politics

politics

May 9th, 2004, 10:32 pm #1

You all are starting to give me a headache! I've been reading this rant on politics, and I have to jump in here and say...

I am a conservative who happens to be a breast freedom activist!

Conservative! Republican! It's getting a smidge hard to come to the forum the past few days for the bashing that is going on.

Could we possibly remember we are family?

Jodi
Jodi

May 9th, 2004, 11:41 pm #2

You took the words right out of my mouth

Nat

May 9th, 2004, 11:50 pm #3

You all are starting to give me a headache! I've been reading this rant on politics, and I have to jump in here and say...

Conservative! Republican! It's getting a smidge hard to come to the forum the past few days for the bashing that is going on.

Yes Michaela, we are family, but should we ignore the fact that it is your fellow conservative Republicans who are doing the most to oppose women's breast freedom rights?

We say we want breast rights for women, but we vote for politicians who pass laws against it? How does this make sense?

May 9th, 2004, 11:52 pm #4

Nat, I agree, it is important, always! However, we all come from different backgrounds and political affiliations for various reasons. I cannot deny some of the reasons that I choose to be a C.R. but we all are in different places on the scale of left, right, and center. My concern is that if we get too jaggedy, and stickery with the way we speak about the political realities we all must face, we might lose someone who comes to this very forum wishing to find help about a breast health issue. She may come here and seeing all the politics might not think she is in the right place. It can get a little over board, don't you think?

May 9th, 2004, 11:53 pm #5

Nat, I agree, it is important, always! However, we all come from different backgrounds and political affiliations for various reasons. I cannot deny some of the reasons that I choose to be a C.R. but we all are in different places on the scale of left, right, and center. My concern is that if we get too jaggedy, and stickery with the way we speak about the political realities we all must face, we might lose someone who comes to this very forum wishing to find help about a breast health issue. She may come here and seeing all the politics might not think she is in the right place. It can get a little over board, don't you think?

May 9th, 2004, 11:53 pm #6

May 9th, 2004, 11:53 pm #7

May 9th, 2004, 11:55 pm #8

May 9th, 2004, 11:56 pm #9

May 10th, 2004, 12:18 am #10

Michaela, Jodi and Nat, Family (and everyone else!)

I had realised this afternoon that someone was going to blow the whistle sooner or later.

If we can try and bring this together. Everyone is entitled to their views, and to respect for their views, but they must follow the dictates of their own conscience.

I think what Pat was trying to tell us is that the issues central to this forum transcend party politics, indeed to make them partisan is probably to doom them.

Pat also suggested that these things are likely to be decided by those who value freedom of expression. I have said that our issues have probably suffered by being tagged to religious and political positions.

The next point is that seeking a solution through the election of a sympathetic politician is but one route for social change, and to pursue one single solution at the expense of all others is likely to fail. I have said that grassroots solutions and campaigning on the issues are vital components of change.

This is not a political party platform. Political labels are (a) misleading (b) a refuge from thoughtful analysis of issues. I know many people who consider themselves conservative but in many ways are more liberal than those who do not consider themselves conservative.

I have also pointed out that elections are rarely decided on single issues. For instance if you have a candidate who you think is sympathetic to gender equality and freedom of expression, but has opposite views to you on taxation, military spending and foreign policy, what are you going to do?

Let's get back to the issues and how to most effectively realise our goals, keeping in mind the diversity of political persuasion that is bound to be found in a forum like this.

Michael