Malika's 3d design extravaganza!

For the artistic or literary-minded, you can post your 31st Millennium fan-fiction and artwork here.

Malika's 3d design extravaganza!

Malika
Praetor

19 Feb 2013, 16:10 #1

Inspired by these ships I decided to pick up again on using Sketchup.

I've always been in love with the ship designs of 40k, and always wanted to make some myself. So here it is.

As you can notice it is a rather blatant copy of the stuff Dave (see link above) did. But it's kind of how I imagined the Crusade era ships to be, rather "sleek" compared to the stuff in 40k and with little or no ornaments on them.

More coming soon!
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Ogun
Centurion
Ogun
Centurion

19 Feb 2013, 21:39 #2

Looks good!
I've always had the same idea too. Sleeker, better maintained and less of the 'thousands of men hauling a torpedoe into the tube with ropes' 40k technology. These are afterall meant to be new ships, manned and built by those who better understand the technology. Less of the 'gothic' in Battlefleet Gothic!

Ahriman's Aide
Praetor

20 Feb 2013, 03:39 #3

Nice work. Maybe you could do renditions of what you think an Abyss Class or other unseen 30k ships might look like?

Malika
Praetor

20 Feb 2013, 07:12 #4

I have been thinking of doing that, and also to add some background info to this design.

Could you give me a clearer description of the Abyss Class? In my head it's still like a gigantic rectangle.
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Ahriman's Aide
Praetor

20 Feb 2013, 07:27 #5

Malika @ Feb 20 2013, 07:12 AM wrote: I have been thinking of doing that, and also to add some background info to this design.

Could you give me a clearer description of the Abyss Class? In my head it's still like a gigantic rectangle.

I can give you more then that:

A vast ship dominated the view through the hardened plexi-glass of the blister dome. It was surrounded by massively over-engineered machinery, as if the scaffold supporting the hordes of menials and enginseers had been built around it, and thick trails of reinforced hosing bled away the pneumatic pressure required to keep the gargantuan vessel elevated.

Cathedra soared from the ship’s ornate hull, their spires groping for the stars like crooked fingers. So armoured, it could withstand even a concerted assault from a defence laser battery. In fact, it had been forged with that very purpose in mind.

Its blunt bullet prow, and the way its flanks splayed out to encompass the enormous midsection, spoke of strength and precision. Three massive crenellated decks extended from it like the sharpened prongs of a stygian trident. Twin banks of laser batteries gleamed in dull gunmetal down its broadsides. A single volley would have annihilated the loading bay and everyone in it. Cannon mounts sat idle on angular blocks of metal filled with viewpoints that hinted at the myriad chambers within. The rapacious bristle of the defensive turrets along the dorsal and ventral spines, and the dark indentations of the torpedo tubes, shimmered with violent intent.

Spiked antenna towers punched outward from multitudinous sub-decks, interspersed with further weapon arrays and torpedo bays. The ship’s ribbed belly shimmered like oil and was replete with dozens of fighter hangars.

At the stern, the huge cowlings of the exhausts flared over the deep glow of the warming engines, primed to unleash enough thrust to force the warship away from Thule. Like chrome hexagons, the engine vents were so vast and terrible that to stare into their dormant hearts was to engulf all sense and reason in a fathomless darkened void.

Finally, sheets of shielding peeled off the prow, revealing a massive figurehead: a book, wreathed in flame, wrought from gold and silver. Words of Lorgar’s choosing were engraved on the pages in letters many metres high. It was the greatest and largest vessel ever forged, unique in every way and powerful beyond reckoning.

cypher104
Legionary
cypher104
Legionary

23 Feb 2013, 22:01 #6

Really like the style of those ships. Blunt and warlike.

There are some descriptions of the Abyss Class ships in Betrayer, don't have it to hand at the moment though.
If a lot of powerful psykers committing mass suicide creates a super being that even gods fear, then why hasn't anyone else done it? Surely the Eldar could create an even more powerful "Emperor".

They did, it's called Slaanesh, and it's trying to eat them.

Ahriman's Aide
Praetor

01 Mar 2013, 21:32 #7

Malika @ Feb 20 2013, 07:12 AM wrote: I have been thinking of doing that, and also to add some background info to this design.

And Laurie provides.

cypher104
Legionary
cypher104
Legionary

02 Mar 2013, 15:33 #8

Nice. Finally puts a pictue in my head, I like it.
I always thought it was a giant trident from the book descriptions, and thought that was stupid, this model makes it work.
If a lot of powerful psykers committing mass suicide creates a super being that even gods fear, then why hasn't anyone else done it? Surely the Eldar could create an even more powerful "Emperor".

They did, it's called Slaanesh, and it's trying to eat them.

Matus
Praetor
Matus
Praetor

24 Mar 2013, 20:37 #9

Wow, that's a blast from the past!

http://www.solegends.com/citsfleet/imperial.htm

Hang on, it reminds me of something else.... brb

Matus
Praetor
Matus
Praetor