Anyone still doing the eating down the stockpile besides Carol and me?

Anyone still doing the eating down the stockpile besides Carol and me?

March 17th, 2012, 2:34 am #1

I started this in January 2012 and am still doing the challenge. The next five days will be the last of the meat except for one pkg. of bacon and the next two weeks I also have $25 less to use towards groceries because I screwed up when budgeting. Anyway, here is my menu for the next five days as the pickings are not as plentiful. We have emptied one above the fridge freezer of food already.

Oatmeal, 2 bean burritos, 1 fajita burrito, salmon, coleslaw and Texas Toast. Snacks: canned fruit,Cheerios (Dh loves them dry right outta the pkg.) bananas.

Oatmeal, Chicken Noodle soup, bacon, eggs and cornmeal muffins. Snacks: same as yesterday.

Yogurt, lunchmeat sandwich, coleslaw, mac-n-cheese, fish sticks, peas. Snacks: applesauce, Cheerios, wheat thins.

Oatmeal, PB & J sandwich, bone-in chicken breasts, stuffing, frozen mixed veggie blend. Snacks: Applesauce, Triscuits, popcorn.

Oatmeal, PB & J Sandwich again, whiting fish, another frozen veggie blend, brown rice. Snacks: Canned fruit and popcorn.

March 17th, 2012, 4:23 am #2

I'm getting down to the bottom of things, though. I still have nuts, some seeds, rice, popcorn and oatmeal. I'm working on eating down the new stockpile.... 25 kg of onions... The house rule is you have to eat onions on everything you make.

I need to make an inventory. I went grocery shopping today and the fridge was empty when I went. I'm trying to get used to the idea that is how it should be. We weren't going hungry. All the limp vegetables went into soup and the spoiled food went into the garbage. It's a slightly different system from everything crammed in and half of it doesn't get eaten because the kids don't know what they can have and what they can't. :-/

March 17th, 2012, 6:35 am #3

I started this in January 2012 and am still doing the challenge. The next five days will be the last of the meat except for one pkg. of bacon and the next two weeks I also have $25 less to use towards groceries because I screwed up when budgeting. Anyway, here is my menu for the next five days as the pickings are not as plentiful. We have emptied one above the fridge freezer of food already.

Oatmeal, 2 bean burritos, 1 fajita burrito, salmon, coleslaw and Texas Toast. Snacks: canned fruit,Cheerios (Dh loves them dry right outta the pkg.) bananas.

Oatmeal, Chicken Noodle soup, bacon, eggs and cornmeal muffins. Snacks: same as yesterday.

Yogurt, lunchmeat sandwich, coleslaw, mac-n-cheese, fish sticks, peas. Snacks: applesauce, Cheerios, wheat thins.

Oatmeal, PB & J sandwich, bone-in chicken breasts, stuffing, frozen mixed veggie blend. Snacks: Applesauce, Triscuits, popcorn.

Oatmeal, PB & J Sandwich again, whiting fish, another frozen veggie blend, brown rice. Snacks: Canned fruit and popcorn.
I was working on paying off a debt so I cut everything to the bone for a while. The freezer was down to a bag of ice & a large fish I'm storing for a friend. Now that the debt is gone I'm slowly building my stash back up.

March 17th, 2012, 11:56 am #4

I am eating down both the pantry and the freezer. I try to restock what I can as I find great deals but we are using more then we are replacing right now.

March 17th, 2012, 4:52 pm #5

I wanted to do it to make it easier to move the freezers, but now that I barely have a working kitchen, it's much harder to cook.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

March 17th, 2012, 5:05 pm #6

Your family will be sick of onions after eating 55 lbs. worth.

2catsmom

March 18th, 2012, 2:11 am #7

but it's a struggle...

we need the freezer space, so I can start making wedding BBQ purchases - but when we get a few things eaten out of it, dh goes with me to the store and even between the two of us, we can't pass up 5 pounds of .68/chicken theighs (that was restraint, dh would have bought 10-20 pounds if I'd not been with him).

At times the pile is being stocked as quickly as it's being eaten down.
glendaMO

March 18th, 2012, 4:23 am #8

Your family will be sick of onions after eating 55 lbs. worth.

2catsmom
Probably not... but even if they are ... So what! It was $8!

And we can't afford to be picky.

March 18th, 2012, 5:03 am #9

I am so sorry Kim. I didn't mean to offend you. I know how hard this has been for you financially and how hard you work. I hope that you will accept my apologies for my thoughtless and rude statement.

2catsmom

March 18th, 2012, 2:36 pm #10

after not being able to get on the internet most of the day so I guess I felt rushed. I should have put a winky face....

I wasn't offended at all. It's a good question- who buys 25 Kgs of onions? I have always bought those bags, but this month is the first time I've ever been able to get them here.

In case anyone is wondering I keep them in the cool basement and when they start to go soft I peel, chop and freeze all the ones that are left.