Are you working on a project? Tell us about it! Here is mine.

Are you working on a project? Tell us about it! Here is mine.

June 1st, 2011, 5:12 pm #1

And show us a picture, if you can.

I am still sewing curtains for the cabin. They aren't hanging yet, so I can't send a picture. So far I have completed:
(1) Bathroom curtains with matching shower curtain and contrasting valance. I made these out of about $7-$8 worth of sheets from the thrift store. I needed two shower curtain rods and kept meaning the check at thrift stores. A couple of weeks ago, I ran into a closeout display at Wal-Mart and got two brand-new ones for .75 each!

(2) Light blue and white striped tie-backs for the small upstairs bathroom, from a sheet I bought years ago (for something else) for $1. I had a white Battenburg lace valance that I've used in two houses. Curtain rods for both bathrooms from Big Lots.

(3) Two sets of matching, lined curtains for the loft. All I can tell you is that I used a 50% off coupon at Jo-Ann's for all of the material! They don't have a valance, but I got that effect by sewing a contrasting fabric for the top foot or so of each curtain. I didn't have the right amounts to make the two pairs identical, so I reversed them--stripes on top of stars for one set of curtains, stars on top of stripes for the other. (Wonder if anyone will notice??) These are just simple panels that will be hung with clip-on hooks. I got the black curtain rods and rings at Big Lots for cheap. Very good source for curtain rods.

(4) Ditto the clip-on rings in the kitchen. I also did the same fake valance thing, except I used black and white ticking on the top (which I had to order online--it goes out as fast as it comes in) and black and white toile on the bottom. (Toile 50% off at Hancock). I separated the two with a band of 2 inch grosgrain ribbon and also sewed ribbon down the sides of each panel. I got the black cafe rod for $2 at a yard sale.

I'm a little bit curtained-out just now. However, Mary is coming next week to help me with the curtains for the living room, dining room and bedroom. Total of 4 pairs--at least two of them lined, and maybe all of them lined--and I'm done! I got the plaid LR/DR fabric with a 50% off coupon at Jo-Ann's and ordered the bedroom material online (a closeout, of course). I ordered Rufflette pleating tape to make pencil pleats in the bedroom--thanks again, Polly!

The big thing, for me, is cutting. I really sweat it, and I don't always get it right...whereas Mary will go zapzapzap with the rotary cutter and they will be perfect. So that's what I'm gonna let her do. It's a good thing that the size wasn't too critical on the kitchen curtains. Just as I was beginning to feel good about my rotary cutting skill, I noticed that no two of the four pieces of fabric were the same size. LOLOLOLOL. I just trimmed them up to match and kept sewing!

June 1st, 2011, 6:57 pm #2

Besides quilts because I have several of them in several stages of completion.

1) I have struggled with the flower beds between the front sidewalk and house since we moved here 15 years ago. The previous owner had photinia planted in the front space that is only 24 inches deep and dwarf yaupon holly in the space that is only 18 inches deep. Needless to say, once they grew out, they almost covered the walk. Since then I have tried a variety of flowers and evergreens, and all droop over and cover the walk so it's hard to walk to the house from the driveway.

Also, in the spring before the plants fill in, the mud daubers are busy getting the dirt and sticking it up in nests under the porch. And then they are always hanging around the front door trying to get in.

So the other day I decided to buy some brick type pavers and installed them next to the sidewalk on the flower bed side. I'm digging up the day lilies I planted last year and putting in lirope I have in other beds. I think the lirope will stay evergreen right there so no bare dirt for the daubers, and the brick will be just the right size to keep the foliage off the sidewalk, even when it gets thick.

The hardest part is digging up the widow's tears (looks like crabgrass in the picture). That stuff has long roots that break off just when I think it's going to pull out.

If it looks good on this side, I'll do the other side too. It has Asian jasmine which will crawl across the sidewalk or brick.

Edited to add my other outdoor projects.

2) I am putting 12x12 inch pavers around the foundation of the house instead of mulch. I want a clear space to see if fire ants or carpenter ants are getting into the house anywhere. Also, I hope they will keep the moisture level around the house consistent in this drought we are having.

3) I am putting in a stone walkway from the deck walk to the shed. So far I am just setting them on the top of the ground until I get the right arrangement. Then the hard part - I have to set them in so they are flush with the ground.

4) I want to build a fence to cover up dh's golf cart and assorted junk. But not just any fence, I want it to look like another false front building. I went to Home Depot this morning looking for some kind of board that will be somewhat waterproof for the base plate. Ever go to one of those places and tell someone you want something out of the ordinary? When I told him I was building a faux fence and wanted a bottom plate that will sit on concrete that is often wet, he immediately tried to tell me the right way to build a fence. sigh I came home empty handed. To his credit, when I told dh what I had in mind, he just nodded. There was a time when he would have said it was stupid, wouldn't work, etc, but lately he is trying to keep an open mind to my strange ideas. lol

------
The road to success is always under construction.
Last edited by TxNet on June 1st, 2011, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 1st, 2011, 7:29 pm #3

I really like that!!

June 1st, 2011, 7:39 pm #4

------

June 1st, 2011, 8:29 pm #5

I am still sewing curtains for the cabin. They aren't hanging yet, so I can't send a picture. So far I have completed:
(1) Bathroom curtains with matching shower curtain and contrasting valance. I made these out of about $7-$8 worth of sheets from the thrift store. I needed two shower curtain rods and kept meaning the check at thrift stores. A couple of weeks ago, I ran into a closeout display at Wal-Mart and got two brand-new ones for .75 each!

(2) Light blue and white striped tie-backs for the small upstairs bathroom, from a sheet I bought years ago (for something else) for $1. I had a white Battenburg lace valance that I've used in two houses. Curtain rods for both bathrooms from Big Lots.

(3) Two sets of matching, lined curtains for the loft. All I can tell you is that I used a 50% off coupon at Jo-Ann's for all of the material! They don't have a valance, but I got that effect by sewing a contrasting fabric for the top foot or so of each curtain. I didn't have the right amounts to make the two pairs identical, so I reversed them--stripes on top of stars for one set of curtains, stars on top of stripes for the other. (Wonder if anyone will notice??) These are just simple panels that will be hung with clip-on hooks. I got the black curtain rods and rings at Big Lots for cheap. Very good source for curtain rods.

(4) Ditto the clip-on rings in the kitchen. I also did the same fake valance thing, except I used black and white ticking on the top (which I had to order online--it goes out as fast as it comes in) and black and white toile on the bottom. (Toile 50% off at Hancock). I separated the two with a band of 2 inch grosgrain ribbon and also sewed ribbon down the sides of each panel. I got the black cafe rod for $2 at a yard sale.

I'm a little bit curtained-out just now. However, Mary is coming next week to help me with the curtains for the living room, dining room and bedroom. Total of 4 pairs--at least two of them lined, and maybe all of them lined--and I'm done! I got the plaid LR/DR fabric with a 50% off coupon at Jo-Ann's and ordered the bedroom material online (a closeout, of course). I ordered Rufflette pleating tape to make pencil pleats in the bedroom--thanks again, Polly!

The big thing, for me, is cutting. I really sweat it, and I don't always get it right...whereas Mary will go zapzapzap with the rotary cutter and they will be perfect. So that's what I'm gonna let her do. It's a good thing that the size wasn't too critical on the kitchen curtains. Just as I was beginning to feel good about my rotary cutting skill, I noticed that no two of the four pieces of fabric were the same size. LOLOLOLOL. I just trimmed them up to match and kept sewing!
but all boring.
I am painting a thrift store table that will become my computer table.
I am working on quilts as well. Actually finished one on Sunday and have
3 more coming back from the long arm quilter this weekend.
I am scanning all my paint pattern books so I can put them in long term storage.
Same with the scroll saw pattern books.
I am working on packing up dd's older (younger) books so they are not underfoot.
We have some repairs to do on the house and the truck camper.

We are trying to make some major changes here and it is all starting with little steps.
We will see how it all works out in the end.

Looking forward to your photos, Max.

Missy

June 1st, 2011, 9:51 pm #6

The quilt for Emili is absolutely beautiful! The pattern and fabrics are really fun together. I think it's the prettiest one you've made yet.

June 1st, 2011, 10:36 pm #7

We are doing home repair - I use to think home ownership was the only way to go, lately I've decided it's not as important as I once thought. UGH!

Dh is very handy when it comes to working on cars, cooking, fixing something mechanical or even electrical - but he has minimal carpentry skills. Most of what he does have, he learned by helping friends build a large shop with a small restroom and kitchen enclosure. I grew up using a table saw, drill press, saber saw... but never built a building or repaired one. I have learned that the right tools for the job make the job much easier - unfortunately my BIL has most of my Dad's woodworking tools and it's just not worth the fight to borrow them from them.

We are currently replacing a good portion of the exterior trim on the house with PVC, so we hopefully never have to do this again. We would not have been able to do this 20 years ago, our relationship has grown! We have more patience with one another than I dreamed. We are SLOW, but we are making progress. Our goal is to get done the windows all done this w/end, then we'll move on to replace the soffitting, door trim and the vent trim. Hopefully by fall, we'll be able to paint all the trim and the house. Dh has also dry walled a few spots in the ceiling. We had a water leak, and also had a few places that were poorly done to begin with. I promised to remove some popcorn ceiling - I'm procrastinating that dirty job, I don't anticipate it being hard, just messy.

It's a growing project, as we discussed it last night, dh mentioned that we should also re do the wood floors, and the kitchen needs redone. I'm all for doing all of it - if I win the lottery!!! Right now I'm wondering where the money is going to come from, for all of it.
glendaMO

June 1st, 2011, 10:47 pm #8

I am so tired of maintenance! Good luck with your project. I wish we lived nearby to trade off some skills. Dh is quite handy with carpentry, but not so much with cars.

------

June 2nd, 2011, 12:51 am #9

The quilt for Emili is absolutely beautiful! The pattern and fabrics are really fun together. I think it's the prettiest one you've made yet.
so very much. It always surprises me that anyone reads the blog.
I am bad at updating.
I really like Emili myself. lol

Missy

June 2nd, 2011, 2:09 am #10

We started working on our utility room a few months ago. So far we've installed attic stairs (no more climbing a step ladder to access the attic!), tore the front off the pantry and coat/broom closet and rebuilt the frames and installed a new pantry door and bi-fold doors on the closet. I painted the inside of the closet & pantry (along with the new doors) a creamy white.

We will start on the ceiling next. Earlier this year we had an incident with our water softener (it sprung a major leak) that caused damage to the ceiling tiles. We will be tearing out the tiles and replacing it with a drywall ceiling.

I plan on painting the room a light shade of turquoise and we will be replacing the berber carpet with tile flooring...just not sure what color yet.