Note to Brandon

Note to Brandon

February 6th, 2008, 2:57 am #1

I hope all is ok with you. I hear some bad tornados hit the TN area. As a matter of fact some polls had to close early in Memphis due to the storms.
I hope all voted in the primaries. I voted for Obama, it did little good since Clinton won NY easily.
I was hoping Obama would win NJ next store, but no such luck.

Brandon
Brandon

February 6th, 2008, 4:43 am #2

Thanks for remembering the people here in Tennessee. I'm in Memphis tonight and it has been rough. I was looking forward to watching election coverage, but all the local channels are wall to wall storm coverage.

Storms have passed through now where I am.

Jackson which is between Memphis and Nashville got hit real hard especially one of the colleges. That poor city has had like 3 major tornadoes in the past 10 years.

I still think Obama will do well enough tonight to keep his momentum going.

Let's hope he takes California!!!

Nat

February 6th, 2008, 5:01 am #3

Glad to know you're safe Brandon. I was thinking about you too.
When Hurricane Wilma came through here two years ago I was off line for a week and when I got back on everyone at Potpourri had been worrying that I'd gotten blown away. No, I was fine, but my Comcrap internet service was crapped out five days. That was disaster for me.

As for politics- what's all this rooting for Obama? I thought you were a Republican.
Republicans should want Hilliary to win because she would be easier to defeat in the general election.

Brandon
Brandon

February 6th, 2008, 5:28 am #4

Thanks Nat!

I once knew a guy who told me that Florida has hurricanes, we have tornadoes, the north has blizzards and California has earthquakes and that he had determined Arizona was the safest place to live. But I'd be scared they might run out of water.

I want to see Hillary stopped at any cost. I'd just as soon see her not be the nominee now than take my chances in November. That's why I'm rooting for Obama.

I'll ultimately vote for McCain, but I'd be satisfied with Obama.

Nat

February 6th, 2008, 8:09 am #5

Well at least with hurricanes you know they are coming. I'm far enough inland that they are not a major threat here- mostly trees and pool cages blown down. The worse damage I had was a pine tree fell on my fence and squashed it.

Back to politics- I'm surprise that you are content with McCain and especially Obama since they are very liberal. Indeed, many Conservatives think McCain is a closet Democrat. Huckabee should have been your man- the only one in the whole bunch pushing religion.

This is certainly turning out to be an interesting election with with very complex dynamics as how the various candidates match against each other. Before the primaries I thought the Dems would win in a cakewalk, but now it looks like their weakest general-election candidate (Hilliary) will be going up against the Republican's strongest general-election candidate- McCain (strong because a lot of independents like him) so it may turn out to be quite a contest.

But the clear losers in all this are the old-line conservatives, including their army of right-wing talk jocks like Limbaugh and Hannity who have been doing everything they could to derail McCain and failing. They have definitely lost their clout. And whoever wins in November the country is moving to considerably to the left.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

February 6th, 2008, 1:41 pm #6

I heard one right wing talk show host claim that McCain and closet liberal Huckabee (liberal!!) made a back room deal to freeze out Romney. I will say it again: Conservative talk radio is getting unhinged about McCain. It is fun to listen to.
Huckabee did amazingly well last night.

Nat

February 6th, 2008, 2:08 pm #7

Yes Limbaugh is definitely coming unglued. This election has been a shocking revelation that he and his ilk don't have the power to control voters anymore.

And they had been saying the only reason that their guy Romney wasn't winning was that Huckabee was splitting the conservative vote but if you took every vote Huckabee got last night and gave it to Romney it still would be far short what McCain has now (615 vs 437) so that argument sure won't wash anymore.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

February 6th, 2008, 2:27 pm #8

"Yes Limbaugh is definitely coming unglued. This election has been a shocking revelation that he and his ilk don't have the power to control voters anymore."

Yep. If you have XM, tune to 158 from 6 to 9 am (EST) and listen to Right wing nutcase Jim Quinn (also on 104.7 out of Pittsburgh and other local stations in PA and OH). He is losing it. He now thinks George Soros is engineering McCain's victories!!
This election is going to be fun all the way until November.
The Republican side is much more interesting than it has been since Reagan.

Bob
Bob

February 6th, 2008, 5:26 pm #9

Well at least with hurricanes you know they are coming. I'm far enough inland that they are not a major threat here- mostly trees and pool cages blown down. The worse damage I had was a pine tree fell on my fence and squashed it.

Back to politics- I'm surprise that you are content with McCain and especially Obama since they are very liberal. Indeed, many Conservatives think McCain is a closet Democrat. Huckabee should have been your man- the only one in the whole bunch pushing religion.

This is certainly turning out to be an interesting election with with very complex dynamics as how the various candidates match against each other. Before the primaries I thought the Dems would win in a cakewalk, but now it looks like their weakest general-election candidate (Hilliary) will be going up against the Republican's strongest general-election candidate- McCain (strong because a lot of independents like him) so it may turn out to be quite a contest.

But the clear losers in all this are the old-line conservatives, including their army of right-wing talk jocks like Limbaugh and Hannity who have been doing everything they could to derail McCain and failing. They have definitely lost their clout. And whoever wins in November the country is moving to considerably to the left.
They are out, and not just the far right-wing variety. I fear U.S. is headed toward a period of great political liberalization, fueled not only by the public's disillusionment with Bush Admin. policies but also due to the rise of women and minority groups as voting blocks. Any pol, regardless what side of the aisle they occupy, must now court the Liberal causes or risk defeat. I've considered that the time might come when its such a mess that I should consider relocating to a more sane country . . but where is that?

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

February 6th, 2008, 5:59 pm #10

Canada. The ultimate blue state!