A happy side effect of jewelry organization

A happy side effect of jewelry organization

April 13th, 2011, 2:38 am #1

(and it does look better now than the picture I posted).

My mother was very close to her grandmother, who died in 1945 when my mother was 12. She had several pieces of her jewelry, one of which was a stick pin given to her by her husband (may have been gotten in Wales but not sure) that had what my mother thought were three rubies but what my jeweler told me were actually garnets. So it is probably not worth much of anything but it was always THE family heirloom. For a long time my mother thought she would give me and my two brothers one stone each (thinking they were rubies) but decided they wouldn't care and she wanted me to have it. So when I inherited her jewelry I guarded the old pieces with great care, especially that stick pin.

Then one day I could not find the stick pin. I cannot tell you how high and low I looked. I was truly desperate and searched everywhere. When we moved from that house seven years ago I asked the owner if she came across it to please let me know. I never thought I'd see it again. So when I was reorganizing the jewelry I had a bunch of little boxes that my mother had jewelry in. One of them is this brown box that says Farrington on the bottom and has a plastic piece attached to the lid on the inside. Not sure what the plastic piece is about - has holes or slots underneath it. It didn't have anything in it for a long time. I was putting away all these empty jewelry boxes and noticed that I heard something when I moved it. I opened it and there was the stick pin just laying there, in the front section of the bottom of the box. I about fell over. I called everybody in the family.

Then when my husband got home tonight I opened the box to show him and the stick pin was gone. I was terrified, searching everywhere. Finally I picked up the box and shook it for some reason and heard it. The stick pin was behind that piece of plastic on the top. I took it out to show my husband, put it back in, shut the box (a hinged one that snaps shut) and a minute later opened it and it was gone. Just from shutting it and opening it it had tucked that stick pin behind the piece of plastic. Now I finally know why I could not find it all these years. I can't tell you how many times I have almost thrown that box out since I didn't have a use for it.

The stick pin is now safely tucked away and my mother can quit fuming from beyond about me losing it...
Last edited by BeverlySue on April 13th, 2011, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2011, 2:51 am #2

I inherited my grandmother's engagement ring. It has an amethyst, flanked by two opals and two pearls. I showed it to my dd last summer and she told me she would like to wear it at her wedding, so when they were here at Christmas, I was going to give it to her so she could get it resized. I can't find it anywhere. I am so afraid it is in a little ring box that I got rid of when I bought a jewelry organizer last fall.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

April 13th, 2011, 2:43 pm #3

My mother was very close to her grandmother, who died in 1945 when my mother was 12. She had several pieces of her jewelry, one of which was a stick pin given to her by her husband (may have been gotten in Wales but not sure) that had what my mother thought were three rubies but what my jeweler told me were actually garnets. So it is probably not worth much of anything but it was always THE family heirloom. For a long time my mother thought she would give me and my two brothers one stone each (thinking they were rubies) but decided they wouldn't care and she wanted me to have it. So when I inherited her jewelry I guarded the old pieces with great care, especially that stick pin.

Then one day I could not find the stick pin. I cannot tell you how high and low I looked. I was truly desperate and searched everywhere. When we moved from that house seven years ago I asked the owner if she came across it to please let me know. I never thought I'd see it again. So when I was reorganizing the jewelry I had a bunch of little boxes that my mother had jewelry in. One of them is this brown box that says Farrington on the bottom and has a plastic piece attached to the lid on the inside. Not sure what the plastic piece is about - has holes or slots underneath it. It didn't have anything in it for a long time. I was putting away all these empty jewelry boxes and noticed that I heard something when I moved it. I opened it and there was the stick pin just laying there, in the front section of the bottom of the box. I about fell over. I called everybody in the family.

Then when my husband got home tonight I opened the box to show him and the stick pin was gone. I was terrified, searching everywhere. Finally I picked up the box and shook it for some reason and heard it. The stick pin was behind that piece of plastic on the top. I took it out to show my husband, put it back in, shut the box (a hinged one that snaps shut) and a minute later opened it and it was gone. Just from shutting it and opening it it had tucked that stick pin behind the piece of plastic. Now I finally know why I could not find it all these years. I can't tell you how many times I have almost thrown that box out since I didn't have a use for it.

The stick pin is now safely tucked away and my mother can quit fuming from beyond about me losing it...
Sound slike that coin magic trcik thing where you put the coin in. slide the placticl piece over it and back and boom, the coin magically dissapears. If I were you, I'd throw that sucker away or at least take out the plastic part LOL.

Glad you found it!!!
LisaCNC

April 14th, 2011, 1:32 am #4

So it really works.

April 14th, 2011, 2:21 pm #5

What is the plastic piece all about? It has slits in between the holes at the bottom so evidently you are supposed to slide something in there, but what?

April 14th, 2011, 2:58 pm #6

The knives go on the top part.
Forks and spoons go in the bottom.

April 14th, 2011, 3:07 pm #7

The box is 7" x 4".

April 14th, 2011, 4:01 pm #8

i so needed a good laugh today.

it might have been part of a child's tea set with "munchkin" silverware. I had a fabulous OLD china tea set as a child. i imagine it might have had real silverware with it at one point.

April 14th, 2011, 4:10 pm #9

NOTHING went into the trash growing up without hearing my mom say that.

I rip open envelopes all the way to flat paper to make sure nothing's stuck in them. i break down boxes and cut open bags. small jewelery boxes like that? i tear out the innards and dismember them, and even sometimes peel off the outer lining for good measure.

DH noted it when we first moved in together and thought it was dumb. till the year it cost him $$$ for a new car registration sticker that was hiding in an envelope he tossed. Now he dismembers trash before chucking it too!

April 14th, 2011, 4:53 pm #10

I really check things from my mother, even taking her framed pictures apart, since she had Alzheimer's. She wasn't too bad about hiding things but I know other people who have found lots of money underneath the ironing board cover, stuck in picture frames, tucked in books. My mother tried to rally her senses at one point and said "I won't live much longer. You have to find the box. I want you and your brother to have a better life." I tried to quiz about the box. Is it in the house? Yes? Where? No answer. In your closet? Yes. Is it in the bank in a safety deposit box? Yes - I thought that would be best. I never found "the box." They had 13 acres and if there was a physical box it could have been buried in the woods. We looked up the chimney and everywhere else but never found anything.

Oh, and Farrington was evidently a big maker of jewelry boxes so I am thinking it must be something along that line.
Last edited by BeverlySue on April 14th, 2011, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.