Best intentions

Best intentions

December 17th, 2010, 4:02 pm #1

sidelined by a killer sinus thing. I've never had such pain and pressure. it got to the point i actually had to take something just to get out of bed (i'm not supposed to take sinus meds bc of my high BP) cleared it right up so now i'm just sitting here at work hoping not to have a stroke. (i am being melodramatic, but i do worry a bit)

didn't get to the foyer for two days now, but i did do a detailed vac in my bedroom and upstairs hall while i could still breathe last night, and wrapped a few last minute things. did some "regular" stuff last night - dishes, laundry.

hopefully will be better by tomorrow to do the big clean up for Christmas company.

Still only 1/4 done the christmas cards.

December 17th, 2010, 4:22 pm #2

I'm sorry you don't feel well.

December 17th, 2010, 5:02 pm #3

sidelined by a killer sinus thing. I've never had such pain and pressure. it got to the point i actually had to take something just to get out of bed (i'm not supposed to take sinus meds bc of my high BP) cleared it right up so now i'm just sitting here at work hoping not to have a stroke. (i am being melodramatic, but i do worry a bit)

didn't get to the foyer for two days now, but i did do a detailed vac in my bedroom and upstairs hall while i could still breathe last night, and wrapped a few last minute things. did some "regular" stuff last night - dishes, laundry.

hopefully will be better by tomorrow to do the big clean up for Christmas company.

Although my sinus infection is just annoying right now, not debilitating. Can you stand to eat garlic or onion? They have natural antibiotic qualities. I can't stand either, but I'm going to go buy some garlic tablets and see if I can beat this thing before Christmas.

I made some headway in the living/dining room last night but most of the clutter was just moved to another room where it is clutter there because the stuff has no HOME! Hopefully, the girls will go through the pile of clothes on the 24th, and I can get rid of that pile.

------
Well, I can't believe the stuff that is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. - Alice

December 17th, 2010, 5:31 pm #4

Fortunately I have the cure for sinus infections.

Lemon juice (not lemon flavoured water that is called lemon juice, but real lemon juice in a bottle)
Fresh ginger (not powdered)
Green tea
Honey (unpasteurized)

You mix it in quantities so that it is about as strong as you can stand. There isn't really a recipe, but something like 4 litres of water, 5 tea bags, about a 10 cm chunk of ginger, sliced, and a cup or so of honey.

Make the tea and steep with the ginger. Let it simmer on low for about an hour. Add lemon juice and honey to taste. You should be able to taste each thing distinctly and if you can't you haven't put in enough. It takes a lot more than you think it will, but when it tastes good and like all of the ingredients (not too sweet, not too lemon) then it is perfect.

Drink as much as you can and eat the ginger slices when they land in your cup. Any leftovers can sit in the pot overnight and you can drink them the next day. It will be stronger the next day but you'll be more used to how strong it is.

You need to keep drinking it until your snot turns yellow. If it doesn't you aren't better even if you think you might be better. You are going to have to blow your nose a lot of times before it is over.

I have chronic sinus infections and works better than anything else I've tried. I'm not against chemical Hot Lemon, but it doesn't really help you get better. It just dries everything up and you get a rebound effect. Also my hot lemon does not carry the side effect of potential death...

My mom had a heart defect and therefore a blood pressure issue and she nearly killed herself with cold medicine one time.

December 17th, 2010, 5:42 pm #5

I usually just live with it bc the one med that's "safe" to take with High BP doesn't work for me.

this morning was just the worst it's ever been!

I haven't any of those things in the house (maybe green tea) and don't like any of them. If it's as bad tomorrow morning i'll send dh to the store!

DH suggested i inhale some of his favorite horseradish mustard to clear things out. I can't even be in the Kitchen when he eats it, no way am i breathing that in!!

December 17th, 2010, 6:46 pm #6

Fortunately I have the cure for sinus infections.

Lemon juice (not lemon flavoured water that is called lemon juice, but real lemon juice in a bottle)
Fresh ginger (not powdered)
Green tea
Honey (unpasteurized)

You mix it in quantities so that it is about as strong as you can stand. There isn't really a recipe, but something like 4 litres of water, 5 tea bags, about a 10 cm chunk of ginger, sliced, and a cup or so of honey.

Make the tea and steep with the ginger. Let it simmer on low for about an hour. Add lemon juice and honey to taste. You should be able to taste each thing distinctly and if you can't you haven't put in enough. It takes a lot more than you think it will, but when it tastes good and like all of the ingredients (not too sweet, not too lemon) then it is perfect.

Drink as much as you can and eat the ginger slices when they land in your cup. Any leftovers can sit in the pot overnight and you can drink them the next day. It will be stronger the next day but you'll be more used to how strong it is.

You need to keep drinking it until your snot turns yellow. If it doesn't you aren't better even if you think you might be better. You are going to have to blow your nose a lot of times before it is over.

I have chronic sinus infections and works better than anything else I've tried. I'm not against chemical Hot Lemon, but it doesn't really help you get better. It just dries everything up and you get a rebound effect. Also my hot lemon does not carry the side effect of potential death...

My mom had a heart defect and therefore a blood pressure issue and she nearly killed herself with cold medicine one time.

I've got a ginger plant out in the pond, but I've never tried to use any of the root. I guess it's the same as the stuff in stores, but I don't know.

------
Well, I can't believe the stuff that is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. - Alice

December 17th, 2010, 7:44 pm #7

Ds (8) uses one whenever his nose is gunky and it helps him feel better. It's one part baking soda and two parts plain salt (like pickling salt - no iodine or anti-caking agents). Half a teaspoon in a cup of warm water, administered with a neti pot or he uses a sort of squirt bottle designed for that purpose. What comes out is sort of revolting, but it helps. I looked at ds's doctor like he was nuts when he gave it to us. Amazingly, ds tried it and likes it.

December 17th, 2010, 8:14 pm #8

how about completely revolting! LOL!!

I"ll have to check if we have the right salt.

The only thing i have in the house is the baby snot sucker - that should work the other way too for this right? (i have no idea what a neti pot is)

December 17th, 2010, 9:12 pm #9

Kosher salt would work too, just check that it doesn't have any anti-caking agent in it. It usually doesn't. The idea is that you want to completely fill your sinuses. I actually help ds with this. With constant pressure on the squeeze bottle and his head over the tub I squeeze until half the solution is gone - about 1/2 cup. This ensures that his sinuses are completely filled and we're not missing anything. Then we change nostrils and finish the bottle on the other side.

A net pot looks like a little teapot. I'm trying to think of something you could use around the house but I can't come up with anything. You need to be bent over while getting it into your sinuses and you need to be able to put a steady stream of it in for awhile. They have the squeeze bottles at Walmart though, and any drug store. Ours is NeilMed brand but there are others too. My friend's husband also uses this daily to help with his allergies. He uses just salt water though, no baking soda.

December 17th, 2010, 9:36 pm #10

I've got a ginger plant out in the pond, but I've never tried to use any of the root. I guess it's the same as the stuff in stores, but I don't know.

------
It is in the produce section. To keep it a long time just toss it into the freezer. When you need some you can grate it on a box grater without peeling or defrosting and then toss it back into the freezer til next time.