A New Story: Ant & Grasshopper

A New Story: Ant & Grasshopper

Bob
Bob

July 22nd, 2010, 3:27 pm #1

Two Different Versions OF THE ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER
With Two Different Morals

THE OLD VERSION

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away..

Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.

The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.
MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!

MODERN VERSION

The ant works hard in the withering heat and the rain all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while he is cold and starving.

CBS, NBC , PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food.

America is stunned by the sharp contrast.

How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper and everybody cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'

Acorn stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house where the news stations film the group singing,'We shall overcome.' Rev. Jeremiah Wright then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.

President Obama condemns the ant and blames President Bush, President Reagan, Christopher Columbus, and the Pope for the grasshopper's plight.

Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid exclaim in an interview with Larry King that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.

Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity & Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer.

The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the Government Green Czar and given to the grasshopper.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper and his free-loading friends finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the house he is living in, furnished by the government, which, as you will recall, just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around them because the grasshopper doesn't maintain it.

The ant disappears into the snow, never to be seen again.

The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident, and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the ramshackle, once prosperous and once peaceful, neighborhood.

The entire Nation collapses bringing the rest of the free world with it.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be careful how you vote in 2010.

Nat

July 22nd, 2010, 7:45 pm #2

Nice story Bob but my concern is not lazy-ass people who won't work to earn a living but the great middle class who are working their asses off these days and getting nowhere. Our whole economic system has become so tilted to favor those who have money- rewarding them with all kinds of discounts and free services while penalizing hard-working people who are barely getting by.

Banks are a good example- if you have lots of money you get special interest-paying accounts and all kind of free services while the average joe must pay for. Instead of getting interest on his account- he gets charged a service fee. Some banks and other companies are even charging you for sending you a bill or monthly statement. So if you don't have money for a computer and internet service- too bad!

Brokerage firms give big discounts to large accounts. Vanguard pays higher dividends and charge lower maintenance fees for accounts over $100K- still lower if over $500K. Fidelity is the same way. Where does that leave the little guy?

Rich people can buy in larger quantities and get bulk discounts. They can pay bills annually at much lower rates then those who pay by the month. They can pay off their charge cards each month while the average joe is eaten up with interest charges. And if he is late making a payment or has a bounced check or has to pay for a reconnect fee he pays through the nose. Rich people never have to worry about any of that. And the rich can afford accountants to find out to get every tax break- poor people just pay.

I can go on and on with example after example of how the middle class is getting shafted these days. It's not a fair playing field at all. The old saying- "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer" was never more true today!

And why is it like this? Because rich people who can afford to give campaign donations so thats who politicians listen and cater to. These people "buy" the laws and regulations they want- that benefit them- while the average working-joe has no political clout at all. He can barely pay his light bill much less make campaign donations.

We saw this in the recent healthcare bill- I thought this was a opportunity to get profit hungry insurance companies out of our heathcare system- but after their high-paid lobbyists were through padding the pockets of congress the insurance industry and their stock holders are better off then ever!

Cool beans boi
Cool beans boi

July 23rd, 2010, 2:18 pm #3

Two Different Versions OF THE ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER
With Two Different Morals

THE OLD VERSION

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away..

Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.

The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.
MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!

MODERN VERSION

The ant works hard in the withering heat and the rain all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while he is cold and starving.

CBS, NBC , PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food.

America is stunned by the sharp contrast.

How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper and everybody cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'

Acorn stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house where the news stations film the group singing,'We shall overcome.' Rev. Jeremiah Wright then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.

President Obama condemns the ant and blames President Bush, President Reagan, Christopher Columbus, and the Pope for the grasshopper's plight.

Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid exclaim in an interview with Larry King that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.

Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity & Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer.

The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the Government Green Czar and given to the grasshopper.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper and his free-loading friends finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the house he is living in, furnished by the government, which, as you will recall, just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around them because the grasshopper doesn't maintain it.

The ant disappears into the snow, never to be seen again.

The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident, and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the ramshackle, once prosperous and once peaceful, neighborhood.

The entire Nation collapses bringing the rest of the free world with it.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be careful how you vote in 2010.
Fox shows up with an edited video tape to make Grasshopper look racist.
Moral of the Story :NEVER BELIEVE CONSERVATIVES!

Bob
Bob

July 23rd, 2010, 4:58 pm #4

The real fault for that situation you referenced was not the blogger, or even with Fox News, but rather with the knee-jerk reaction by the Agriculture Dept. Secretary. It was he who pressed Sherrod to resign before he had all the facts. Liberals and Conservatives both make wild accusations, and anyone should know that you must check the validity of the claims and not just run with them. Yes, Fox News had no problem assuming that the accusation by the blogger was true -- they would like for it to be true. But given that Sherrod was forced out of her position, obviously the Agriculture Secretary thought the accusation was true, and I think people would tend to think the accusation was valid given she lost her job (and within a Democrat/Liberal Administration at that). I'm sure if I lost my job that the local newspaper or TV/radio stations wouldn't have dug deeper -- my "guilt" would be assumed.

Bill O'Reilly and Fox News did apologize for the error . . . can you imagine Keith Olbermann or Rachel Maddow apologizing if the tables were turned? I can't. They would likely have either said nothing or intimated that some deal was struck to allow the person to return to their job "under a cloud of suspicion".

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

July 25th, 2010, 5:05 am #5

Wait just a minute here

1. The agriculture secretary was laboring under the false illusion that Fox was a real news organization and got the fact right.

2. O'Reilly's "apology" was has assed at best. He DID apologize for getting it wrong, but went on the say there are still parts of the speech that need explaining. He also went on to incorrectly state that she was in violation of the Hatch act that keeps you from politicing on government time. Lawyer Megan Kelly had to correct him and tell her that she was not in violation since she was not at work at the time.

3. I have heard Olberman apologize for getting things wrong, he has even made himself "the worst person in the world" a few times.

Nice try Bob, but the facts don't support your argument.

cool beans boiI
cool beans boiI

July 25th, 2010, 5:07 am #6

1. The secretary was under the delusion

OMG..I am the worst person in the world !!

LOL

Bob
Bob

July 25th, 2010, 5:02 pm #7

Wait just a minute here

1. The agriculture secretary was laboring under the false illusion that Fox was a real news organization and got the fact right.

2. O'Reilly's "apology" was has assed at best. He DID apologize for getting it wrong, but went on the say there are still parts of the speech that need explaining. He also went on to incorrectly state that she was in violation of the Hatch act that keeps you from politicing on government time. Lawyer Megan Kelly had to correct him and tell her that she was not in violation since she was not at work at the time.

3. I have heard Olberman apologize for getting things wrong, he has even made himself "the worst person in the world" a few times.

Nice try Bob, but the facts don't support your argument.
"The agriculture secretary was laboring under the false illusion that Fox was a real news organization . . ."

And, of course, news orgs never report anything that isn't true, and you can believe everything you hear on the radio or TV or read in a newspaper.

Isn't it the EMPLOYER'S job to do their own investigation, based upon the facts rather than innuendo, before firing the person? Ex: Cops who shoot people get put on paid administrative leave while being investigated - they aren't just canned. And that is following a death. Likewise, if a health care provider is accused of abuse or negligence, they aren't just fired or have their license revoked . . . they are removed from patient care until the facts are verified. True, some crap job (store clerk, laborer) can be fired at an employer's whim, but we are talking about a high level govt job in Sherrod's case. The Agriculture Secretary needed to review the tape of Sherrod's entire speech BEFORE concluding that she had done anything wrong. The Secretary reacted in knee-jerk fashion -- news orgs were not responsible for his mistake.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

July 26th, 2010, 1:22 pm #8

I agree the government screwed up here, but you are missing the point that Fox News intentionally slandered her.

Nat

July 26th, 2010, 3:20 pm #9

I never thought I'd be defending Fox, but weren't they just reporting what a website had online?
That there was video of Sherrod making the statement was undeniable since anyone could see it and they weren't the only news organization to report it.

I put the real blame in this fiasco on the Obama administration for a total inept handling of the matter. There was no excuse for firing anyone before even taking time to hear her explanation.

Had the administration handled this properly it could have been a great opportunity to embarrass right-wing media but instead they are the ones who came off looking like fools.

And while there is no doubt that Andrew Breitbart pick this statement to make Sherrod look as bad as possible, it is in fact her words. This should be a lesson to every public figure to never make a statement that can be misconstrued even if viewed in isolation.

Bob
Bob

July 26th, 2010, 5:20 pm #10

I'll concede this to CBB: Fox News DID run with the story, because it fit what they want to portray about Libs/Dems. I seriously doubt that there is any news org. that is completely unbiased in their reporting. If nothing else, their choices of what to include in a story and what to omit are subjective and probably influenced by personal views. (I recall hearing that people like to listen to others who espouse their own point of view -- validate their own bias' -- so when a newspaper or TV/radio station is trying to cultivate a larger audience, that affects what gets covered and how. That is why Fox News caters to a more conservative audience than CNN or MSNBC). The reader/listener has to pick through what is presented, and listen/read a few different sources, to try to glean some version of the truth.