What have you just FINISHED?

ions
Forum junkie
ions
Forum junkie

October 28th, 2007, 10:28 pm #1

Started and finished A Midsummer Night's Dream by Bill the Bard today. Was fun.

What have you just finished?
Currently reading: "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Periodically reading: Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges and the Collected Works of Nietzsche

Docpacey
Literary lunatic
Docpacey
Literary lunatic

October 29th, 2007, 3:00 am #2

I just finished The Man Who Loved Children the bot6w. it was brutal, but a satisfying ending.
I am hoping to finish The Moviegoer tonight.

I am stuck on At-Swim-Two-Birds which i haven't picked up in a month
Owen Glendower which is decent, but slow going and almost 800 pages, and
The Ancestor's Tale which i am just picking my way through slowly.

If you can?t annoy somebody, there is little point in writing.
Kingsley Amis

ions
Forum junkie
ions
Forum junkie

November 2nd, 2007, 12:57 am #3

No Country For Old Men. Another thoroughly enjoyed book. I'm having a rather good reading year.
Currently reading: "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Periodically reading: Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges and the Collected Works of Nietzsche

laszlopaniflex
Acolyte

November 2nd, 2007, 1:24 pm #4

couple days ago, Nabokov - The Eye, read in one day [only 104 pages]

before that, Amis - Dead Babies

before that, Nab - Laughter in the Dark

-mm

Mudfrost
Literary lunatic
Mudfrost
Literary lunatic

November 2nd, 2007, 11:08 pm #5

Recently finished Fingersmith, by Sarah Waters. I think I might have mentioned this elsewhere...

Ok book, not great but good characters and atmosphere. Too often she takes a scene too far. Hope she gets better.

Docpacey
Literary lunatic
Docpacey
Literary lunatic

November 3rd, 2007, 4:53 am #6

Finished The Moviegoer a couple days late. Interesting book, I know several on the board have recommended it. the prose is artful, a slow, southern drawl of a narrative. a short book at 240 p. but i read it over he course of a month, cause Bot6w got in there and it was the 600 lb gorilla in the reading room.
there were many snippets that were tasty, but nothing profound, just good enough to be appreciated, but in the end the overt racism left enough of a bad taste to make it hard for me to recommend.

If you can?t annoy somebody, there is little point in writing.
Kingsley Amis

orlando
Forum junkie
orlando
Forum junkie

November 3rd, 2007, 8:31 pm #7

I finished Life of Pi about 10 days ago. I enjoyed its start, i even liked Pi and his take on religion. I didn't mind the story though i predicted how it might be twisted -- maybe I missed something cos I really don't see why it might make me believe in God (and I am not as averse to that idea as I coudl be). Something about it left me feeling underwhelmed -- perhaps the most interesting bit is the stranmge thing that happens before the end of part 2 (edited to avoid spoilers), which I might interpret....but maybe I am missing something. anyone else read it and feel differently? For me, I cannot understand how it could win the Booker ahead of The Story of Lucy Gault.

Thy thee that starts, Is, already.

Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

November 3rd, 2007, 9:38 pm #8

TonyH wrote: I finished Life of Pi about 10 days ago. I enjoyed its start, i even liked Pi and his take on religion. I didn't mind the story though i predicted how it might be twisted -- maybe I missed something cos I really don't see why it might make me believe in God (and I am not as averse to that idea as I coudl be). Something about it left me feeling underwhelmed -- perhaps the most interesting bit is the stranmge thing that happens before the end of part 2 (edited to avoid spoilers), which I might interpret....but maybe I am missing something. anyone else read it and feel differently? For me, I cannot understand how it could win the Booker ahead of The Story of Lucy Gault.
I felt the same way about it. It's a nice enough novel, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement. It's a crowd-pleasing sort of novel, though, popular with the reading group set. I put it on my list of recommended novels that I give to my students, and they usually like it.
?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

orlando
Forum junkie
orlando
Forum junkie

November 4th, 2007, 7:22 pm #9

Funhouse wrote: I felt the same way about it. It's a nice enough novel, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement. It's a crowd-pleasing sort of novel, though, popular with the reading group set. I put it on my list of recommended novels that I give to my students, and they usually like it.
Glad its not just me, if thats the right way to put it.

Thy thee that starts, Is, already.

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

November 4th, 2007, 8:02 pm #10

ditto
on the Life of Pi
a mediocre piece of writing