Battery chargers.

Battery chargers.

Joined: May 24th, 2006, 12:50 pm

April 28th, 2012, 12:52 am #1

Hubby was talking to some guys and one had experienced a house fire that was ultimately determined to be caused by a battery charger. He told me to research battery chargers and see if they were normally a fire hazard and I was pretty stunned with what I came up with. Apparently you are never supposed to leave battery chargers on overnight or unattended. We left several of them on all the time, went out of town with them plugged in. Some of the fires I read about were from car battery charging but it sounds like any other kind is a danger too. So we went through the house and garage and unplugged them all and will just plug them in before we need them, so will have to plan ahead. Guess I will save some money on energy too.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 24th, 2006, 7:54 pm

April 28th, 2012, 10:29 pm #2

hand held vacuum. The plug gets incredibly hot and it bothers me that we have it plugged in all the time. If we don't, the vacuum loses power. I have thought about just getting rid of it.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 24th, 2006, 12:50 pm

April 29th, 2012, 1:53 am #3

We have one in the closet that I think we forgot.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: December 1st, 2006, 5:36 pm

April 30th, 2012, 1:43 pm #4

Hubby was talking to some guys and one had experienced a house fire that was ultimately determined to be caused by a battery charger. He told me to research battery chargers and see if they were normally a fire hazard and I was pretty stunned with what I came up with. Apparently you are never supposed to leave battery chargers on overnight or unattended. We left several of them on all the time, went out of town with them plugged in. Some of the fires I read about were from car battery charging but it sounds like any other kind is a danger too. So we went through the house and garage and unplugged them all and will just plug them in before we need them, so will have to plan ahead. Guess I will save some money on energy too.
I've heard that it's better to leave the laptop on all the time rather than turning it on and off every day. So, I've been doing that, but I've been leaving it plugged into the outlet so the battery doesn't die. Do I need to stop doing that????
LisaCNC
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 29th, 2005, 6:29 pm

April 30th, 2012, 11:27 pm #5

That it should be turned off on a regular basis, that leaving it on all the time clogged up the memory or something. I do just close the lid and let it 'sleep' a lot, particularly transitioning between office and home, but I also turn it off every night. If it's off and charged, or even in sleep mode, there's no reason to leave it plugged in. Mine will survive in sleep mode for at least 12 hours and still have some battery life.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 3rd, 2012, 12:32 am

May 1st, 2012, 1:17 am #6

I've heard that it's better to leave the laptop on all the time rather than turning it on and off every day. So, I've been doing that, but I've been leaving it plugged into the outlet so the battery doesn't die. Do I need to stop doing that????
I leave my laptop on pretty much all the time, only turning it off when I travel. I just close it and it gets to sleep. Now what I do know is that leaving it plugged in all the time will ruin your battery life on your laptop. Believe me I did it to 2 laptops. I've really tried to be better with my new laptop and only plug it in to charge and then unplug it and let it run almost down and then plug it back in.
Jaime
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: December 1st, 2006, 5:36 pm

May 1st, 2012, 1:53 am #7

That it should be turned off on a regular basis, that leaving it on all the time clogged up the memory or something. I do just close the lid and let it 'sleep' a lot, particularly transitioning between office and home, but I also turn it off every night. If it's off and charged, or even in sleep mode, there's no reason to leave it plugged in. Mine will survive in sleep mode for at least 12 hours and still have some battery life.
Who knows???? I do close the lid at night.
LisaCNC
Quote
Like
Share