Anyone else have frugal fatigue?

Anyone else have frugal fatigue?

May 10th, 2012, 2:35 pm #1

It has been raining or overcast here for about 2 weeks. I'm committed to not using my dryer so I haven't done laundry in a while. Boy has it piled up! The sun is shining this morning so I have a load going but...it will take days to get a handle on the laundry. I'm feeling quite overwhelmed with my attempts to keep from tapping our savings. I've been doing some extreme couponing, staying in to conserve gas, not eating out at all, looking through my gift closet for birthday and graduation gifts (3 nieces and 1 nephew graduating this month!), and trying to conserve/stretch everything. I know we are lucky to have savings but I feel if I start using that money it could be a slippery slope and I could start relying on it. Anyone else experiencing frugal fatique?

May 10th, 2012, 2:53 pm #2

It is partly related to my husband getting a job so now we have a little bit of money. Also we work opposite shifts so we are making a big effort to spent 'quality time' together. That means sex and going to movies and out to supper. Of course a person CAN have quality time at home for free (that is the sex...) but there ARE three other people in the house and it isn't as easy to make something special and watch a tv show like it was when they were little with an 8pm bedtime.

It's partly hormonal. I have noticed some hormonal/ menopausal kind of things going on. I buy a Frixion pen... and lose a Frixion pen... :-/ I buy a book... and loose a book. I find I don't want to wait and take a chance that I can get it at the library. So often I really want to read a book, can't get it and when I get back to Costco there are no more. It's not the end of the world, of course, but I find myself unwilling to give up those chances as much now that dh is working. Last week I bought Under the Stairshttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Below-Stairs-Be ... 0330535382 and the sequel Climbing the stairs. It was SO good.

I think we are going to have to pull it back in a little bit, but at the same time we are saving a lot. REALLY a lot for us.

But yeah. I've got some debt fatigue and frugal fatigue, too.

May 10th, 2012, 3:01 pm #3

It has been raining or overcast here for about 2 weeks. I'm committed to not using my dryer so I haven't done laundry in a while. Boy has it piled up! The sun is shining this morning so I have a load going but...it will take days to get a handle on the laundry. I'm feeling quite overwhelmed with my attempts to keep from tapping our savings. I've been doing some extreme couponing, staying in to conserve gas, not eating out at all, looking through my gift closet for birthday and graduation gifts (3 nieces and 1 nephew graduating this month!), and trying to conserve/stretch everything. I know we are lucky to have savings but I feel if I start using that money it could be a slippery slope and I could start relying on it. Anyone else experiencing frugal fatique?
that's why we have an emergency fund. Two weeks without doing laundry would do me in even without the financial aspect. We don't have enough clothes or linens to go two weeks, plus the burden of catching up on the laundry and dealing with overflowing hampers. When we came up on a budget buster situation before we had an emergency fund, we could often (not always) find another area to cut. In something like your case when it rained so much we couldn't get out, the gas savings offset the cost of electricity.

I think you do what it takes to keep your house running and your sanity. Now if you don't have a dryer, hanging wet clothes all over the house is another option, and one that also drove me nuts. In fact, I'm surprised dh didn't divorce me during those times, but we were too broke for that I guess.

There were times when we were climbing out of debt that I didn't think I could take one more day of doing without. It didn't help that dh didn't share the depth of my determination to get out of debt and he was continuing to eat out when I was home eating PB&J sandwiches. But scraping the bottom frugality is very wearing. It's worth it, but very wearing.

We still don't have a lot of luxuries, like cable tv, that most of our friends have, but being frugal is much, much easier when you can pay the bills without worrying about having enough money.

------
The road to success is always under construction.
Last edited by TxNet on May 10th, 2012, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 10th, 2012, 3:03 pm #4

Granted, it's just me, so there's not as many ... Most of my sutff, I throw in the dryer for a few mintues to knock the wrinkles down, and I then hang them on hangers to dry.
LisaCNC

May 10th, 2012, 3:08 pm #5

It has been too damp to dry clothes in the house. Once, during a damp week, I tried to dry stuff in the house. When my DH put on a sweatshirt he said it stunk - and it did because it took so long to dry!

May 10th, 2012, 3:15 pm #6

that's why we have an emergency fund. Two weeks without doing laundry would do me in even without the financial aspect. We don't have enough clothes or linens to go two weeks, plus the burden of catching up on the laundry and dealing with overflowing hampers. When we came up on a budget buster situation before we had an emergency fund, we could often (not always) find another area to cut. In something like your case when it rained so much we couldn't get out, the gas savings offset the cost of electricity.

I think you do what it takes to keep your house running and your sanity. Now if you don't have a dryer, hanging wet clothes all over the house is another option, and one that also drove me nuts. In fact, I'm surprised dh didn't divorce me during those times, but we were too broke for that I guess.

There were times when we were climbing out of debt that I didn't think I could take one more day of doing without. It didn't help that dh didn't share the depth of my determination to get out of debt and he was continuing to eat out when I was home eating PB&J sandwiches. But scraping the bottom frugality is very wearing. It's worth it, but very wearing.

We still don't have a lot of luxuries, like cable tv, that most of our friends have, but being frugal is much, much easier when you can pay the bills without worrying about having enough money.

------
The road to success is always under construction.
We have an emergency fund but that has been earmarked for ongoing expenses we can't meet with income. For example, we need to pay estimated taxes again next month. Guess it's not really an emergency fund it the money has already been allocated (LOL)!!! And, we have a lot of clothes - so we can go for a few weeks without doing laundry. But we are getting low in underwear! Luckily DH is also trying to keep costs down so were in it together.

May 10th, 2012, 3:18 pm #7

It is partly related to my husband getting a job so now we have a little bit of money. Also we work opposite shifts so we are making a big effort to spent 'quality time' together. That means sex and going to movies and out to supper. Of course a person CAN have quality time at home for free (that is the sex...) but there ARE three other people in the house and it isn't as easy to make something special and watch a tv show like it was when they were little with an 8pm bedtime.

It's partly hormonal. I have noticed some hormonal/ menopausal kind of things going on. I buy a Frixion pen... and lose a Frixion pen... :-/ I buy a book... and loose a book. I find I don't want to wait and take a chance that I can get it at the library. So often I really want to read a book, can't get it and when I get back to Costco there are no more. It's not the end of the world, of course, but I find myself unwilling to give up those chances as much now that dh is working. Last week I bought Under the Stairshttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Below-Stairs-Be ... 0330535382 and the sequel Climbing the stairs. It was SO good.

I think we are going to have to pull it back in a little bit, but at the same time we are saving a lot. REALLY a lot for us.

But yeah. I've got some debt fatigue and frugal fatigue, too.
We have a lot of debt to clear that, hopefully, will be gone by the end of next year. Then we can start saving again - I can't wait until we have a little extra money again! So great to hear that you can treat yourself to a few things and still save - that's wonderful!

May 10th, 2012, 3:24 pm #8

We have an emergency fund but that has been earmarked for ongoing expenses we can't meet with income. For example, we need to pay estimated taxes again next month. Guess it's not really an emergency fund it the money has already been allocated (LOL)!!! And, we have a lot of clothes - so we can go for a few weeks without doing laundry. But we are getting low in underwear! Luckily DH is also trying to keep costs down so were in it together.
I use the dryer and hang every other load outdoors. I can get caught up pretty fast this way. In fact, you don't even have to get to the bottom of the laundry--you can do enough just to get you ahead. 5-6 loads, half of them dried in the dryer, can change your life, LOL. Skip changing your sheets this week if doing so will help with laundry. NOBODY WILL NOTICE. Hang up towels to re-use. NOBODY WILL NOTICE. Yes, it costs a little more to do a few dryer loads, but as Tnetter implies, sanity is worth something! Also, when the bill comes, if things are THAT tight (and they have been for me, but not for awhile), I just find somewhere else to cut. (Usually groceries; I eat out of the bottom of the freezer and the back of the pantry for awhile--you will be surprised what is there).
Last edited by MaxineS on May 10th, 2012, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 10th, 2012, 4:36 pm #9

I have a mountain of white laundry and I might have to resort to using the dryer. I am really trying to keep our gas/electric monthly budgeted bill from going up in December. But, you're right - sometimes sanity is worth a few extra dollars!

May 10th, 2012, 7:20 pm #10

Granted, it's just me, so there's not as many ... Most of my sutff, I throw in the dryer for a few mintues to knock the wrinkles down, and I then hang them on hangers to dry.
I fluff in the dryer for a few minutes and then hang Dh's clothes and my clothes on hangers and put them on over-the-door hooks. I put the kids' clothes on drying racks. This works for me because we are in dry Kansas, and it's a bonus to add a little humidity to our air. Also, there is no way I could hang clothes outside due to my allergies!