Any more underlying problems that are keeping you down?

Any more underlying problems that are keeping you down?

June 4th, 2012, 3:07 pm #1

A few weeks ago I posted about living in a messy house with no clean laundry. I ID'd the underlying problem as a terminally messy closet--which seemed ridiculous, since it doesn't show. But I had no place to put things. Dirty laundry was all over the floor and clean laundry was stacked all over my bedroom. I did 20 minutes of PUPA and it has made a huge difference, at least with the dirty and clean laundry.

Now I have ID'd another underlying problem. It's my utility room. Again, it seems to make no sense to fix it first, since the whole house is a mess, but I can see how it is also screwing up the laundry, mending, etc. So, today I'm attacking the laundry room...and I'm going to do the 5 minute thing on the rooms that show.

I have a sewing table in the utility room. There is always stuff thrown all over it--odd socks, clothing that needs extra attention, mending, etc. And none of it gets done. This morning I figured out that two baskets on a shelf (and I have shelves!!) would help a lot--one for socks and laundry that needs help, and one for mending. So, I'm going to fix that first thing. For one thing, it will give me a place to put all the stuff I clean off the sewing table.

So...what underlying problems do you have that need fixing?

June 4th, 2012, 3:22 pm #2

I am working on finishing up projects that have been lying around in progress. I converted a pair of pants into capris that have been sitting in my dining room for over a month. I finished painting some picture frames and will rehang them today. They have been piled on my buffet in the living room for a month. Projects left to finish include valance and shades for the living room, convert capris into shorts, finish painting kitchen table and chairs. I have vowed not to start any new projects until these are done.

June 4th, 2012, 4:05 pm #3

and I've managed to avoid doing anything at all for the intervening months. (sigh).
I am today cleaning my desk and office space, I've sorted and put away laundry and packed the stuff to go to the cottage in one laundry basket instead of in three separate spots, I have the freezer inventory done, menus made for the week/weekend, and a list of errands to do later today outside the house.
I need to make a list of all the stuff room by room that needs attending and then just do one room at a time.

And my bedroom closet still needs a major clean out!

June 4th, 2012, 4:23 pm #4

A few weeks ago I posted about living in a messy house with no clean laundry. I ID'd the underlying problem as a terminally messy closet--which seemed ridiculous, since it doesn't show. But I had no place to put things. Dirty laundry was all over the floor and clean laundry was stacked all over my bedroom. I did 20 minutes of PUPA and it has made a huge difference, at least with the dirty and clean laundry.

Now I have ID'd another underlying problem. It's my utility room. Again, it seems to make no sense to fix it first, since the whole house is a mess, but I can see how it is also screwing up the laundry, mending, etc. So, today I'm attacking the laundry room...and I'm going to do the 5 minute thing on the rooms that show.

I have a sewing table in the utility room. There is always stuff thrown all over it--odd socks, clothing that needs extra attention, mending, etc. And none of it gets done. This morning I figured out that two baskets on a shelf (and I have shelves!!) would help a lot--one for socks and laundry that needs help, and one for mending. So, I'm going to fix that first thing. For one thing, it will give me a place to put all the stuff I clean off the sewing table.

is still a problem- part of the greater problem of my bedroom. I'm trying to come up with a good plan for what this closet should be and how it would work better then it does. I know it needs more shelving and somehow the by-fold door is not working for me. I might just take that off and put up a curtain and see how it goes.

June 4th, 2012, 4:24 pm #5

and I've managed to avoid doing anything at all for the intervening months. (sigh).
I am today cleaning my desk and office space, I've sorted and put away laundry and packed the stuff to go to the cottage in one laundry basket instead of in three separate spots, I have the freezer inventory done, menus made for the week/weekend, and a list of errands to do later today outside the house.
I need to make a list of all the stuff room by room that needs attending and then just do one room at a time.

And my bedroom closet still needs a major clean out!
And how far is it from where you live?

June 4th, 2012, 4:36 pm #6

weekends mostly for now and then longer periods toward the end of June. we stay up for a week or so at a time and one or the other of us comes off island for a day or two at a time to do laundry, grocery shop and go to the library before returning. It's only about an hour from home so not too long a drive or ferry ride.

June 4th, 2012, 5:12 pm #7

That's about the situation we are in, except that we don't have to (get to) take a ferry! Dorothy, the town librarian, just called to say my inter-library loan book is in, so now I probably have to make a special trip down there. Not frugal! Not simple! But she got this book for me from a library in eastern Washington, and it's a lot more trouble than in-network.

June 7th, 2012, 3:00 pm #8

That room has been a bugger, probably because I'm terrified of it! So, I've broken it up into smaller pieces, and I'm just about done.

Yesterday I reorganized the laundry side. I bought three 17 gallon semi-clear plastic boxes to use for "laundry--needs attention," "mending" and "rags." They fit the shelves perfectly, and I like them so much I'm going to buy two more today for my fabric stash (much smaller than it used to be).

This morning, when I couldn't sleep, I organized my sewing notions into 6 plastic shoeboxes. I'm going to get another shoebox for interfacing. I don't sew enough to use it often, but I hate having to paw through the fabric to find it when I need it.

Today it will take me about 15 more minutes to stuff the fabric into plastic boxes and reorganize the stuff, which is on a long top shelf. Then it's dust and vacuum and screw in a hook to hold the dryer brush, and I'm done! The woman who was supposed to come and clean house yesterday didn't make it, but I'll leave the mopping to her.

I wanna sew! Unfortunately, I need to do laundry worse--much worse--and now I am out of excuses.

June 7th, 2012, 3:15 pm #9

>

Digestion...

Depression (mild, but noticeable...)

Die-off....

I knew I could get to three D's without trying!

DD #2 and I started a sugar free diet this week and I've been insane. INSANE. There was a cookie on the fridge that I didn't even really want, but I was lusting for it every time I went into the kitchen. Finally I told DS that someone needed to eat that cookie. Later I went into the kitchen and the cookie was GONE!

Instantly I had all these emotions at once - RAGE, despair, shock. I told myself it was okay because I didn't really want it, but I replied (in a very dramatic way) but now I'll NEVER have it! =8,-o

I did organize all my embroidery floss and trims yesterday. That was a barrier to completing this stupid crazy quilting class I'm taking.

June 7th, 2012, 3:44 pm #10

Does this count (unwanted company). My husband's sister will be coming for her annual vacation from July thru October. She is bringing her 40 year old son and his 57 year old friend along with a brother. The family house holds two (owned by 4 siblings). This is where the brother/sister usually stay. So ...where to house the son and the 57 year old female for two weeks??? SIL just expects that we will pick up the slack. I am not happy and it is a underlying and an overlying problem. In fact the SIL is the underlying part of this whole scenario. She is here every year and should know the scene and make preparations for her guests.