BIG Projects anyone?

BIG Projects anyone?

August 9th, 2011, 10:59 am #1

I'm renovating an unfinished basement with 1/2 bath into a MBR with full bath right now, in the new house... My BF is doing most of the work but stuff is adding up fast... so gfar I have spent (and some of this falls into gray area- liek the washer dryer- needed them anyway, but they are for donw there:

Used washer dryer, delivered $420 (excellent condition, King sized Kenmore Elite)
Wet Dry Vac $102 (also used a $10 off couon)
2 5 gallon pais of drylock (used 2 $10 off coupons $ 218
Tub and plumbing materilas $700
Framing materials and 2 new windows $750
----------------------------------------
Total so far $2190

Framing begins next week. After the framing we are looking at paying electricain, plumber ($1500) there is a lot of plumbing work including cracking up the cement and replacing it) , flooring, drywall materials and doors and trim plus paint. Ouch.... what have you got going on for big projects anyone?

Also looking at replacing my very falling apart van some time VERY soon....

August 9th, 2011, 2:48 pm #2

We are still working on the cabin. I'm sure we could get a certificate of occupancy now, but DH is a perfectionist.

Future projects include having a garage roughed in and getting grass planted in the backyard this fall. We've had the grading done and paid a kid to chuck the rocks left on top. I'm going to spray the weeds with RoundUp this week (maybe today!) and pay someone to rototill it and rake it out.

I've got 5 lbs. of grass seed that's a couple of years old. Anyone know how to test to see if it is still viable? If it is, I thought I would mix it with new grass seed and use that. We are NOT landscaping the back--there are mature trees and I thought I'd put a small border of shrubs and flowers right up next to the house, but othewise just go with grass. Low maintenance, that's what I want. And, say what you will, I think grass is easier to keep up than most other things.

We also need to get the outside painted this fall, and are debating whether to do it ourselves.

Winter projects including putting up baseboards and moldings. Plus a lot of other stuff I don't even want to think about right now!

This house needs work, too. So does the duplex. We worked on it last week, and I think I've got it rented. (I have an application). Saturday, I plan to paint the second bedroom. Touch-up wasn't enough in there. (We painted the living room and front bedroom).

August 9th, 2011, 4:47 pm #3

Sure they are but really the cabin is one BIG project!

August 9th, 2011, 4:55 pm #4

I'm renovating an unfinished basement with 1/2 bath into a MBR with full bath right now, in the new house... My BF is doing most of the work but stuff is adding up fast... so gfar I have spent (and some of this falls into gray area- liek the washer dryer- needed them anyway, but they are for donw there:

Used washer dryer, delivered $420 (excellent condition, King sized Kenmore Elite)
Total so far $2190

Framing begins next week. After the framing we are looking at paying electricain, plumber ($1500) there is a lot of plumbing work including cracking up the cement and replacing it) , flooring, drywall materials and doors and trim plus paint. Ouch.... what have you got going on for big projects anyone?

on a VERY limited budget, lol!!! But I have to say that deep in my heart... I am prone to loving big old American made luxury cars... lol! My first ever car was a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix.

OK, so I bought a 1993 Pontiac (yeah my Dad will be proud....) Bonneville with 50K miles on it. Its the same color- emerald green as that 1979 Grand Prix I had.... Excellent condition, leather interior, needs a few little things- antenna motor, front headlight assemblly and some kind of a cover to protect the back seat from my daughter... she is a MESS.... Any ideas? Rear seat is a bench seat. I want something that will stay up, in place, be washable snd it needs to let those seat belt connctors thru. I'm gonna look and see what wal-mart has...

Nope, it's not a 4 x 4 (as I had talked about previously) but those in my price range (for right now) were not worth doing... my van is dyeing fast, so this had to be done. I deally I wanted to wait till after next tax season. But the vans tranny is slipping bad and it needs intake gaskets, front end work and a host of other "little" things. So I had to do what I can with the cash I have on hand... : )

One good thing about this new(to me) Bonneville is according to the kbb.com reports, this car has an excellent satisfaction rating, some people are getting 150-200K+ miles out of them and if what they say about getting 27 mpgs turns out to be true then that is a big improvement over the 18-20 I get now....

One major worry off my mind... now jsut to go to DMV and deal with all that fun....

August 9th, 2011, 5:32 pm #5

A 1993 with low mileage like that, was it a little old ladies car?
That should keep your car insurance premium low as well!

Just wanted to say, we learned this the hard way even if the car tires hardly have any miles on them the construction can fall apart, and you can have it blow out going down the highway!

Here's a link to a 20/20 show that shows how to find the date code on the tireshttp://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/car-tir ... e-12071428

Good luck with the new ride!
Last edited by mom24dgs on August 9th, 2011, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 9th, 2011, 9:07 pm #6

Total so far $2190

Its too hot to do anything. I haven't used the oven in over a month. I have my sewing room shut off trying to keep the house cool. Which makes it too hot to work in there. And its too hot to do anything outside or in the shed.

I'm not even doing small projects. I've been laying around reading books and watching dvds from the library.

In our effort of trying to beat the heat and saved electric we have been shutting everything off that we can, even turned off the computer for a few days. Which was kinda of weird at first, then it was no big deal and sorta nice. If you know what I mean.

August 9th, 2011, 9:42 pm #7

A 1993 with low mileage like that, was it a little old ladies car?
That should keep your car insurance premium low as well!

Just wanted to say, we learned this the hard way even if the car tires hardly have any miles on them the construction can fall apart, and you can have it blow out going down the highway!

Here's a link to a 20/20 show that shows how to find the date code on the tireshttp://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/car-tir ... e-12071428

Good luck with the new ride!
Thankfully the tires are not the original ones....

August 10th, 2011, 3:30 pm #8

Total so far $2190

I want to rent out our basement, which means we need to finish it. It will be about 1500 sq ft of finished space.

This means first decluttering. Ugh. Followed by

1. cleaning and etching the concrete floors. This is a BIG job. Remember we lived down there for 6.5 years on unfinished concrete, so there is some serious grease on the floor where our kitchen was.
2. Painting the floors
3. priming and painting the walls/ceiling
4. painting trim and doors and installing.

I'm going to do the bedroom/closet/bathroom suite first. I'm going to start next week. This will require taking 1-2 days a week off work for the next few weeks to finish the bedroom suite.

I think that it is going to look great when it's done (I hope anyway!). It's a walkout basement with lots of sunny southern windows. It has 9 ft ceilings and no posts. There is radiant heat in the floor. I want it to look and feel sort of like an urban loft when I'm done. We installed several sound-proofing items between the main floor and the basement with renting itin mind.

I'm actually hoping to find someone to use it as office space. There isn't much office space up where we are. Given the size, I think it would work well for the right small business set-up. Most office space I see advertised is for basic offices, not large areas. Also, there is hiking/mountain biking right out the door, so it could really appeal to the right person.

I'm also hoping to refinance our house at these current lower rates. I think I need that finished space to make the appraisal after all the foreclosures and dismal sales rates in our area.

DH and I went through all the paint leftover from the upstairs and we have enough paint for all the ceilings in the basement, and for the bedroom and bathroom suite. WooHoo!

Last edited by PaulaF-in-CO on August 10th, 2011, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 10th, 2011, 10:10 pm #9

Total so far $2190

That is project enough for me... :-P

I'm doing lots and lots of small cross stitching projects to keep myself amused and entertained. Also to distract me from the relentless cartoons in the evening at the group home. =8-| Have you ever seen Sponge Bob?! Oh my GOD! Last Sunday I thought I might become a danger to myself or others!

August 13th, 2011, 4:18 pm #10

Total so far $2190

Moving again! This time to KY, probably right after Labor Day.

So far I have started to declutter and taken a big box or two to the trash, and have a big box ready to go go goodwill. It's amazing what you collect when you have lots of empty space to put it in. As I think of items that I know I will want to keep with me or leave here I'm moving them to the guest bath.

I dug out the box for my Cox digital receiver, and need to call them and see about returning it...

I'm not quite sure what to do with my mail this time around. Previously I've always had an address prior to moving, so I could submit my change of address a couple of days before I left and have it going to the new place. This time I'm leaning towards an apartment complex and I don't know if I will have a unit number before I get there and sign a lease. It may have to go to TX for a couple of weeks.

The apartment complex I've settled on has only 1 bedroom units available, which means I may have to part with my queen sized IKEA futon. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and move it and see if I can make it fit, or just get rid of it now. Guests can sleep on an air mattress. They are large units though. The living room is 20x15, bedroom is 13x15, with a 9x8 dining room. The living room would be bigger than my current living room... 725sq ft.

I'm getting 'moved', so I will drive my car about 2200 miles. It'll need an oil change asap when I arrive! If I drive too much before I leave it'll be getting an oil change in TX.
Last edited by Stacey_K on August 13th, 2011, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.