air from the north, and the fact that the cold air is suppose to be the strongest, freezing the northern moisture in the form of ICE on everything that exist.

On the bright side, the grands haven't got to make a snow man this year, and we haven't had snow ice cream............ I think that'll change by the time the week is over.
glendaMO

January 31st, 2011, 7:18 pm #10

We never lost power..thank goodness. The roads were open, some only 1 lane, between the storms enough for everyone to run to the store for a few more supplies. I really wouldn't worry about food that much, just the things you really need anyways. Yes, you could be out for 18 days agin, but chances are slim. Sounds like you are getting snow, not ice..we could have a mess with snow first, then ice.

The prospect of losing water is my worst fear. I'd make sure you have enough for drinking and some flushing. Beyond that, make some hot chocolate and enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it~~~~~Ferris Bueller
Last edited by SingingSkies on January 31st, 2011, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.