Nat

August 10th, 2010, 5:42 pm #21

Florida has no NDA-50s for two reasons- it wasn't a very populous state back when the broadcast band was being set up- and there are complications with international treaties with Caribbean countries that northern stations don't have.

Brandon
Brandon

August 11th, 2010, 12:20 am #22

I wonder if WFAN doesn't maintain the transmitter and ground system as well as they used to.

I believe 660 should on paper have the best coverage area of all the New York AMs.

I knew someone in Richmond, VA who used to listen to 660 in the daytime, but that was 30 years ago when they were WNBC. I've heard that in the past, all the New York clear channels used to sound very clear in the daytime on the North Carolina coast.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

August 11th, 2010, 1:33 am #23

660 may be great outside of NYC, but in the NY metro area, they stink. They have an annoying whistle in their broadcast, funny you should mention NC, WBT Charlotte sounds better than FAN!

I wonder why Chicago got four CC's while LA only got one.

Nat

August 11th, 2010, 1:58 am #24

I wonder if WFAN doesn't maintain the transmitter and ground system as well as they used to.

I believe 660 should on paper have the best coverage area of all the New York AMs.

I knew someone in Richmond, VA who used to listen to 660 in the daytime, but that was 30 years ago when they were WNBC. I've heard that in the past, all the New York clear channels used to sound very clear in the daytime on the North Carolina coast.
Well I don't know about WFAN but I can tell you a lot of AMs- especially in the smaller are just falling apart. Since they don't make much money now maintenance is an absolute minimum- the antenna fields aren't being mowed, the ground system- often several decades old is corroding away, if the station barely covers the local market it's good enough. And the program in many cases is nothing but a satellite feed. What money there is in radio now goes to FM.

Nat

August 11th, 2010, 2:11 am #25

660 may be great outside of NYC, but in the NY metro area, they stink. They have an annoying whistle in their broadcast, funny you should mention NC, WBT Charlotte sounds better than FAN!

I wonder why Chicago got four CC's while LA only got one.
A whistle? That usually means a heterodyne from another station but I don't know why that should be happening in NYC.

I suspect that LA only got one CC because in the 1920s when the broadcast band was designed Los Angeles wasn't that big- nothing like Chicago or NY. Politics played a factor too.

But old Earl Anthony was pretty lucky to get best CC there was. He started the station to promote his car dealership. A lot of early radio stations started that way- for some business to advertise itself.

Brandon
Brandon

August 11th, 2010, 2:39 am #26

Well I don't know about WFAN but I can tell you a lot of AMs- especially in the smaller are just falling apart. Since they don't make much money now maintenance is an absolute minimum- the antenna fields aren't being mowed, the ground system- often several decades old is corroding away, if the station barely covers the local market it's good enough. And the program in many cases is nothing but a satellite feed. What money there is in radio now goes to FM.
Now in many markets, the two mainstream formats that were still viable on AM, talk and sports, are starting to switch to FM.

I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of this decade, the only programming in most cities on AM will be religion and foreign language/ethnic.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

August 11th, 2010, 2:19 pm #27

I agree, most of the CC's are nothing but right wing syndicated stuff. WSM in Nashville seems like the only one that is still local and still with music. They still have a great country, local format. WFAN is so bad here in NYC, I sometimes catch WSM on my GE super-radio.

WeServeMillions
W S M

Nat

August 12th, 2010, 7:59 pm #28

Now in many markets, the two mainstream formats that were still viable on AM, talk and sports, are starting to switch to FM.

I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of this decade, the only programming in most cities on AM will be religion and foreign language/ethnic.
Most young people today don't even know AM exist.
In fact many teens never listen to radio at all- they got all they want on their iPod.

It's only a matter of time before there will be universal wireless internet everywhere and people will listen to audio streams on their smart-phones rather than radio.

Brandon
Brandon

August 13th, 2010, 1:45 am #29

I just hope we (radio stations) are still the ones providing the content of these audio streams.

Nat

August 13th, 2010, 6:05 am #30

Well every smart station is on the web now- just like newspapers.

You know the old saying- "if you can't beat them- join them".

NPR recently drop "Radio" from it's name- and are concentrating heavily on web downloads- so much they are pissing off some of their radio affiliates.