Tomorrow in the Battle Think on Me

Marias a sharp contrast
to the more purely StoryTellin' mode
from which I just emerged

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 16th, 2011, 3:56 am #4602

Bohumil Hrabal - Ostre sledované vlaky
have not start it yet but wanna read it today in the evening; not sure if it is the best of ideas to read one of the classics of postwar lit in-between but as it is such a slim volume I cannot resist anylonger :)

orlando
Forum junkie
orlando
Forum junkie

September 16th, 2011, 7:25 pm #4603

I'm starting Maurice by E. M. Forster after this post. I'm expecting unexpected things that have been foreshadowed but then still surprise me and someone to get confused about things before moving passed that -- or maybe he'll just totally surprise me. Either way I like reading him.

Thy thee that starts, Is, already.

byrd
Forum junkie
byrd
Forum junkie

September 17th, 2011, 10:21 pm #4604

Just back from a week in a caravan in Cornwall. Nearly finished DFW's Consider the Lobster.

I love spending time in his company.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

September 17th, 2011, 11:29 pm #4605

that's how i feel about Ford, and Fuentes. :) Sam's somewhat different in that respect. I still need to finish the Iris before we go to Dorset.
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

Jayaprakash
Forum junkie
Jayaprakash
Forum junkie

September 18th, 2011, 3:55 am #4606

Carlos Fuentes? I've always been ever so slightly disappointed, just a shade bored, by everything of his I've read.

I need to read more Hrabal. I really like the ones I've read (I Served The King Of England, Dancing Lessons For The Advanced In Age and the short story collection The Death Of Mr Baltisberger).
'This cannot be written, but it is this that I will write.'

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 18th, 2011, 4:29 am #4607

Jayaprakash wrote:I need to read more Hrabal. I really like the ones I've read (I Served The King Of England, Dancing Lessons For The Advanced In Age and the short story collection The Death Of Mr Baltisberger).
These are the ones I haven´t read but "Closely Observed Trains" and "Too Loud A Solitude" are highly recommended. I am not sure I have understood all the humor and go-back-and-forth in his style but I truely love his slight irony with which he handles the most macabre situations, a master he was and a real storyteller. Must have been an experience when Hrabal was telling stories in one of his favourite pubs lol

Dancing Lessons... personally I am not so sure about this one (a one-sentence-book) but what I wanna read next is "The Little Town Where Time Stood Still" and also a collection of letters named Total Fears which looks interesting as hell to me :)

Clarissa
Literary lunatic
Clarissa
Literary lunatic

September 18th, 2011, 8:01 am #4608

Books Burn Badly - Manuel Rivas (translated from the Galician by Jonathan Dunne)
It is not what one has experienced but what one does with what one has experienced that matters.
Aldous Huxley

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

September 18th, 2011, 10:29 am #4609

as to Fuentes, yes i felt very safe (in a very good way) when reading Terra Nostra.So when i was bored, i didn't mind being bored, good company indeed

as to Roa Bastos, who's the dog's bollocks, as Marcel might say, you need to read him if you havent already Jay
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

Jayaprakash
Forum junkie
Jayaprakash
Forum junkie

September 18th, 2011, 12:10 pm #4610

Is that the I. The Supreme fellow? I have the book.

I've read The Eagle's Thone, Inez and The Old Gringo by Fuentes. They all had premises that interested me greatly but the treatment left me just the wrong side of whelmed; Old Gringo was the closest to an outright disappointment. Strangely Inez, which seems to be the least ambitious of the three, felt the most well realised.
'This cannot be written, but it is this that I will write.'