A question about colds

A question about colds

February 11th, 2012, 11:40 pm #1

Does anyone know how long the incubation period is of the cold virus? How long between being exposed and actually feeling sick?

I feel like I am coming down with a cold. I'm really fighting it and hope it goes away without making me very sick. This would only be my 4th cold in the last 14 years, so I guess I can't complain. Just wondering if I could have picked it up on the airplane--but that was only yesterday.

February 11th, 2012, 11:52 pm #2

but I have heard you can be symptomatic in as little as 24 hours. But what do I know?

February 12th, 2012, 2:36 am #3

Does anyone know how long the incubation period is of the cold virus? How long between being exposed and actually feeling sick?

I feel like I am coming down with a cold. I'm really fighting it and hope it goes away without making me very sick. This would only be my 4th cold in the last 14 years, so I guess I can't complain. Just wondering if I could have picked it up on the airplane--but that was only yesterday.
The sickest I've ever been in my life was after I'd flown from Maryland to California in the winter. Lots and lots of coughing and sneezing on the plane. 2 days later I had a horrible URI that was treated with antibiotics and cough syrup with codeine. If you develop a very dry and constant cough and feel achy it might be wise to see your doctor.

February 12th, 2012, 1:59 pm #4

Listen to your body! Push fluids that aren't caffeinated, take high doses of vitamin C, rest, make a garlic-chicken broth (add other veggies/ingredients as desired) and sip this throughout the day. Should any "discharge" for lack of a polite word be anything but white/clear-get meds ASAP. Lots of nasty URI floating around here. We really haven't had a cold blast of Winter yet here to kill everything off.

Feel better, Max!

February 13th, 2012, 2:15 pm #5

it works on a molecular level to help clear Virus molecules from your body. Some people say "it doesn't work - i still got sick" to which the response is "but not as sick as you could've gotten!!"

February 13th, 2012, 3:31 pm #6

I think it was some type of upper respiratory infection, and it's a lot better now. Which was much faster than a cold would be. However, my question wasn't so much about what to do about it (I went to bed, LOL) as to how long between exposure and symptoms. Any of our nurses know?

I learned in Biol 100 that every cold is a different virus, and once you have had a particular virus, you're immune if it comes around again. I figure the reason I get so few colds now is that I had all of the cold viruses when I was a kid! It sure seemed that way at the time.

February 13th, 2012, 3:57 pm #7

on the severity of the virus, on the severity of the exposure on your immunity that day.

I know i've gotton sick the day after being sneezed on, and i know it's taken up to 4-5 days, but really it's so hard to tell WHERE you picked something up, maybe the 5 day ones weren't even from the kid on monday but from a shopping cart on Thursday kwim?