Are you saving for anything?

Are you saving for anything?

May 4th, 2012, 6:42 pm #1

I used my tax refund to pay my yearly internet, which was due this month. I had enough to also buy my virus program. What is leftover(small amount) will go into my new computer fund. I don't need a new computer but I know I will someday so I've been saving a bit at a time for a couple of years to replace this one when needed.

I have a piggy bank that I toss change into, also when I buy something and someone pays me back it goes in there. I told honey that the piggy was going to be his b-day gift, mainly because I didn't know what to give him. It turned out to be a great idea because when we counted it there was close to $200 in there. The best part is he doesn't feel guilty spending money that may be needed elsewhere because this was like a surprise fund. I liked this so well I think I'll empty it on my b-day.LOL

May 4th, 2012, 6:49 pm #2

Well, I hope your next birthday is right before his--so you'll get a big wad of money! Great idea.

I am saving for our next trip to Costa Rica. We are going next March. I got frequent flyer tickets and we are going to rent a house or condo, which will be MEGA cheaper than the tour and hotels we used last time (even though they were pretty reasonable, for what they were).

I finally got square from the dog's surgery, so I can save again!

May 4th, 2012, 7:31 pm #3

I used my tax refund to pay my yearly internet, which was due this month. I had enough to also buy my virus program. What is leftover(small amount) will go into my new computer fund. I don't need a new computer but I know I will someday so I've been saving a bit at a time for a couple of years to replace this one when needed.

I have a piggy bank that I toss change into, also when I buy something and someone pays me back it goes in there. I told honey that the piggy was going to be his b-day gift, mainly because I didn't know what to give him. It turned out to be a great idea because when we counted it there was close to $200 in there. The best part is he doesn't feel guilty spending money that may be needed elsewhere because this was like a surprise fund. I liked this so well I think I'll empty it on my b-day.LOL
When I bought my current car, I had saved a little over $5k towards it, so I only financed part of it. When I got it paid off in late 2007, I started putting that same amount ($260/mo) into my money market acct to put towards my next purchase. I've had to use a few payments' worth on stuff that's come up, but right now I've got a little over $12K saved towards my next vehicle. I'm hoping I can hold out for a couple more years, but we'll have to see. I currently have 162K miles on my 2003 Camry.

Funny thing - I got mine in the "Clerance Zone" at the dealer (no dickering on price since it was clerance). Another dealer has their version of a Clearance Zone now. They had an ad the other week for a 2012 Camry, base model like mine is, for almost $3K LESS that what I paid back in 2003!

Im my MM acct, I do put money in there every month for various items so I ahve the money for the bill when it comes due (vacation, car insurance, etc), but I don't think of it as saving per se. Well, I guess it is for Vacation and my Special Purchases categories. Special Purchases is where I put money and buy non-every day stuff once I have cash. That's how I paid for my laptop, washing machine, freezer, etc.
LisaCNC

Lori in MA
Lori in MA

May 4th, 2012, 7:33 pm #4

I am saving as much as possible the last few months and until the end of July when I quit my job. Out of 77 applicants, I was one of 12 who was accepted for the occupational therapy program at STCC in MA. I am very excited and can't wait!

After trying to figure out the best way to go, we got an equity loan so I can quit my job and go back to school full time in the fall. I also have to take Anatomy & Physiology again this summer since it has been over 10 years since I took it and I need it so I can go into the program.

Yesterday we found out that DH's unemployment is done in 2 weeks instead of the end of August because the unemployment rate went up. So I am in VERY frugal mode and will be for the next 2 years until I graduate.

p.s. Thanks again Bethann for your input on going to school and loans. :)

May 4th, 2012, 8:33 pm #5

Continuing being ubber frugal so as to have as many funds available as possible to help ease into a new chapter in my life, which will require expenditures towards security deposit, some furnishings (most likely most will be second hand). Still have a lot to sort out, it's a process and STBX isn't as "cooperative" as I need him to be. One step at a time. So, I'll call my category, "Life on my own."
: )

May 4th, 2012, 11:11 pm #6

May 5th, 2012, 12:43 am #7

Tamron has some nice lens rebates going on until June 30th. I bought one already, but would like to get the 70-300 mm zoom. That being said I will not get anything until our contract is figured out... looks like we will be going on strike Tuesday morning... I don't have much faith in the mediation/negotiation scheduled for Monday evening. The district canceled classes for Monday and we will be turning in all our stuff... so I am hoping its short lived... we do seem to have good community support... problem is the board gave the superintendent total control and she doesn't care, she seems to have her own agenda... so we will see..

May 5th, 2012, 4:04 pm #8

I'm always saving... 401K, IRA are a constant.

I just blew my downpayment savings on the Denver condo - it's within 10k of being paid off now. I sold some bonds/stocks last week and could finish it off now, but I'll wait until they make the second tax payment in June since I won't be here and don't want to deal with trying to figure out how to pay it myself. Then I'll have to start my own escrow account for the taxes that will be due in Jan. So that's $139,400 + approx $6k in interest per year paid off in 8 years this summer. edit to add, this on a condo that would sell for under $70,000 today. Surprised to see that there are zero units right now for sale or in foreclosure in the complex - that's a first and hopefully a good sign!
Last edited by Stacey_K on May 5th, 2012, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 5th, 2012, 4:15 pm #9

We have been saving for our move. First/last month's rent, security deposit, small shed, U-Haul fees and the list goes on.

I kinda feel like what Kim said "What aren't I saving for."

2catsmom

May 5th, 2012, 6:23 pm #10

I never stop saving for something, but most are for planned obsolescence. The only new thing I want to save for is a cruise. But until this addition and kitchen are done, no point in even trying.

(This should have gone under Stacey's post as I am always saving - I'm not moving.)
Last edited by TxNet on May 7th, 2012, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.