Your ideal era?

Your ideal era?

Nat

August 27th, 2010, 12:26 am #1

In the discussion below where we wound up talking about plumbing, I wonder if you had a time machine- when would you set it to go back (or forward) to live? I would say the 1950s, although I must admit that I may be biased since that was the time of my youth. Had I grown up in another time would I have said that?

I think I would have done ok anytime after 1910- when in the cities at least there were most of the modern conveniences that make life comfortable. And I think the 1920s would have been a very interesting time to have live. I would go back there if I could skip the depression and WW-II and sailed peacefully into the 1950s & 60s which were a volatile but interesting time. But after that- I think things have been going downhill and other than the internet and some amazing technology we have now- its hard to think of much good since.

Is it not possible to live in a technically advanced 2010 world with old fashion 1910 values?

Any thoughts on this?

Brandon
Brandon

August 27th, 2010, 2:08 am #2

As I've said before, the internet and advanced medical technology alone would make me not want to live in any era but today.

Many decades would have been interesting. The rise of radio would probably make me enjoy the 1920s. The optimism, architecture, music and lifestyle of the 1950s has always interested me. I'm too young to remember the 1960s, but they are fascinating times for pop culture, although the Vietnam War, riots and politics would probably make me want to skip being anything other than a teenager during that time.

Would not care to have lived in the 1930s or 1940s. The 1980s and 1990s are too recent for me to want to repeat. I have mixed feelings about the 1970s. I remember them well but was only 14 when they ended. Again, the films, tv and music of that era is interesting, but the economic and political situation was horrible and I abhor the lifestyle of adults during that time.

Nat

August 27th, 2010, 3:03 am #3

I think we would have loved the 1920s Braden when radio was brand new and experimental and just about anybody could put on a radio station just by building a 10 watt transmitter and asking for a license. It was a time when technology was simple enough that you could build everything yourself- and not depend on multinational companies.

As for advance medical technology, I don't think it would be a factor for me so far since I've never had any medical problem that a visit to my local doc couldn't fix. But yes- I would miss the internet- no doubt about that. But not much else about today.

Since you seem to be a history buff- do you know about http://www.shorpy.com ?

Great place to study vintage cars, fashions and architecture.

I visit it nearly every day and post under the name "Zoreo". I've even submitted a couple of photos (old transmitters).

August 27th, 2010, 10:33 am #4

In the discussion below where we wound up talking about plumbing, I wonder if you had a time machine- when would you set it to go back (or forward) to live? I would say the 1950s, although I must admit that I may be biased since that was the time of my youth. Had I grown up in another time would I have said that?

I think I would have done ok anytime after 1910- when in the cities at least there were most of the modern conveniences that make life comfortable. And I think the 1920s would have been a very interesting time to have live. I would go back there if I could skip the depression and WW-II and sailed peacefully into the 1950s & 60s which were a volatile but interesting time. But after that- I think things have been going downhill and other than the internet and some amazing technology we have now- its hard to think of much good since.

Is it not possible to live in a technically advanced 2010 world with old fashion 1910 values?

Any thoughts on this?
What do you imagine old fashioned 1910 values were anyway? And whose values? That makes a difference.

But I suppose I could live in any era, provided I could pick who I was. I wouldn't want to be a serf, a slave, a peasant, and a host of other people. If you had servants to wait on you hand and foot, you don't need mod cons. Someone else was doing the work anyway.

We probably aren't as technically advanced as we think we are and people in the past weren't as technically backward as we might think. And for someone who lived 80 some years, which person are we talking about? The young person or the old person. But people have always been saying the same things. Things are going down. We'll never come back. And people have always complained about the immigrants. That's the last one in syndrome.

Events certainly shape our lives but mostly we live the same anyway. One of the scary things that occurs to me is how the eras we refer to in the past were so very brief, yet we sometimes speak of them as they had been permanent or something. All is fleeting. All is vanity.

Nat

August 27th, 2010, 1:35 pm #5

Well I'm talking about when people didn't bother to lock their doors because no one would go in someone's house or car that they weren't suppose to. Thats the way it was when I was a kid. I never carried a house key. I'd come home from school to a empty unlocked house and walk right in without giving it a thought. I never locked my car for years after I got one. Today I can't imagine doing things like this. I lock everything all the time as does everyone else I know. Burglar alarms are now standard features of new homes. This is how much things have changed just in my lifetime.

Cool beans boi
Cool beans boi

August 27th, 2010, 2:21 pm #6

Any thoughts on this?
1999. Internet was fresh, and kind of fun.
before George W. Jackass
Before Fox News Domintated the news
before the 9/11 crap.
We had a surplus
Cells phones were analog and sounded a lot better. and no texting crap.

People were anxiously awating the new millenium.

Good times

Nat

August 27th, 2010, 3:12 pm #7

"1999. Internet was fresh, and kind of fun."

Internet New? I'd been on the net since CompuServe in the mid-1980s. No HTTP then- everything was text- even photos were sent by ASCII test code. And people used real names- not "CB" handles and the collective IQ was well above the current moron level. You had to be reasonably intelligent just to get a damn modem to work.

"before George W. Jackass" = True
"Before Fox News Domintated the news" = True
"before the 9/11 crap." = True
"We had a surplus" = True
"Cells phones were analog and sounded a lot better. and no texting crap. = True

Gosh- and people thought things were "bad" back then!
I hate to think what it will be like when people will be calling now the "Good days"

"People were anxiously awaiting the new millennium."

Yes, as if the calendar would suddenly make a wonderful new world where everything was better.

August 27th, 2010, 3:37 pm #8

Well I'm talking about when people didn't bother to lock their doors because no one would go in someone's house or car that they weren't suppose to. Thats the way it was when I was a kid. I never carried a house key. I'd come home from school to a empty unlocked house and walk right in without giving it a thought. I never locked my car for years after I got one. Today I can't imagine doing things like this. I lock everything all the time as does everyone else I know. Burglar alarms are now standard features of new homes. This is how much things have changed just in my lifetime.
Where did you grow up and where do you live now? And you came home from school to an empty house? Where was your mom? I didn't think wives used to work back then.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

August 27th, 2010, 4:03 pm #9

"1999. Internet was fresh, and kind of fun."

Internet New? I'd been on the net since CompuServe in the mid-1980s. No HTTP then- everything was text- even photos were sent by ASCII test code. And people used real names- not "CB" handles and the collective IQ was well above the current moron level. You had to be reasonably intelligent just to get a damn modem to work.

"before George W. Jackass" = True
"Before Fox News Domintated the news" = True
"before the 9/11 crap." = True
"We had a surplus" = True
"Cells phones were analog and sounded a lot better. and no texting crap. = True

Gosh- and people thought things were "bad" back then!
I hate to think what it will be like when people will be calling now the "Good days"

"People were anxiously awaiting the new millennium."

Yes, as if the calendar would suddenly make a wonderful new world where everything was better.
I guess what I meant to say about the 1999 internet was that dial ups were going out and high speed coming in.

Boy, you are right, the new, easier, internet has made me a dummy LOL

Nat

August 27th, 2010, 5:24 pm #10

Yes, the internet is one of the few things that is better today. I just wish it had come along faster than it did. When I think of all the hours I spend on a phone, writing letters and in libraries to find information that is now at my fingertips it is just amazing. I just wish I had it 50 years ago. But, there is a downside even to this- because there use to be a lot more decorum and maturity on the net then now.