Proposed Ground Zero Mosque

Proposed Ground Zero Mosque

Bob
Bob

August 19th, 2010, 2:07 pm #1

At the risk of bringing up something that you might be tired of hearing about . . . I wonder what the viewpoints of other posters here might be.

My take: I think it is ludicrous for anyone to suggest that the objections to a mosque IN THAT LOCATION indicates Americans' hatred toward Islam, or a "war on Islam". Anyone could see that mosques exist all over America . . . that fact does fit with my definition of "hate". If the proposed mosque were built two miles away from Ground Zero, very few Americans would object to it. Muslims could have shown SENSITIVITY to the feelings of American citizens by offering to move the site once they saw opposition to it . . instead of insisting upon that location.

Nat

August 19th, 2010, 4:24 pm #2

I haven't commented about this because I'm conflicted myself on this. To me- something thats two blocks away isn't "at" ground-zero! On the other hand, knowing how strongly people- especially those in New York- feel about this it just seems to me that it would be just be better for everyone if it was built elsewhere.

Marv
Marv

August 22nd, 2010, 3:17 am #3

As I was surfing the TV the other day I come across the 700 club program and they were talking about that Mosque, and he was thinking with that one and the five or six more they are going to build, with total complex with schools etc, in key places in the U.S. they could get big enough following to gradual take over city councils and have their way way with their praying, foot bathe so on and so on with their way of live. Sounded convincing

Nat

August 22nd, 2010, 4:21 am #4

Ah yes, the 700 club with Pat Robertson, who predicted the world would end in 1982, that a tsunami would destroy America's east coast in 2006, that Hurricane Katrina was God's punishment for America's abortion policy and the Haiti earthquake was because Haiti's founders had a "pact to the Devil".

August 22nd, 2010, 12:07 pm #5

As I was surfing the TV the other day I come across the 700 club program and they were talking about that Mosque, and he was thinking with that one and the five or six more they are going to build, with total complex with schools etc, in key places in the U.S. they could get big enough following to gradual take over city councils and have their way way with their praying, foot bathe so on and so on with their way of live. Sounded convincing
IF ever there were a group of hate-mongers spewing radically tailored misinformation, it's these guys! I've met Pat Robertson - the guy is a crackpot.

The trick of all good propaganda is to make it sound "reasonable", "logical", and "sensible" - how do people think Hitler conned the German people into partnering with him? He didn't walk out and say "hey, we're gonna host a holocaust" - he systematically spewed misinformation, gave the people common enemies that all happened to be minorities (Jews, Gays, etc.) and then said "these people caused all the problems" - and the WAY he said it was pretty convincing - that's how he got elected; that's how he fomented World War II; and that's how he set up death camps for those who "didn't belong."

I am not personally in favor of the mosque, but not because I am anti-Islamic - I would be more open to an interfaith temple of some kind. However, it does make me shudder to know that people like the 700 Club agree with me, because I know how and why they will argue the point - and I could not disagree more. Muslims will hardly take over the U.S. - at least not in our lifetime and not without an actual war on our soil that they can win - has anyone looked at the breakdown from the last census? But they will instill FEAR in "God fearing Christians" and say that Satan himself is behind this (as he seems to be with everything they don't like) and they will talk about how Muslims themselves are the agents of Satan - and unfortunately, people will believe them because it will sound reasonable. The problem is, once you actually break apart both their facts and their logic you will find one error stacked upon another, a lot of information they "forgot" to include, and the cumulative result will be that their entire case falls apart pretty rapidly.

I despise people who use God and religion to foster hatred and misunderstanding between people whether they claim to be Christian, Muslim, or any other brand - if you truly believe in an all-knowing, seeing, omnipresent God who created ALL of us, and who is defined by an "incomprehensible Love" how could you possibly believe that (S)He seeks to inspire hatred and dischord among people? The first bit of propaganda the 700 Club sold was that they were Christians - but very little they say seems to reflect anything Jesus had to say.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

August 22nd, 2010, 9:54 pm #6

At the risk of bringing up something that you might be tired of hearing about . . . I wonder what the viewpoints of other posters here might be.

My take: I think it is ludicrous for anyone to suggest that the objections to a mosque IN THAT LOCATION indicates Americans' hatred toward Islam, or a "war on Islam". Anyone could see that mosques exist all over America . . . that fact does fit with my definition of "hate". If the proposed mosque were built two miles away from Ground Zero, very few Americans would object to it. Muslims could have shown SENSITIVITY to the feelings of American citizens by offering to move the site once they saw opposition to it . . instead of insisting upon that location.
"if the ground zero mosque were built two miles away, very few Americans would object.

Horse hockey. There are Mosque's being protested all over the land of religious freedom. As a New Yorker, I think it disgusting that many want to trample the constitution because "they just don' want the Mosque there" Not a good enough reason. Just because a radical Christian killed an abortion doctor in Kansas, that does not mean we should stop building Christian churches there, the same with a Mosque...actually a community center NEAR, not AT ground zero on private land.
Also, as usual Fox News skews the facts, while it is true that most New Yorkers oppose Park 51, a majority of Manhanttanites approve of it being there. Since it is going up in Manhattan, that says a lot. Also there is a Mosque 4 blocks from ground zero that has been there for 40 years, should we tear that one down?

I am sooooooooooo tired of the 9/11 families dictating every move near or at ground zero. This is why the new Freedom Tower is not even STARTED yet...because developers have to kiss the Ground zero families behinds.

As usual John Stewart is right on the money
http://unreasonablefaith.com/2010/08/13 ... ound-zero/

Nat

August 23rd, 2010, 2:32 am #7

I agree that it is unfair to blame Muslims in general for the actions are a few radicals who did 9/11 and other terrorist acts. On the other hand, I have concerns that even peaceful Muslims hold some very archaic and repressive ideas- especially in their treatment of women. I recall a story in the news a few months ago about a Muslim father who murdered his two daughters because they were becoming too "westernized". This kind of fanaticism is not something I want to see in this country regardless of what religion is behind it.

Brandon
Brandon

August 24th, 2010, 3:16 am #8

"if the ground zero mosque were built two miles away, very few Americans would object.

Horse hockey. There are Mosque's being protested all over the land of religious freedom. As a New Yorker, I think it disgusting that many want to trample the constitution because "they just don' want the Mosque there" Not a good enough reason. Just because a radical Christian killed an abortion doctor in Kansas, that does not mean we should stop building Christian churches there, the same with a Mosque...actually a community center NEAR, not AT ground zero on private land.
Also, as usual Fox News skews the facts, while it is true that most New Yorkers oppose Park 51, a majority of Manhanttanites approve of it being there. Since it is going up in Manhattan, that says a lot. Also there is a Mosque 4 blocks from ground zero that has been there for 40 years, should we tear that one down?

I am sooooooooooo tired of the 9/11 families dictating every move near or at ground zero. This is why the new Freedom Tower is not even STARTED yet...because developers have to kiss the Ground zero families behinds.

As usual John Stewart is right on the money
http://unreasonablefaith.com/2010/08/13 ... ound-zero/
"many want to trample the constitution because "they just don' want the Mosque there"

I've haven't heard anyone say this group doesn't have the constitutional right to build on that site. But I think if they are truly interested in tolerance and being good neighbors than they would build elsewhere. If they choose to build in that location, than so be it. But we also have the right to be critical over their lack of sensitivity to those who find this offensive.

'Just because a radical Christian killed an abortion doctor in Kansas, that does not mean we should stop building Christian churches there"

I would be against a pro life group from opening an office across the street from where Dr. Tiller was murdered in Wichita. Even if that pro life group made it clear that they abhorred violence and believed only in trying to make abortion against the law by legal means, I still think it would be best for them to open their office in another neighborhood.

Nat

August 24th, 2010, 1:20 pm #9

I heard on NPR this morning that Al Qaeda websites all over the world are trumpeting this Mosque opposition as "proof" that America is "anti-Islam" and that it is having a powerful effects persuading young and moderate Muslims over to the anti-America side!

I hadn't thought about this aspect before but of course it makes perfect sense that Al Qaeda would use this Mosque opposition as recruitment tool- it is a unintended consequence that these Mosque protesters better think about- they are actually helping Al Qaeda recruit new members!

Bob
Bob

August 26th, 2010, 2:08 am #10

The protests over the Ground Zero mosque won't have as much effect as the hatred for America that is and has been taught to the young in these countries. If someone asked me why America "hates" Islam, I would ask if having Mosques and Islamic centers in every part of our country constitutes "hate". Then, I would ask them why Muslims in numerous locations in this world persecute, attack and kill Christians. I would ask if their definition of "hatred" fits the Americans or the Muslims more . . and then wait for a deceitful answer.