Mom threw ALL my briefs away when I was a kid!

Mom threw ALL my briefs away when I was a kid!

October 22nd, 2012, 11:30 pm #1

I'm 48 now and I started freeballing on and off when I was a kid! I grew up on a tobacco farm in rural North Carolina in one of the poorest Counties in the state. I don't ever remember my Dad wearing underwear and it wasn't a big deal if us kids wore them or not, at least us boys. It made perfect sense: as a little kid we got really dirty playing so it made no difference if we had underwear on, and as Teens we started helping out, working on the farm, and we got really dirty and sweaty every day in the Summer. Also, when working in the heat and humidity you really didn't want to have a layer of unnecessary clothes on that was going to stay soaking wet all day!

It was perfectly OK to sleep naked, too! I have never owned a pair of pajamas. As a little kid I remember wearing an over-sized T-shirt that went down to my knees, but Mom didn't put underwear on us after our nighttime baths. By the time I was maybe 10, sleeping fully naked (like Dad) was just the norm. We didn't have any Taboos about seeing each other naked; there was nothing sexual about it. And, this seemed very common among my friends families, too. (By the way, I was a member of the YMCA when ALL boys were required to swim naked.)

Mom would buy us new underwear (in the 1970's all boys wore briefs) every year for school and of course throw the old ones away. On my last day of eighth grade, a day like many I didn't wear my briefs, my Mom decided to clean out my closet and drawers of all the old worn out clothes while I was at school. She cut off all the jeans with holes in the knees into shorts (and we really wore them short back then), cut up the cotton shirts into cleaning rags, and already tossed ALL my underwear in the burn-pit! There was nothing strange about this, I figured we would probably be going into town that weekend to do some Memorial Day shopping. The next day, Saturday, we did go shopping. While we where in the underwear department, Mom picked up several packs of socks and then as she walked down the aisle she glanced at the packs of briefs and said something like: "You boys won't be needing any of those till school starts if you even want 'em. You hardly ever wear 'em and they're too hot for the Summer." Then it occurred to me that she was right! I couldn't remember wearing any briefs all last Summer; I did have them in the drawer but never thought about putting them on. And, I was wearing them less and less during the school year. So, this was the first Summer I remember of not owning any underwear. When the Fall came she did buy me just one "three pack" and that seemed plenty considering she did laundry every day and I know there were weeks at a time I didn't wear them that next year. By my senior year I was freeballing full time and didn't wear or own any underwear till I went for my physical exam to join the Navy. I only wore them then because the recruiter had told all of us, "Make sure you're wearing underwear, 'cause that's all you'll be wearing for most of that day."

Ken P.
Ken P.

October 24th, 2012, 4:06 pm #2

Nice post. Thanks for sharing it.

Noel1835
Noel1835

October 25th, 2012, 12:39 am #3

I guess it's within the realm of possibility, but if you're 48, you were 8 in 1972. I know HS nude swimming lasted into the late 70's, but by that time it was increasingly rare. You say you were a farmboy. I guess you could have gone to the city where there was a Y. What city was that? How old were you when you swam nude at the Y? How many years did you do it? At this point, I'm a little skeptical that there's at least some embellishment to your story, but a little more detail could make me less so.

October 25th, 2012, 12:00 pm #4

I'm 48 now and I started freeballing on and off when I was a kid! I grew up on a tobacco farm in rural North Carolina in one of the poorest Counties in the state. I don't ever remember my Dad wearing underwear and it wasn't a big deal if us kids wore them or not, at least us boys. It made perfect sense: as a little kid we got really dirty playing so it made no difference if we had underwear on, and as Teens we started helping out, working on the farm, and we got really dirty and sweaty every day in the Summer. Also, when working in the heat and humidity you really didn't want to have a layer of unnecessary clothes on that was going to stay soaking wet all day!

It was perfectly OK to sleep naked, too! I have never owned a pair of pajamas. As a little kid I remember wearing an over-sized T-shirt that went down to my knees, but Mom didn't put underwear on us after our nighttime baths. By the time I was maybe 10, sleeping fully naked (like Dad) was just the norm. We didn't have any Taboos about seeing each other naked; there was nothing sexual about it. And, this seemed very common among my friends families, too. (By the way, I was a member of the YMCA when ALL boys were required to swim naked.)

Mom would buy us new underwear (in the 1970's all boys wore briefs) every year for school and of course throw the old ones away. On my last day of eighth grade, a day like many I didn't wear my briefs, my Mom decided to clean out my closet and drawers of all the old worn out clothes while I was at school. She cut off all the jeans with holes in the knees into shorts (and we really wore them short back then), cut up the cotton shirts into cleaning rags, and already tossed ALL my underwear in the burn-pit! There was nothing strange about this, I figured we would probably be going into town that weekend to do some Memorial Day shopping. The next day, Saturday, we did go shopping. While we where in the underwear department, Mom picked up several packs of socks and then as she walked down the aisle she glanced at the packs of briefs and said something like: "You boys won't be needing any of those till school starts if you even want 'em. You hardly ever wear 'em and they're too hot for the Summer." Then it occurred to me that she was right! I couldn't remember wearing any briefs all last Summer; I did have them in the drawer but never thought about putting them on. And, I was wearing them less and less during the school year. So, this was the first Summer I remember of not owning any underwear. When the Fall came she did buy me just one "three pack" and that seemed plenty considering she did laundry every day and I know there were weeks at a time I didn't wear them that next year. By my senior year I was freeballing full time and didn't wear or own any underwear till I went for my physical exam to join the Navy. I only wore them then because the recruiter had told all of us, "Make sure you're wearing underwear, 'cause that's all you'll be wearing for most of that day."
Thank you for posting a great experience. The best part was having the underwear tossed by your Mom!

AnthonyCo
AnthonyCo

October 25th, 2012, 5:10 pm #5

Oh man, I wish my mom would throw all my underwears away. Dang. That is so cool.

October 26th, 2012, 8:56 pm #6

I guess it's within the realm of possibility, but if you're 48, you were 8 in 1972. I know HS nude swimming lasted into the late 70's, but by that time it was increasingly rare. You say you were a farmboy. I guess you could have gone to the city where there was a Y. What city was that? How old were you when you swam nude at the Y? How many years did you do it? At this point, I'm a little skeptical that there's at least some embellishment to your story, but a little more detail could make me less so.
I'm 48, born 1964, nothing more I can say about proving my age, I'm not going to make my drivers license or birth certificate public. I swam naked at the Durham, NC, YMCA through the Summer of 1976 (I was 12). Our Church sponsored the weekly trip to Durham for the boys. Things change slowly here in the South. It was 1974 when a woman in Seattle, WA, filed a complaint with the Y, that she wanted to swim on her lunch break. Naked swimming classes at all Y's didn't entirely discontinue until 1980. Today, private swim parties can still swim naked. Some nudist organizations do this, yes, I've been to one at a YMCA. No exaggeration or embellishment, living here in some ways is like stepping back in time.

October 26th, 2012, 9:09 pm #7

Thank you for posting a great experience. The best part was having the underwear tossed by your Mom!

Glad you enjoyed it. The thing some people would find strange is that it really didn't surprise me. Freeballing was, and still is, part of the culture in farming communities.

Noel1835
Noel1835

October 26th, 2012, 10:39 pm #8

I'm 48, born 1964, nothing more I can say about proving my age, I'm not going to make my drivers license or birth certificate public. I swam naked at the Durham, NC, YMCA through the Summer of 1976 (I was 12). Our Church sponsored the weekly trip to Durham for the boys. Things change slowly here in the South. It was 1974 when a woman in Seattle, WA, filed a complaint with the Y, that she wanted to swim on her lunch break. Naked swimming classes at all Y's didn't entirely discontinue until 1980. Today, private swim parties can still swim naked. Some nudist organizations do this, yes, I've been to one at a YMCA. No exaggeration or embellishment, living here in some ways is like stepping back in time.
Sorry if I seemed a little over-skeptical. I appreciate the info and take your word for it.

October 27th, 2012, 1:44 pm #9

I freeballed rite out of diapers part time and my mom never bought me more then 3 pairs of underwear. When she dressed me it was allwas at random. Sometimes she put underwear on me and other times she didn't. As I learned to dress myself the rule was wear clean underwear or no underwear.

By age 5 my step dad caught on to my only putting underwear on when I was in trouble and about to get a whipping because at that point he was making me take off my pants and and let me leave underwear on if I was wearing any. Once he figured that out pants and underwear came off when I got in trouble and I got it bare ether way.

When my mom did a spring cleaning when I was in kindergarten she through out all of what little underwear I had and when we went shoping for school clothes at the begining of the next school year she walked past the underwear rack picked up 1 pack and said "you need this" I said no"she then put it back and I haven't owned underwear since the middle of kindergarten.

October 27th, 2012, 3:32 pm #10

Interesting story. Was freeballing common in your area at the time among children and/or adults, or was it specific to your family?

I do find it interesting to hear of parents (especially mothers) who approve of freeballing. Most (including my own) would likely have opposed it on the grounds of "hygeine" or something along those lines.

Confirmation of reply: