Am I the only one who is living in a disaster zone?

Am I the only one who is living in a disaster zone?

December 13th, 2010, 9:51 pm #1

Doesn't someone want to encourage me to clean for 15 mintues? Or clean with me for 15 minutes since they can't set a good example?

December 13th, 2010, 10:05 pm #2

My house is a disaster zone after having a cozy winter weekend inside. 15 minutes in the kitchen right now. Go!

December 14th, 2010, 2:35 am #3

then made supper. I've sent one teen boy to find another teen boy and they can clean it together. Life is so much easier when I come home to a clean kitchen in the morning!

December 14th, 2010, 3:08 am #4

Doesn't someone want to encourage me to clean for 15 mintues? Or clean with me for 15 minutes since they can't set a good example?
The computer room is always a mess, and my dining table often has a project on half of it (right now it's Christmas cards!). I need to organize the computer room and wish I had a place to spread my projects out, but I'd need a huge desk (don't have one, don't have room for one).

December 14th, 2010, 4:02 pm #5

my mother's coming to spend the NIGHT xmas eve! so we cleaned up the bedroom (yes there was just a path, and you had to step over stuff to get to dh's closet.) i took off work yesterday to vac under the bed. I think there was enough fur to make another cat.

DH did the sunroom, also just a path from the door to the bathroom and the deck. shoved it all into the attic. so now there's room for my sister to sleep.

I took off a day last week to do my sons' room. there was not a bit of floor space in there. (and MY clothes closet is in their room!)

the upstairs hallway was piled high for 6 months with stuff waiting to go to the attic. done.

the foyer is still just a path from the front door to the play room.

the playroom... omg - DH spent 8 hours sunday - dumping all bins and SORTING all toys. i cleaned up various cat yuck areas. and the 11 x11 room actually has amost 9x9 worth of floor space now!! what a difference!

the dining room table has so many xmas decorations on it we can't pile our usual crap on it, same thing with the "bar" in the kitchen. There is a huge pile on the kitchen counter waiting to go to the garage. all flat surfaces in the kitchen are covered. there are piles on the floor of the living room and the edges of the kitchen, and both sides of the stairs.

but 4 rooms are cleared out and it really motivates us to get the rest done quickly!

My daughter's room will be last. we corraled the pile into large storage things - so instead of filling the entire floor surface - it's just a higher pile. I just don't know where to start in there.

December 14th, 2010, 4:09 pm #6

You really can start cleaning a mess anywhere. I usually start at the door and clean in one direction around the perimeter, ending with the center of the room. In my bedroom, I always make the bed first and then use it as a staging area. If the room is reasonably orderly except for a literal pile of crap that needs put away, start at the first item you see and work through the pile, item by item. If the bed is made or there is a reasonable amount of floor space, start sub-piles for stuff that needs to go to other rooms. When you are done, put away each sub-pile, room by room.

December 14th, 2010, 4:12 pm #7

my mother's coming to spend the NIGHT xmas eve! so we cleaned up the bedroom (yes there was just a path, and you had to step over stuff to get to dh's closet.) i took off work yesterday to vac under the bed. I think there was enough fur to make another cat.

DH did the sunroom, also just a path from the door to the bathroom and the deck. shoved it all into the attic. so now there's room for my sister to sleep.

I took off a day last week to do my sons' room. there was not a bit of floor space in there. (and MY clothes closet is in their room!)

the upstairs hallway was piled high for 6 months with stuff waiting to go to the attic. done.

the playroom... omg - DH spent 8 hours sunday - dumping all bins and SORTING all toys. i cleaned up various cat yuck areas. and the 11 x11 room actually has amost 9x9 worth of floor space now!! what a difference!

the dining room table has so many xmas decorations on it we can't pile our usual crap on it, same thing with the "bar" in the kitchen. There is a huge pile on the kitchen counter waiting to go to the garage. all flat surfaces in the kitchen are covered. there are piles on the floor of the living room and the edges of the kitchen, and both sides of the stairs.

but 4 rooms are cleared out and it really motivates us to get the rest done quickly!

My daughter's room will be last. we corraled the pile into large storage things - so instead of filling the entire floor surface - it's just a higher pile. I just don't know where to start in there.
Maybe all that stuff shoved into the attic will help insulate the house! lol

You know what they say about the longest journey starting with a single step. At least you've made a good start on it all.

December 14th, 2010, 4:17 pm #8

You really can start cleaning a mess anywhere. I usually start at the door and clean in one direction around the perimeter, ending with the center of the room. In my bedroom, I always make the bed first and then use it as a staging area. If the room is reasonably orderly except for a literal pile of crap that needs put away, start at the first item you see and work through the pile, item by item. If the bed is made or there is a reasonable amount of floor space, start sub-piles for stuff that needs to go to other rooms. When you are done, put away each sub-pile, room by room.
the problem in her room has become too much everything and not enough places.

When i DO get to it - the first step will be to empty out the closet. i was shoving the closet full for two years, hence the growing pile in the middle of the room.

It's so unfair to her to have to live like that!

December 14th, 2010, 11:43 pm #9

When the house sold in November, I got tons of stuff dumped on me here in my little apartment. Thankfully I do have a garage, but the problem is a LOT fo the stuff int he garage is my stbX's stuff... I think Thursday night when he drops the kids off I might just have a bunch of his stuff piled out in front of the garage... if he doesn't take it... well Thursday night happens to be trash night.... A lot of the stuff is good stuff that I want to keep. Some is furniture to be refinished (too cold out now to spray paint stuff.... Last winter I was able to park my car in my garage here. This winter I am thinking that is very doubtful. I spent a bit of time out there today searching for my snow tires. I need to get them put onto my van.

I'm tired of living like this. I really don't want to part with a lot of this stuff but jsut have very little storage space here. knowing this aprtment is a temporary situation makes it hard to get rid of "good stuff".

December 15th, 2010, 12:46 am #10

I can only laugh at this because it's probably true at our house, too. Since bringing DS home in July, our cat has spent more time underneath our bed. Wonder how much fur lurks there...