Competition 1 – The First Expeditionary

Welcome to The First Expedition: This is the world's foremost online community dedicated exclusively to the 31st Millennium, based around the setting of the Horus Heresy by Games Workshop.

Competition 1 – The First Expeditionary

Apologist
Centurion
Apologist
Centurion

January 11th, 2013, 11:34 am #1

The launch of the First Expeditionary Fleet was a grand affair, presided over by the Emperor himself, and involving the launch of thousands of ships to explore, reclaim and conquer the worlds of the galaxy in the name of mankind.

Among those who looked skywards were the brave soldiers and sailors of the Imperial Army and Navy, countless supernumeraries, toting-men and quartermasters, and of course members of the twenty Legions of the Astartes.

From fresh-faced recruits to hard-bitten mercenary captains, the First Expedition represented the cream and steel of humanity, drawn from Terra, Luna and Mars. It was truly a compact of heroes, drawing its fuel from every natstat, nom-people and hive-city of the nascent Imperium.

This competition is designed for you to test your imagination and produce a miniature, converted and painted to the best of your ability, to represent a single member of the First Expedition. This may be a starship pilot, a brute savage herded into the Army, a restless aristocrat, an Astartes warrior in early mark armour, one of the rating dregs of the enginarium, a petty functionary, or any of the other hundreds and thousands of humans on board the ships of the First Expedition.

+++
The Theme
A member of the First Expedition – the first group of people to set off on the Great Crusade.

The peoples of Terra, Luna and Mars have expanded outwards through the Sol System, rendering all the planets, dwarf planets and satellites Compliant to the Imperial Truth. All Hail the Master of Mankind!

While this does put a few limits on what you can do – no Primarchs have yet been discovered, for example – we hope you'll look upon this as a chance to exercise your imaginations. There are plenty of possibilities, ranging from Legionnaires from Legions as yet without a name, to the Old Hundred Imperial Army, to the more esoteric travellers, hangers-on and petty functionaries.

Most important of all – have fun!

To enter the competition
1) Post your intention to enter on this thread – there's no need to go into detail on what you intend to make, but if you'd like to, please go ahead.

2) Only models previously unposted on the noosphere (the internet in general) are eligible for entry into this contest – we'd like to encourage you to paint that model you've always wanted to do, but have never quite had the impetus.

3) Photographs should be submitted to Hyperion at: astrohaggis AT yahoo DOT com If you're struggling to get a good clean picture, in proper focus, try following the suggestions laid out in this tutorial.

4) Entries can be submitted from now until midday (12 noon) Sunday the 24th of February 2013. Entries received after this date will have missed the boats and be stranded on Terra. ;)

5) In the event of a ruckus, or voting shenanigans, the Enforcers will be deployed. Please treat this competition as the bit of fun it is.

6) Any single model may be entered as long as it fits the theme of the contest. This includes different scales (Epic and Inquisitor, for example), complete scratch-builds, and non GW models.

7) Groups of models are only allowed if they are usually fielded as such (e.g. an Epic unit stand), or if one model is clearly a secondary element (e.g. a weapon bearer, familiar or servant). These secondary models must be incorporated onto the same base. Don't worry if you've got a squad or diorama in mind – we've got plenty of competitions lined up.

8) While not necessary, we would like to encourage you to write a little colour text about your model – try and evoke his or her (or its?) character and life story in a paragraph or two of text (max 500 words). This can be posted on this thread whenever you like (so there's something for you to do if you've gone ahead and got your model completed), or can be submitted in secrecy to Hyperion.

+++
Glittering prizes
At the end date, we will post all of the entries in a new thread for the members of the forum to vote on which one they think best fulfils the competition theme. Voting will be open for one week. In the event of a tie, Hyperion will act as WARMASTER and make a personal choice.

The winner of the common vote will receive a hardback Horus Heresy novel of their choice from Black Library, some classic Marine parts from Rogue Trader and second edition Warhammer 40,000, and the plaudits of the forum in the form of their model being placed in The First Expedition Mausoleum, for the delectation and delight of all.

The winner of the best colour text, voted on by the members, will receive a small mystery prize.

So, what are you waiting for, troops – you've got six weeks to get to the shuttles! Good luck!

Edit - deadline extended by 1 week!
+++Industrious and bionically-enhanced member
of the Plastic Crack Rehab Clinic+++

Death of a Rubricist
My blog

Ahriman's Aide
Praetor

January 11th, 2013, 11:45 am #2

Stupid question, but does it have to be a single model, or can it be more then one on a same base or scenic base?

+++Moderators (apolgetic!) note+++
Sorry Ahriman's Aide; I'm afraid I'm still getting used to the Moderator powers, and accidentally edited your post while trying to reply to it. If you'd like to re-edit your post, feel free! (Apologist)

Malika
Praetor

January 11th, 2013, 12:03 pm #3

This is going to be really awesome isn't it?

I'd love to see more (late) Unification Wars / (early) Great Crusade stuff!

Sadly enough I won't be joining though, the lack of time, money and a job has that effect on a guy, but I' definitely keeping my eyes on this one!

By the way, a little nitpick: was there even such a thing as the Imperial Navy? I mean, wasn't it just part of the Imperial Army, until Guilliman separated all the branches?
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

AC101
Centurion
AC101
Centurion

January 11th, 2013, 12:09 pm #4

yeah count me in :)

I have an idea forming....
I have a blog! <-- Clicky!

Pacific
Centurion
Pacific
Centurion

January 11th, 2013, 12:29 pm #5

Excellent stuff, I already have some ideas and look forward to posting an entry! :)

Kwll
Centurion
Kwll
Centurion

January 11th, 2013, 12:49 pm #6

great idea loveing this

think i will enter just got to come up with a good idea maybe outside standard scale as a change from painting legionares

Apologist
Centurion
Apologist
Centurion

January 11th, 2013, 1:10 pm #7

Ahriman's Aide wrote:Stupid question, but does it have to be a single model, or can it be more then one on a same base or scenic base?

The contest is for a single model, but as long as it's in theme, everything's fair game. I think a mini diorama could look nice :)

Malika wrote:By the way, a little nitpick: was there even such a thing as the Imperial Navy? I mean, wasn't it just part of the Imperial Army, until Guilliman separated all the branches?

You got me – I just wanted to emphasise that you can do any member of the expeditionary fleet, and star-sailors seemed an evocative image.
+++Industrious and bionically-enhanced member
of the Plastic Crack Rehab Clinic+++

Death of a Rubricist
My blog

Tarik Torgaddon
Centurion

January 11th, 2013, 1:27 pm #8

I have really missed these contests, they were always such a great way the get inspiration to create something awesome.

I'm thinking of going for either an AM magos, a primarch or a thunder warrior.
" Our name..our legion had been forged anew, for we were the Luna Wolves no longer, we had become the Sons of Horus, in name as well as in spirit."
Knight Brother Ordo Scalprum Butyrum

Malika
Praetor

January 11th, 2013, 1:32 pm #9

By the way, this theme might also be very cool to a fiction contest. Would be nice to see very optimistic 30k universe stories! :D
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Der dunkle Apostel
Centurion

January 11th, 2013, 4:06 pm #10

i got all excited then realised, im not the best painter, my sculpting isnt that good, and some of you guys are just amazing, so i decided i shall just enjoy some of the amazing stuff you guys will enter. :)