Anyone still using a price book?

Anyone still using a price book?

July 29th, 2011, 10:16 pm #1

I am thinking about it for things that I'm comparison shopping on.

July 29th, 2011, 10:19 pm #2

There is an app that lets you scan the barcode of any product and it will give the you cheapest price at the store nearest you.

July 29th, 2011, 11:04 pm #3

I am thinking about it for things that I'm comparison shopping on.
I don't have a smart phone but I can see where that would be great.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

July 30th, 2011, 2:23 pm #4

There is an app that lets you scan the barcode of any product and it will give the you cheapest price at the store nearest you.
Of course I don't have a smart phone! I don't have any cell phone. :-P

July 30th, 2011, 2:27 pm #5

I don't have a smart phone but I can see where that would be great.

------
How do you do it? I'm thinking three columns (three stores) so that I can see what the prices are at each store on the things I would buy regularly (frozen fruit, canned beans, canned tomato sauce) I can't see myself being able to keep up with more than 10 or 15 prices at three stores. I'm not sure I can really keep up shopping at three stores, but I think I will have to get the best prices.

July 30th, 2011, 2:56 pm #6

Which is why I am redoing it. I have it in a little notebook that will fit in my purse and the pages are about 3x5 inches. So there isn't enough room for columns, and we only have two stores in town so two columns was crowded.

What I'm doing instead is this:

I have a page for each type of food, like canned foods

Then I list all the different canned foods I buy, and beside them, I put the lowest price from either store, and the date I got that price. Then, if I see it at either store at a lower price, I buy it. It doesn't matter which store I get the low price from, because I'm trying to beat that price. If it's been 6 months and I haven't beat the price, I check both stores again to see what their regular price is, and adjust if it has gone up.

I tried to do it the way Amy D showed, but I can't do a page for each thing. It made the price book too thick, and I spent too much time flipping through it. I need the book arranged more or less like the aisles in a store.

------

July 30th, 2011, 3:34 pm #7

uh huh... I can see how this is just another example of how I make things too complicated. I don't need a binder (with a decorated cover insert...) and a bag that the binder will fit in ( possibly new AND home made... possibly with needlework on the front...)

Small notebook. I metally strolled around the house and happened upon barely used composition books that I used for notes for school portfolios. I will use one of those.

Not tiny, but not as large and heavy as a binder, either. I always carry around a steno pad, too, in each bag to make notes to myself. I have a bag for work and a bag for every day because my life is highly compartmentalized.

July 30th, 2011, 4:33 pm #8

I'm appalled that you aren't making a cover for the notebook. "I.just.don't.know.how.you.can.live.like.that," she said, rolling her eyes and ROTFLOLOLOLOLOL

BTW, I think a price book is a splendid idea for keeping track of prices at different stores, but I don't see the prices going down anytime soon. That's a comment also made last night by DS, who doesn't buy a lot of groceries, but has noticed they always seem to cost more.

July 30th, 2011, 4:43 pm #9

(I don't remember where or I'd go back and write the author)

The article said the best day to grocery shop is on Tuesday because the new sales flyer and sales come out on Wednesday, and stores often have unadvertised sale items on Tuesday. The stores are trying to unload stuff before they restock for the next big sales event.

But I haven't found that to be true here. I've been shopping on Tuesday and the only sale prices I see are for the advertised items, and if it's a good sale price, the shelf is empty on Tuesday.

------

July 30th, 2011, 5:41 pm #10

I'm appalled that you aren't making a cover for the notebook. "I.just.don't.know.how.you.can.live.like.that," she said, rolling her eyes and ROTFLOLOLOLOLOL

BTW, I think a price book is a splendid idea for keeping track of prices at different stores, but I don't see the prices going down anytime soon. That's a comment also made last night by DS, who doesn't buy a lot of groceries, but has noticed they always seem to cost more.
I'm cross stitching something to go on the front. Don't wory! I will always make life more complicated than it needs to be! :-P