America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right

America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right

March 6th, 2012, 6:30 pm #1

I'm reading this book from the library now. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.americascheapestfamily.com/

I've just started this book so I can't really say much about it yet though I did have a thought about it and other books of this kind. I'm always interested in frugal/simple living books so usually take a look when I see one. But most of them talk about either stuff I already do/know or how to get out of debt, which I don't need. The getting out of debt made me think if most of these books get to their intended audience or if they are mostly read by people interested in this subject.

Anyway thought I would pass this on in case anyone else is interested.

March 6th, 2012, 9:42 pm #2

I actually skimmed the entire thing while in the library, it was so much rehash of stuff we've long since covered here that I didn't have to "read" it. Nothing new under the sun.

March 6th, 2012, 9:51 pm #3

...is encouragement. You are right--there's nothing new under the sun. But if a book or movie or something on the internet encourages you to stay the course, then it is worth the effort. For me, reading a book on organization always makes me want to get up and clean house!!

March 7th, 2012, 1:18 am #4

Seeing those totally clean & decluttered rooms makes me want to get up and start cleaning. Of course watching The Hoarders makes me want to get out the trash can and start tossing, without feeling like I should go buy things to make my house look like a magazine. Maybe I should stick to The Hoarders. lol

------
The road to success is always under construction.

March 8th, 2012, 10:29 pm #5

I've just started this book so I can't really say much about it yet though I did have a thought about it and other books of this kind. I'm always interested in frugal/simple living books so usually take a look when I see one. But most of them talk about either stuff I already do/know or how to get out of debt, which I don't need. The getting out of debt made me think if most of these books get to their intended audience or if they are mostly read by people interested in this subject.

are you finding anything "new" in this? I took that book out of the library a while ago and don't think there was anything really new to me.

March 12th, 2012, 8:01 pm #6

but reading these types of books help keep me on track. I've been reading a few lately for some reason.

One thing it did remind me of is that knowledge is not only power but it saves you money.

Frugal people do a lot of things for their self, from the simple like cooking to the big like building a home. Some of these might not save too much but we do usually get what we want. Also knowing how something works or is done helps us when hiring out work. I might not know all the ins and outs of something but I usually know enough to get what needs doing at a price I think is fair.

One kind of fun thing is, I checked this book out as an e-book from my library. Its very simple to do and is an underused service in my area. I need to take a good look around the site and see what else they have available.

March 13th, 2012, 2:42 pm #7

to figure out what I don't like about it and Living on a Dime, the simple dollar, etc. etc. Not to pick on those particularly, but I'm heavily medicated and that is all that come to mind. Pioneer woman, hillbilly housewife... Flylady.

They are all trying to sell me something. Not that it is bad to sell things. I'm not sure if I can explain it. Maybe everything they say feels like a commercial (whether they mean it to or not.)

The cheapest family website is pretty low budget (predictably?!!) so there is a lot of stuff popping up and in between posts, etc. and I find that annoying. I'm pretty sure I won't ever go back because of that. I did read through a lot of things, though, and if someone was looking for ideas and could wade through the ads it might be a good place to go.

I've seen them on TV, but haven't read their book. I know their kids took short, cold (cool?) showers. I can't remember where I saw them... Dr Phil, I think? And he told them that they shouldn't tell people that because they would get ignored as too extreme. So I don't know how much is in the book.

They need to write the extreme frugality book... but then none of us would buy it only get it from the library... ;-P

March 13th, 2012, 3:50 pm #8

I've thought about that the ultimate guide to frugality - a book of all the things my mother did to stretch that penny into hair thin copper wire....

The first line would be DON'T BUY THIS BOOK! GET IT AT THE LIBRARY OR BORROW IT FROM THE NUMBSKULL NEXT DOOR THAT DID BUY IT.

um, why'm I writing a book that i'll telling people not to buy?? seems a wasted effort! LOL!

March 13th, 2012, 8:15 pm #9

to figure out what I don't like about it and Living on a Dime, the simple dollar, etc. etc. Not to pick on those particularly, but I'm heavily medicated and that is all that come to mind. Pioneer woman, hillbilly housewife... Flylady.

They are all trying to sell me something. Not that it is bad to sell things. I'm not sure if I can explain it. Maybe everything they say feels like a commercial (whether they mean it to or not.)

The cheapest family website is pretty low budget (predictably?!!) so there is a lot of stuff popping up and in between posts, etc. and I find that annoying. I'm pretty sure I won't ever go back because of that. I did read through a lot of things, though, and if someone was looking for ideas and could wade through the ads it might be a good place to go.

I've seen them on TV, but haven't read their book. I know their kids took short, cold (cool?) showers. I can't remember where I saw them... Dr Phil, I think? And he told them that they shouldn't tell people that because they would get ignored as too extreme. So I don't know how much is in the book.

They need to write the extreme frugality book... but then none of us would buy it only get it from the library... ;-P
Unless I took a shower with my kids, I don't think there's any way I could control their shower temperatures. Dh used to turn the knob off at the hot water heater when dd#2 had been in a long time. That got her out.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

March 13th, 2012, 8:32 pm #10

I've thought about that the ultimate guide to frugality - a book of all the things my mother did to stretch that penny into hair thin copper wire....

The first line would be DON'T BUY THIS BOOK! GET IT AT THE LIBRARY OR BORROW IT FROM THE NUMBSKULL NEXT DOOR THAT DID BUY IT.

um, why'm I writing a book that i'll telling people not to buy?? seems a wasted effort! LOL!
...either do a daily thread with Tips from Mom, or just write a long post about them. We all want to know how to stretch a penny into a thin copper thread.... BTW, do you do any of the same stuff, or did you reject the old ways?
Last edited by MaxineS on March 13th, 2012, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.