Computer Questions

Computer Questions

Bob
Bob

June 8th, 2010, 4:49 pm #1

A family friend sent me a windows media video that she made. The video includes family photos that I would like to save and print, but I'm not sure how to do that. I tried pausing the video on a photo, then hitting print screen button, then opening the photo in Paint. Problem is that I cannot edit and then save just the photo. The picture gets cut off, so that only a portion of it is able to be copied as a jpeg file. Does anyone know how I can save individual photos from a windows media file? Thanks!

Nat

June 8th, 2010, 7:57 pm #2

I'm not sure what you mean by "the picture gets cut off". But I don't like either of those programs- I use two free programs- VLC media player and IrfanView photo viewer and I have no problem taking screen captures of movies. VLC has slow motion down to x.03 which makes it easy to stop at just the right frame- and IrfanView has all sorts of editing tricks for croping, resizing, correcting color, pasting, inserting text, etc. Two great programs and at my favorite price!

Bob
Bob

June 9th, 2010, 1:02 am #3

I had used vlc (and irfanview) before, but it hadn't occurred to me to use that to copy still pics from a video. I thought vlc was just a video player, like Windows media player. But vlc has a "snapshot" feature that did the trick. Persistence, research and some friendly advice comes through yet again!

Nat

June 9th, 2010, 2:23 am #4

VLC has been improved a lot since it first came out. Each new version has new features so it's always good to periodically check and see if you have the latest version (this is true for all programs). The one I have is 1.0.5.

Now I didn't know about the "snapshot" thing- I just find the frame I want and use the windows screenshot button. Probably just a different way of doing the same thing. But I would paste that into a better program than Paint- like Irfanview- which has much better photo editing facilities than Paint.