Leave it to bureaucrats!

Leave it to bureaucrats!

Nat

April 29th, 2010, 12:44 am #1

Ever wonder what bureaucrats do? Well- for one thing they correct problems that no one knew existed. Like everyone knows what a lightning rod is- a rod placed on a structure to intercept lightning strikes. It was called a "lightning rod" ever since Ben Franklin invented it 200 years ago. That is- until about 20 years ago when the NEC people decided that name made too much sense. So in all official regulations they began calling it a "Air Terminal". Hmmm. Well I was just reading the latest crap from the NEC and learn they have decided it was time to change the name again- so henceforth- it will be called a "Strike Termination Device". Please update your vocabulary- until the next change.

Marseil
Marseil

April 29th, 2010, 6:28 am #2

We do need a "strike termination device" here! We need it to terminate all the strikes that plague the life and economy in France!

Marseil.

Nat

April 29th, 2010, 11:40 am #3

Well I think they are talking about a different kind of "strike", Marseil.

Actually it's been a long time since I've heard of any significant labor strikes here in the US. I guess in the current economy people who have a job are happy just to have one and don't want to do anything to jeopardize it.

By the way- good to see you back. Potpourri has really been struggling lately for lack of participates.

Cool beans boi
Cool beans boi

April 29th, 2010, 12:44 pm #4

I thought is was called a lightning arrestor

Nat

April 29th, 2010, 4:03 pm #5

No, a arrestor in a device (usually containing a carbon or metal-oxide material or sometimes a special gas) that connects to a incoming service line (power, phone, cable, etc) and (hopefully) intercept the voltage surges (from lighting or EMP or whatever).

There are many diffent types but here's one for telephone lines-

. . . . . . . .

A lightning rod ("strike termination device") is a metal rod up on a roof or tower that is suppose to divert a lighting strike that would otherwise hit the roof or a antenna to a cable that takes it (hopefully harmlessly) to ground.

. . . . . . .

Marseil
Marseil

May 7th, 2010, 7:46 am #6

Well I think they are talking about a different kind of "strike", Marseil.

Actually it's been a long time since I've heard of any significant labor strikes here in the US. I guess in the current economy people who have a job are happy just to have one and don't want to do anything to jeopardize it.

By the way- good to see you back. Potpourri has really been struggling lately for lack of participates.
Technically, I'm not "back", as I never left. I do read POt POurri, generally every day, and at least once or twice a week. It gives me a good break at work...

I just don't write when the object of the posts are very US centric, or don't take the time to think and write when I need to write an elaborate, complex, nuanced opinion....

Marseil.

Nat

May 7th, 2010, 1:50 pm #7

The fact that you provide a foreign perspective is what makes your views valuable here Marseil. A common criticism of Americans is that we are too egocentric and I think its true. Most Americans have little interest in whats going on in the rest of the world. You can see this by our newscasts. Years ago I use to listen to shortwave a lot and was always amazed at how differently other countries view things happening here. I often found their views enlightening- giving me a perspective I didn't get from domestic newscasts. And the fact that you are a frequent visitor to the US makes your views all the more valuable.

Marseil
Marseil

May 7th, 2010, 10:17 pm #8

Right, Nat, I've made the effort of putting my ideas (not that great, I admit) into a few sentences and participate in the discussion......

Marseil.

Nat

May 7th, 2010, 10:35 pm #9

Marseil, you are one of the smartest and most knowledgeable people who post here.
Your posts are way more intelligent than most I see on internet forums.

Bob
Bob

May 9th, 2010, 4:35 am #10

The fact that you provide a foreign perspective is what makes your views valuable here Marseil. A common criticism of Americans is that we are too egocentric and I think its true. Most Americans have little interest in whats going on in the rest of the world. You can see this by our newscasts. Years ago I use to listen to shortwave a lot and was always amazed at how differently other countries view things happening here. I often found their views enlightening- giving me a perspective I didn't get from domestic newscasts. And the fact that you are a frequent visitor to the US makes your views all the more valuable.
Perhaps other Americans share my viewpoint regarding what interests me or does not interest me when it comes to other countries. I think American media does cover the disasters that occur, whether it is here in US, or in Europe, or in Africa, or wherever. And, I feel for the people who suffer in those situations, but it is too far removed for me to do anything about it. I do enjoy watching travel programs that show interesting sites, the native cuisines and customs. The part that doesn't interest me is foreign politics. I don't much care for American politics, so I don't find it at all interesting to hear about elections elsewhere, political debates and so on. Maybe that is why foreign coverage by American media is so limited . . . Americans don't tend to be so interested in that. It is like, that is someone else's business, not mine.