Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

October 25th, 2009, 6:22 am #2881

The Quickening Maze, Adam Foulds

Completing my reading of the Booker shortlist for this year. I probably wouldn't have bothered except that Suz liked it and it's not very long.
?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

October 25th, 2009, 10:35 pm #2882

Lark and Termite

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

October 25th, 2009, 11:23 pm #2883

Lark and Termite - Jayne Anne Phillips
is (she says from 60 pages in)
MAGNIFICENT

I love it

biscuit, I think you'd love it too

Deleted User
Deleted User

October 26th, 2009, 11:04 pm #2884

Started Paul Auster's "INvisible" today and it's awful. 50 pages in and I got the dry heaves again.

Cave Hinds
Forum junkie
Cave Hinds
Forum junkie

October 26th, 2009, 11:10 pm #2885

I am abandoning a collection of novellas by Jim Harrison mid-read because, while his prose line-by-line is solid, his characters are thin, their humanity overly contrived, and the plots a bit too sentimental.
I've already taught my penis to say your name like a trained parakeet.
--Amichai

johnnywalkitoff
Forum junkie

October 27th, 2009, 1:36 am #2886

the jim harrison i read was great 'a good day to die' i believe it was called, but yeah i ain't ready to jump into legends of the fall (yes, i, occasionally judge books by their cover). that early book though is good, sort of reminds me of hemingway but throw in some coke and weed and bombs and crazy vets and their women.
The clock is a ceiling fan with no breeze.

Why do you, in becoming a crowd, look as plain and anonymous as a smear of dull and dying flowers?

Cave Hinds
Forum junkie
Cave Hinds
Forum junkie

October 27th, 2009, 2:07 am #2887

The one novella, Revenge, started out great: Man found half-beaten to death in the middle of a desert and then his half-hearted plans to get revenge. What turned me off was the drug lord -- a Mexican herion dealer -- who develops a fucking conscience and and and fuck it pissed me off. I might still try the other one you originally recommended, I just happened to find the Legends of the Fall collection real cheap.
--Amichai

johnnywalkitoff
Forum junkie

October 27th, 2009, 2:10 am #2888

is there a movie of Revenge with Kevin Costner that sucks except there is a hot (as i recall from my younger days) scene where he's fucking the druglords wife (or she's fucking him actually) as he's trying to drive a jeep...boner alert (or should i go with the english spelling: bonre)
The clock is a ceiling fan with no breeze.

Why do you, in becoming a crowd, look as plain and anonymous as a smear of dull and dying flowers?

Cave Hinds
Forum junkie
Cave Hinds
Forum junkie

October 27th, 2009, 2:13 am #2889

That sounds straight from the book and yep imdb confirms it. How awful...
--Amichai

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

October 27th, 2009, 4:54 pm #2890

Canox wrote: Started Paul Auster's "INvisible" today and it's awful. 50 pages in and I got the dry heaves again.
:D
i think you're tougher on Auster than even i am, sweets. But i can't fathom his apparent appeal either, and the Beckett association, come on. He is better when writingaboutthings closest to his heart, so to the silent cinema book, and most notably "in the country of last things" which i should reread to see what i make of it now, because it's the only one of his books to make any kind of impression on me

I'm still reading MacCulloch and Powys
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded