What have you just bought?

ions
Forum junkie
ions
Forum junkie

August 12th, 2007, 5:17 pm #1

Many of us book lovers buy books at far greater rates than we read them. So tell us what you bought!

I started this thread because I'm so excited about my recent haul. Borders, in Buffalo of all places had these in stock:

The Tunnel by William H. Gass
Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry with an aftwerword by Vollmann

And while I was stateside I picked up my Amazon order from a few weeks ago:

The Recognitions by William Gaddis (Intro by Gass)
Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon (at $7 from Amazon why not own 2?)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Scholastic Edition by Joanne Rowling

Sheesh, if ever a book stood out from others eh?
Currently reading: "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Periodically reading: Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges and the Collected Works of Nietzsche

kline19
Forum junkie
kline19
Forum junkie

August 12th, 2007, 5:24 pm #2

I bought Mrs. Dalloway and a post-war American short-stories anthology for my sister's birthday present. Also, I bought Mahabharata at a bookseller on amazon.com. The guy it seemed getting low-quality paperbacks from India in bulk and selling them in the USA. Must be making a killing...
The love hoarded all your life ... for the work, and his lips still moved silently over that last word - TR

johnnywalkitoff
Forum junkie

August 12th, 2007, 5:47 pm #3

Just got a shipment from amazon

Malina
The Savage Detectives
The Smartest Kid in the World
still waiting on Lunar Caustic
The clock is a ceiling fan with no breeze.

Why do you, in becoming a crowd, look as plain and anonymous as a smear of dull and dying flowers?

ions
Forum junkie
ions
Forum junkie

August 12th, 2007, 7:22 pm #4

I was so close to picking up The Savage Detectives at Borders but their price really wasn't very good and The Tunnel was spotted shortly afterwards.
Currently reading: "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Periodically reading: Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges and the Collected Works of Nietzsche

Tatzelwurm
Forum junkie
Tatzelwurm
Forum junkie

August 12th, 2007, 8:10 pm #5

On the verge of buying Darkmans.
Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

Friedrich Nietzsche

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

August 12th, 2007, 8:52 pm #6

I'm waiting for it [Darkmans]
to get to the USA

just purchased:

WIlliam Gibson - Pattern Recognitions
Edwards, G.B. - The Book of Ebenezer Le Page
JP Donleavy -
The Ginger Man
A Singular Man
The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B.

Cultural Atlas of Ancient Egypt
Tom Mccarthy -Remainder

Daniel Leader - Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers

Ted Hughes - Collected Poems
Francis Steegmuller - Flaubert and Madame Bovary: A Double Portrait

fidusachates
Literary lunatic
fidusachates
Literary lunatic

August 13th, 2007, 11:08 am #7

my last purchases are chang-rae lee's aloft and samuel beckett's three novels: molloy, malone dies and the unnameable.

i've targeted a book of poems by carl dennis as a future purchase.

lepel alip, alup a lap
-- JJ, Finnegans Wake

Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

August 13th, 2007, 12:14 pm #8

I don't buy books very often these days, as my shelves are already overflowing with books I haven't gotten around to reading. I get a lot of books out of the three libraries that I'm a member of (my school - I can ask them to buy books that I want without too many problems; my local community library - which has a great graphic novel collection; and the University of Melbourne - a big university library is great for up-to-date fiction of the less popular kind as well as academic works).

I also get a fair few books for free that I review, although mostly these days they're 'young adult' titles, and frequently not too great in quality.

Having said that, the books I've actually shelled out for recently (last few months) include McEwan's On Chesil Beach and Ondaatje's Divisadero.
?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

onefatman
onefatman

August 13th, 2007, 3:00 pm #9

Today arrived in the mail:

Harold Brodkey: Runaway Soul
John Bunyan: Pilgrim's Progress

very excited. kinda started them both already.

k2doggo
Literary lunatic
k2doggo
Literary lunatic

August 14th, 2007, 5:08 pm #10

in elementary school i used to belong to the school book clubs--arrow, scholastic, tab--where once a month you'd get a form to fill out--you'd check off all the books you wanted to read

every month the books would arrive...everybody else had one or 2 books...i was the jerk who got the big carton

still doing it...today i got the carton from writers workshop, covered with stamps from india and tied with twine

it contains
--the kathasaritsagara by somadeva...a thousand-page storytelling collection that predates the 1001 Nights...the title means "the ocean into which the streams of story have flowed"
--mirza ghalib, on kline's say-so
--verses from the jap-ji (part of the sikh holy book)
--the hitopadesa by narayana (animal fables with political overtones)
--the silapaddikaram (tamil narrative history poem)
--paralysis, by chandrakant bakshi (novel)
--in sight of chaos, by herman hesse (essays about dostoevsky)

i already wanna buy more

try and stop me